Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine seizure - Dublin Port

Options

Comments

With the exception of The Collective Formerly Known As Shakespeare, that is a list of non-entities though. Not sure what it proves? Money + celebrity + cocaine + something, something = ?

Freud would be a better example. You know the fella, the oversexed coke head who developed a theory of mind which claimed that human activity is based on the psychic energy associated with sexual urges. What a surprise! :D

I'd like to ask him 'Dr. Freud, which came first, the theory of the libido or the cocaine addiction and associated oversexualization of everyday experience?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Majority of "celebrities" listed so far only got to drug addiction and abuse after they created something. Mostly due to boredom and sudden influx of cash. I said abuse as they did not use or experiment with them but went mostly all in. Some lasted longer some not.

There is hardly an example of ordinary Joe working 9-5 who took coke or any other drug (with possible exception of LSD or mushrooms) and suddenly got fantastic ideas or developed some extraordinary talent.

Which, 3 days after I've posted it, you have still not countered any of it even slightly. Instead you've moaned about the post being too long ... As I said before, it takes less than a minute to read what I wrote.

You started by accusing me of throwing spears... but you're the one throwing spears here. Deflecting/dismissing by calling a post fluff or claiming it's quantity over quality, when you have't even shown that there is a lack of quality.

it's nothing about too many words... it's being verbose for the sake of it

Um, you do know what verbose means, don't you? You've just contradicted yourself. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I have in my younger days, didn't like it. I've tried most drugs, they aren't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I know you're replying to the other poster here but cocaine being illegal and billions of euros being wasted worldwide trying to stop it coming into every country hasn't helped people like your family member. That's where I'm coming from. Prohibition hasn't helped anyone but the criminals. Time for some harm reduction.

• Advertisement

That may work, but the post I replied to stated that it was a harmless drug. It's far from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ya. I agree with you there too. I don't think there's any intoxicant that's completely harmless.

I actually believe that drugs should be legal, I'm not naive enough to think that it would work if just Ireland did that, it wouldn't, or that all problems associated with drug taking would disappear, they wouldn't.

your posts however go nowhere to assist the case for legalizing drugs, basically you argue that some famous people took drugs, therefore they should be legal 🙄

which is why I find it hard to believe that you're mid 50s.

And, not that it matters one bit, but in a different life, a long time ago I took any amount of different drugs. Not now, as work don't appreciate their staff engaging in illegal activities! not sure why that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭circadian

The only thing in danger of a stoner is a large bag of Doritos.

Sure, plenty of scumbags are doing scumbag things whilst having a spliff but chances are they've been on the Dutch Gold for the whole day too. I'd agree with this, of all the stoners I know I can't think of a single one that gets aggressive when baked, they simply just couldn't be arsed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

I bet you had an "aha, got you" with that last statement....

no contradiction... I've no problem with long posts with substance... I do with posts that are unnecessarily long, like yours... i.e. verbose

it's a shame that needed to be explained to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Why would I lie about my age, I'm not looking for a job or trying to seduce a younger lady. I mentioned those famous people 'cos some people think if u take any illegal drug you end up in rehab, prison or robbing OAPs, they and other less famous high-achieving people prove that's not the case. Did prohibition prevent you taking drugs.

Exactly the War on Drugs didn't prevent u taking drugs and since you gave them up, I'd bet nobody tricked or forced you to take them.

I don't think anyone believes that!

Did prohibition prevent me? I think I have already stated that I did take drugs.

yes I know u said you took drugs, it was a rhetorical question. u don't think anyone believes what, that I'm in my mid fifties or that some people believe u end up as a social wreck if you take drugs, Judges, journalists and politicians do

I was a teenager experimenting. Not a 50 odd year old pathetically trying to keep the session going.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I have seen so many people taking cocaine on nights out, smoking weed etc. At some point I stopped blaming the drug traffickers because it comes down to a personal choice in taking a drug. I think legalising drugs is the right thing to do and takes the play away from the big gangs who would have to shift to old school robberies to make money. If you understood how many people in society take cocaine on nights out you'd be surprised.

Nope. No "Aha got you" moment, but then I'm not a teenager.

You keep saying that my post was too long, lacking quality, being verbose, but... you haven't countered anything I said. Nothing. This is why I asked whether you really wanted to be on CA. This isn't a forum about the English language. It's a forum where people discuss and express their opinions on the topic on hand. Which you've consistently failed to do, except for your initial opinion piece, and even that was more about the discussion I had with another poster.

Great start on your new account btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It wouldn’t end the illegal drugs trade though... it could cause bigger issues in fact.

illegal drug dealers just make their product stronger, cheaper, get more people using that means they’ll sell more.

Older people than 50 take the most dangerous drug, alcohol. Also as they say "you're never too old to feel young"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

yes (not ending it) to both lol but that's a separate issue and not a reason for stopping legalisation/decriminalisation

Except, that's not the case in countries which have relaxed their laws about drug usage, especially where drug quality is regulated by the State. The problem arises when the State decides to tax the F out of the drug while making it available. The only reason there is a black market for cigarettes and rolling tobacco in Ireland, is because they cost so damn much in comparison with the rest of Europe.

When you look at the addiction stats for cocaine or many other drugs you find the 1 in 5 or 20% of users being more susceptible to becoming addicted, and there are a variety of factors to determine that addiction, from personal circumstances, to the quality of the drugs themselves. Typically, the purer the drug (for something like cannabis or coke), the less risk there is for the user (except for other drugs such as heroin). It's when suppliers and dealers cut their product adding in extra substances, that the drugs become far more dangerous and unpredictable.

Nothing is going to end the illegal drug trade, because they'll simply move on to something else. However, we can vastly reduce the range of products available to them to sell. As for more people using.. that doesn't really happen. At least there hasn't been any major increases in countries like Portugal as a result of their changes to drug use. Many people try cannabis or coke, once or twice, and never touch it again. TBH I suspect a large part of the initial appeal in taking drugs is because it's illegal.

Speak to any regular user of drugs and they would leap at the chance to buy their supply from the State, if it was reasonably priced, and with a guarantee for quality. Which would drastically cut into the income of the criminal gangs.

Non-entities, lots of people pay good money for their talents. You'd have ask Mr Freud or someone who was close to him that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Aye, check out California for a system that was working but no longer is. The price of legal weed is nearly $100 more per ounce. The illegal trade is 2:1 with the legal trade there, and it's all because of opposition, high taxes and unlicensed businesses are causing it. Cali legalised it, but the vast majority of their cities still have it illegal to sell. They have the least amount of proper shops per 100k population (ie: 2.1 compared to Alaska's 20.3). They need to sort that out. Albeit Alaska is similar in pricing to the illegal market over here, average ounce about $350. But pop on down to Oregon, and you'll get it for $220. So I'd be willing to pay the same price for quality, but I honestly think they need to keep it as cheap as possible, or the illicit dealers will just undercut. It's not straight forward, and Ireland is a hungry country so no doubt it would be taxed more...

Tbh, if it was legal for sale, I'd also imagine it would be legal to grow x amount of plants, so I'd only be using the dispensaries if I was stuck, growing 4 plants over the year would do me, depending on the plant yield.

A friend of mine is living in Spain, and he grows some for personal use, which is grand, but he's full of praise for the cannabis-clubs that he visits because it provides a social aspect to his use of cannabis, just as bars did for alcohol. These clubs are usually non-profit, with the owners or members providing the supply. Most places will trace any supply to ensure its quality. There is a membership monthly fee to cover the club costs, and supply, but it's not allowed to generate any actual profits. Sounds perfect to me. Although the Spanish approach is still very.. vague depending on where you are.

I do think something similar is viable in Ireland, and it would knock out most of the risks currently involved with getting cannabis here.

Where do the owners of Amsterdam coffee shops or Spanish cannabis clubs get their marijuana?

Most of it comes from illegal drug dealers. If drugs are to be legalised, they cannot come from drug cartels. So, unless the Irish government are to start licencing drug manufacturing, I'm not sure how it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

There is no need to ask anybody who was close to Freud that question because you and I are basically living in a world that was created by someone who was close to him, his equally f**ked up nephew, Mr. Edward Bernays. The man who utilised his uncles coke addled theories into ultimately creating the materialistic and advertising riddled world we are now currently stuck in. A world that doesn't give a tinkers damn about anything, save the greedy grab of greasy money.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

It seems to work in those places. I was in Tenerife just before Covid and a fella from Cork was running a cannabis club, u pay 20 euro membership, show ID and Bob's your uncle. He sold stuff to take away but he did have a sign on the wall saying it is illegal to take it off the premises. I'd be amazed if he wasn't making a living from it.

• Advertisement

?

I didn't say no one made a profit, I said it is bought from illegal drug dealers. So, not actually stopping the illegal drug trade.

Advertisement