Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speed broadband does a family need?

Options
  • 30-11-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm living in Turloughmore, Galway. Currently with Eir BB (FTTC) but want FTTH. Probably looking at moving to Sky, cheaper than Eir & easier to contact Support.

Family of 5, Netflix, Xbox, 3 mobiles, laptop all could be on the go at the same time. Up to 150MB, 500MB or 1GB speed- I'm thinking 500 should be enough, no need for 1GB, or would the up to 150MB suffice?

Thanks,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Netflix

These are the recommended internet connection speeds to stream movies and TV shows on Netflix:

• 0.5 Mb/s to view standard definition movies on a laptop computer. While you can stream Netflix at speeds of 0.5 Mb/s, the quality is grainy on a large screen, much like watching an old VHS movie. Netflix recommends at least 1.5 Mb/s.
    • 3.0 Mb/s to view standard definition video (480p) on a TV.
    • 4.0 Mb/s to view high definition video (720p, 1080p).
    • 5.0 Mb/s or more for the best 1080p experience.
    • 15 Mb/s to stream 4K (but 25 Mb/s is preferred). Also recommended is a 4K Ultra TV with an HEVC decoder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

150 Mb would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Netflix uses at most 25mbps for their highest quality stream, so you need 125mbps for all 5 of ye watching 4k HDR content at the same time.

No harm starting on the 150Mb, seeing if it's enough, and if not, upgrade to the 500mbps.

You'd really only need the extra bandwidth if the kids are downloading large games for the XBOX, and even then, that wouldn't be a constant demand.

It depends really on the best bang for buck and package you can get.

150mb is fine but if there's only a tenner a month in difference between that and the 500 mb I'd be going 500mb.

Just be quicker for the kids downloading games is all really.

Rest of ye won't notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Many of the ISP's have 500Mb as their entry level FTTH package now anyway and for those that still offer 150Mb the price differential may be as little as €5. 500Mb seems to be the sweet spot now (though there are some good deals on 1Gb too in the first year and thereafter if you haggle).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Why pay even a fiver extra a month for something the OP won't use?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭FluffPiece

The fiver a month will likely be worth it for the xbox downloads alone. Games are quite large and whilst it's unlikely to have a large impact whilst downloading, it can make a fair difference. Game sizes are already huge compared to last couple of years and only going one way.

I'd go the 500, it was enough for me with 2 housemates, 4 laptops, 2-3 TVs, couple of consoles and phones.

150 would likely be fine but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point there'll be some bandwidth issue, couple of phones looking updates while 2 people are streaming could have someone online gaming asking if they can put it off. 500 is a high enough limit that it's unlikely you'll consider that you should've got more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

You won't get 500MB/s download speed from Microsoft - probably closer to 100Mb/s.

So even then you are unlikely to be limited unless there is some 4k streaming going on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

The quicker speeds will also come with faster upload. 150 Mb has 50 Mb up, the 1 Gb has 100 Mb up.

May be relevant for your work or doing online backups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Depends on how you plan to network the house, wire the big consumers and wireless for everything else 150 will be fine, if everything is wireless I'd go 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We have a max 11mb FTTC (the Cabinet is over a km away, could even be 2 km)

That suits us(2 adults, 4 kids) fine for all the streaming services (Netflix, Now TV, Disney, NFL Game Pass etc) plus 4 tablets on the go most of the time and me WFH.

In reality your 150mb would be fine.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

5 family house here,have the same almost,1 smart tv,Android box,2 computers(light users no gaming),ps5, 5 mobiles and all worked grand on 150 with no slowdowns,we got a deal with eir to go to 500 at the same price and tbh don’t find it much difference so would go back down to 150 when this deal is over if cheaper.

start off at 150 and your provider will always allow you to upgrade no bother…it’s the downgrading part when in contract is the hassle.

Advertisement