Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nothing unconstitutional with that. The Bunreacht says that the state will provide free(!) primary education. That will continue to be the case. If someone decides not to avail of that because they won't wear a mask then that's their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Struggle to see how they're determing efficacy of vaccines off a handful of cases over a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Every child will have breathing difficulties and asthma and get out of wearing the masks.

A lot of schools in Ireland have far more pressing concerns than covid and whether the pupils are wearing masks or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Every country in the world has said it will take 2 to 3 weeks to get an idea on things, then a media company comes out 5 days after it was discovered and has done the job for them. 🤦‍♂️

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Great news if this is the case BUT… how do they know this? The variant barely existed a week ago…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All sounds like great news. Like half the planet just spent five days panicking over nothing. 🙄

On the masks for kids thing we were initially spitting feathers. A relative said, "It's ok, the kids love wearing them", and we were thinking, "**** off they do".

Asked our eldest yesterday who said half their class had come in wearing masks and if they were allowed to wear one too. So yeah, they did the whole day in a mask today.

"How did it go?"

"Grand!"

🤷‍♂️

You'll do a lot more damage ranting and raving and fighting against mask wearing if the child actually wants to wear one.

The Irish Times article suggests a hard line on it from the DES but if you read past the headline it's clear that an exemption is available for any child who really doesn't want to wear a mask.

Usefulness of masks aside, I'm less concerned now about mental or social impact. Seems most kids don't need any arm twisting. It's practically a fashion accessory at this stage.

Is it constitutional to deny children access to an education if they don’t wear a uniform?

For clarity - I don’t think masks should be worn by students or teachers in primary school. Still doesn’t mean you didn’t make a ridiculous point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

They aren't. People scrambling for any type of good news desperate to throw up any old rubbish source.

More of the same pure bullsh*t. Billions of doses administered. No mechanism by which something that disappears within weeks can cause problems that go undetected for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sounds like masks have become normailised and all we're seeing is kids wanting to be like the adults who wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes it's sad but true. The younger ones want to be like their teenage siblings and neighbours .

As regards those that go in without masks , their parents might find their children coming out of school wearing masks voluntarily, given them by the school , because the children want to be like their friends.

Child psychoanalyst talking about preparing them on the news tonight and eye movements and expressions etc . Tbh I felt much of that was more appropriate to a younger child , and not the 9 to 12 year olds who have been watching everybody else wearing masks over the last 21 months , some waiting for the day they can put their own on .

The novelty will quickly wear off , but it is not the big developmental impact that it would be for the younger children , or those with special needs , language difficulties and hearing impaired .

It would ge better if whatever the misgivings , the parents would be adult enough not to pass on their issues to their children , and make what is difficult enough , traumatic .

It might cut down on other virus spread as a side effect also for the winter, but hope it is done away with as soon as possible .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Its more complicated than that. If a child or parent doesn't want a uniform, and the school won't budge, then they can source a place in another school without a uniform code. And the State's obligation is fulfilled.

In this case if the child won't wear a mask, there isn't an alternative school they can go to.

The school could put the child on remote learning, but that's OK for a child who's isolating. The time working remote is fixed and temporary.

If it's because they're not wearing a mask, the time working remotely is indefinite, so it could be argued that by treating the child differently and providing them with a substandard education, the State is failing in it's obligation.

This is why I think there won't be a hardline on it and they will relent if a parent/child digs their heels in. But if there is a hard line, no doubt a High Court case will appear in short order to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I am due to bring my nieces and nephews to the panto this weekend - personally, I have made the decision that the responsible thing to do is to cancel.

People here complain about restrictions on children. It's important to remember that this is to protect people, there are no other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,166 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't get it..

If its a pcr test, you mean to say that they have enough swabbed to swab anyone who wants a pcr test for their passport so that they can go put on Friday night?

That test would then be redundant in what 3 days? So it's back again for another test and passport update for the following Friday night's pub entry?

If it's to record antigen tests, then who polices that the person actually did his antigen test at all?

If the passport only captures your vaccination status, then it's just the same as the Covid pass here?

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something but genuinely, I don't get it!

To thine own self be true

Feck all primary schools without uniforms. In rural areas at least it’s not a option just to find the nearest school with no uniform policy. Could be 40 miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Some waiting for the day that they can put their own on like everyone else?? WTF have I just read, each day I think it can’t get anymore crazy but I’m always wrong what a country what a world.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Bring them to the Aviva or something instead were they'll be surrounded by thousands of people. They'll be safer there.

#Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Protect one set by costing others their jobs doesn't seem very protective tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree with you believe it or not .

You do realise my point was that they just want to be like their peers , not that I am in favour of masking children ?

But unfortunately anti mask attitudes will not be in those particular children's best interests and will only lend further anxiety to some children , who are , no matter what you or others think , trying very hard to make sense of all of this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Same, we've been resisting them for a while but the kids don't seem to care about them as much as the adults do.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

It was originally about protecting the old and vulnerable and we were all in it together as no one group would be singled out so we wouldn’t lock old or vulnerable people out of society.

instead we have singled out

Hospitality

Unvaccinated

and now children

who is next after this maybe just maybe the Government who spent all the money on PUP payments in the longest lockdowns so that they could pin their hopes on a vaccine silver bullet that hasn’t worked out as they thought. Now they are broke and are trying anything to distract from this failure. How can you announce something as advisory only to tell schools etc to enforce it. It’s a complete cop out. Same as trying to close Pantos , hospitality and nightclubs without actually saying so.

Today the Irish government announced a gift of half a million J&J vaccines to Nigeria, yet going by the same government(based on a tiny flawed study) they've apparently given them a somewhat ineffective vaccine that only lasts three months here in Ireland?

That's really shocking. The international equivalent of giving your mother in law a christmas present of a box of expired chocolates that you found at the back of the cupboard.

The situation is even worse than I imagined if young kids are wanting to wear masks to fit in or try to copy parents etc.

The choices we are making in this country/world fully deserve the consequences we'll eventually face as a result.

• Great to see children have more cop on than some adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Delta was here 2-3 months before they started testing for it. They need to know what to look for.

And we don't know for sure if this variant originated in South Africa. They were first to discover it and have many virus experts unlike some other African countries.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Head of Public Health Services Dr. Sharon Alroy-Preis said the first data about the efficacy of the corona vaccines against Omicron were expected to be shared with Israel by South Africa on Tuesday. However, the ministry had not yet received the information as of press time.

My guess is someone in the media got a hold of the SA data. Had it have been bad news, maybe more would have reported on it.

To be honest, you're right. I could never subject any child of mine to that utter Shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

i have been trying to be upbeat and flippant about mask wearing with my 11 yr old daughter. She has some learning difficulties and is a shy, anxious child. She is refusing to wear a mask all day in school and I’m reluctant to tell her she has to. Out of the country for the next couple of weeks so will have to coax her around or go down the homeschool route.

They won’t get rid of them without looking for something in return- next spring it will be kids who have been vaccinated can remove their masks.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's awkward, I'm sure there will be exceptions for some kids (and hopefully the schools will be accommodating to it and parents don't take the p*ss) but it also singles out the kids who don't follow the other kids even more.

Advertisement