Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Personally I really disliked BoTW and I love exploration based open world games, I'm not saying this to prove a point, I recognise it has a huge following and this is just my opinion. Usually after the first few hours of getting into an open-world game proper I just pick a direction and head off blindly for the next 20 or so hours and then just pop back to main quests every now and again when I need some focus. BoTW to me was super simplistic, the world wasn't interesting, the audio (and I am a big audio-nerd) was weak imho with medocre to decent music but empty sound effects and that god-awful noise generator for conversations (mute would have been better) with the final insult being you couldn't modify the volume of any of it independantly. Combat was ok but the little islands of bouncing cartoons that just basically ran in a straight line towards me soon got old. The puzzles were a near redeeming factor but still not enough for me to not stop after 20 hours of what felt like forced effort, and I had bought the Switch just to play this. I love exploration, seeing something on the horizon and wondering what it is, setting off and having adventures on the way. It's what drew me into Morrowind way back, that Oblivion lacked and Skyrim thankfully added back, those 'WTF is that?' moments and the treks to find out. BoTW never really felt like it rewarded me for that, again though each to their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Bethasda’s Fallout games and Skyrim are the games where the gameplay systems and technology ultimately get in the way for me, though I’d never pretend they’re bad games (well, Fallout 4’s a bad game 😅). I find the combat in both series very unsatisfying and crude, and the level of jank is immersion-ruining off the charts. There’s plenty of cool stuff to find for sure and interesting places to explore (probably the best major AAA open world franchises for that), but I feel like I’m battling against the systems and the weak RPG mechanics to get there. Whereas I never really minded the weapons degradation or cooking in BotW, even if they aren’t my favourite parts of the game. Whereas I’m pretty sure there was one big battle set piece in Skyrim that was so janky and unconvincing that I didn’t turn on the game again after that!

Horses for courses and all that though :)

I remember doing a battle in Skyrim on my PS3 and I swear the FPS was 1.

It's a ten year old game, tbf. But I still think the world they built is endlessly fun to just roam around in.

So many hours spent "oh lets see what's over there" I couldn't replay it though. I agree with you on the maps they make but the combat and the engine has let their games down massively over the years. I remember playing the finale of Fallout New Vegas on the 360 at like 5 fps. It was probably patched but at launce 5fps was no exaggeration.

I heard New Vegas was shocking alright.

I'm not claiming Skyrim is perfect, it's far from it. Some of the quests are quite poor.

But I keep going back to it. I think it's because of the world itself, it feels like a place not just a game. I still find new things and what I find always fits with the world and adds to my understanding of it, the lore, etc. It's like it has a feeling of history or something.

I think that's what they excel at. World building.

• Advertisement

Same. Really disliked it.

I had a go on it in an emulator and thought there was a problem with the sound because of the emulator. Had to YouTube a playthrough of the first part and realised my sound was actually fine, there just wasn't any music to speak of and that first campfire was meant to sound devoid of all anything.

Think I did 2-3 hours or so until I hit the classic Zelda where you have to do maybe three extra quests to get the kite so you could fly down. Did one and just didn't care. No atmosphere because of the sound and the game had none of the charm of the old games which are some of my favourite ever.

I'm back playing Terraria now after introducing it to my girlfriend and she loves the music. It's an absolute masterclass in audio design and provides the game with so much of its character.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Treated myself to an early Christmas present today and bought The Forgotten City. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

One of my favourite games of the year, not the type I'd usually go for but took a punt and loved it. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If you get the wrong ending make sure you go back to it.

The game auto saves a lot so just load the second auto save and it will be before that decision you made to get the wrong ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Details on cancelled Need for Speed Tv show

Need for Speed may have made a mild cinematic debut back in 2014, but it almost made its way to television screens in the mid-2000s, according to former producer Craig Lieberman.

On his YouTube channel, Lieberman detailed how after he was employed as a consultant on Need For Speed: Underground at EA, he pitched a reality TV series to the company based on the popular racing game franchise. Lieberman's idea was to pit several teams against one another in challenges that were inspired by the games, with each squad of contestants being responsible for assembling their own vehicles that would be used in these events.

According to Lieberman, one idea was for teams to compete in a timed lap challenge, and then move on to a segment where a panel of judges would vote on their cars and performance. To tie into the release of Need for Speed: Underground, members from each time would go head-to-head in in-game races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That sounds pretty cool. Netflix dod something similar a year or two ago and it was alright, 'Mericanisms aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭a2deden

Im not a Nintendo fan, but BOTW is nothing like you describe. It is a amazing adventure in every way. If anyone has a superiority complex around here its you, you are dismissing a game you have never played ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The reason breath of the wild and in extension Fenyx rising worked for me was how the exploration mechanic was delivered. You see something interesting, you go there and the reward is at that point, be it a mini dungeon, puzzle or loot. The reward was immediate meaning that you felt progression even if you were not advancing the story.

The rockstar games points of interest usually lead you to a mission in which entailed of travelling for 5 minutes then fight for 3. The travelling was needless filler that eventually I got bored of.

I also did not hate the weapons mechanic in Zelda. It encouraged experimentation with weapons that normally I would ignore such as the lance or heavy weapons.

A chef in the local towns would remove the churn of the cooking mechanic as well, where you give the ingredients and the chef will supply the food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only tangibly gaming related but...

An ad for rip-off merchants CEX popped up on YouTube the other day before a video. Quite to my surprise it turns out the official marketing line is that it's pronounced 'sex' rather than 'C-E-X'.

Truly amazed someone made that particular call 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I got a fright a few users ago when my sister said she picked up one of her son's Xmas presents in "the CEX shop" and it took me a few seconds to realise not everyone calls it C-E-X like I'd always assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

NFSU 1&2 are the only proper racing games I ever liked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you Forza horizon? More arcady than proper but I'd say it's along the same lines as nfsu

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow didn't know people still came on the Internet to sh1t on games they've never played, that made me all nostalgic for the old PC Gamer forums back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People come on the internet to sh!t on everything regardless of whether they were part of it or not. Opinions don't need experience anymore. Also, not sure about the PC Gamer forums, but I'd imagine they were probably rife with pc master race crap? The PS forums used to be good, spent a lot of time on there in my early 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I watched 8 bit Christmas today. It's on sky movies premier. It had potential to be a 80s style kids adventure set around getting into all kinds of shenanigans while trying to get their hands on the much sought after NES. But it is a bit light on adventure.

it's okay. There are a few funny bits and the cast is good. it was good to see the old girl in action. And it had the power glove too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think CEX is good for recycling games that might otherwise sit unused in attics across the land. It would be nice to have more places like this at more reasonable second hand prices. But really, the population here probably doesn't warrant it and 2nd hand games, especially Nintendo have gone stupid in price, and everything else going digital.

But I wonder how good are they on that 2 year warranty if you buy some hardware there. And who pays more in cex for second hand Vs new ? Unless you have some vouchers ? Even for stuff readily available in shops or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I picked up Chorus yesterday , I hadn't seen anything about it previously but it's a great old-schoolish feeling space shooter with some modern polish. More Freelancer than Starlancer if that rings a bell at this stage :) . The visuals and audio are excellent with great performance on PC for what's on offer. The story is as melodramatic as expected but has some highpoints in it's telling - like your relationship with your sentient ship 'Forsaken', some pretty good dialogue in between the more cheesey main story points. Controls are responsive and there are just enough combat options to make it interesting without ruining momentum with complexity. It's a semi-open world with multiple large map areas but being space based it doesn't suffer from the travel focus that others can gain over time and zipping through the various factories and asteroid fields I've found so far are a joy. It's the type of game you can pick up to kill a few minutes and be sitting there playing hours later. Well worth a look imho if space shooters remotely interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I brainfarted for a moment and read freespace instead of freelancer and googled it excited and was about to come back and give you an earful on it looking nothing like freespace.

then realized I misread and was like oooooooooh yeah freelancer was kinda weird 3rd person pseudo space sim.

carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished Death's Door last night. Terrific game. Frustrating in parts but just so well designed and executed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally gotten around to Metroid Dread and really enjoying it. One thing that is bothering me is not having the morph ball as one of the first upgrades, really missing it. Why can't Metroid duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement
Advertisement