Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do people make of this overhanging [public] building?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Harsh comments there sco24, very patronizing. Do you work for the county council? Would you stand over that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

Sorry OP, but I'm going to have to say that I'd place the blame on you for this one.

Single lane one way street in a built up area with double yellow lines on both sides and a vehicular entrance immediately opposite to the curb you mounted.

1. Correct lane positioning in the center of the road would have seen you sail past the kerb with no need to swerve, you were a bit too far left.
    2. Due care and attention with regard to the entrance on the right should have made you slow down and be prepared to stop anyway, at an appropriate speed you would have observed the obstacle.
    3. in the photographs you posted, here and elsewhere of the aftermath it is clear that the sun is behind, therefore viability due to sun glare from ahead is not an issue.

The road was clear, it was sunny, dry, pretty much perfect conditions and there is no real excuse for not seeing or avoiding the edge of the road, the only way that happened was driving without due care and attention, **** as it might seem, you assumed the road was straight, didn't pay attention, the rest is history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, it's very possible he went back to photograph it a day or two after he hit it.

fair play to him for being able to find it again though with no signs as to where it was...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can understand how you might puncture one tyre if you didn't see it, but puncturing two suggests that you were driving too fast for that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭SC024

Not intended to be in any way harsh or patronizing, just calling it as I see it. I don't work for the council I wouldn't stick there way of doing things but that's a whole other kettle of fish Me standing over it or not is irrelevant to be honest. If the above happened to me, I'd curse myself for not paying attention, learn the lesson & then move on. I don't see why the country has developed this culture of everything being someone else's fault. Not having a go there at anyone specifically but generally speaking this culture has prevailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The fact you hit a stationary object and did the level of damage you did would suggest that you are not a decent enough driver.

It's a wide one way road , I've no idea why you'd drive so close to the left especially when there's a boundary wall.

Paying any attention to road markings you would see the double yellow lines moving out even if you didn't notice the kerb.

What's the speed limit on that road? I'd be surprised in a built up area if it's over 50km/h. I'd also be surprised if you could do that damage if driving under 50km/h.

I suspect you were driving too fast and not paying enough attention. You are now looking to blame anyone but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Leaving aside the issue of the OP hitting the kerb... this looks like piss poor building design. Question: if this were a commercial or residential building, could they have possibly acquired planning permission for this construction? I very much doubt it. It's created a road hazard that higher sided vehicle could hit. And what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There is plenty of room to allow a high sided vehicle to avoid the building. hitting the kerb is bad enough but hitting a building should result in a driving ban.

Nah, he posted it elsewhere just after it happened, car is parked up on the right there with two flat tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Here's my thoughts on it:

1. You absolutely should have noticed the kerbing and should have been far enough out from it not to hit it

2. It's a shite design from the council that the useless f*ckers wouldn't let anyone else away with, typical incompetence

3. The only way I'd see you maybe having a case would be if the planning documents stated that there should be hazard warning signage at that point which is now missing. I'm not sure how would you bring such a case and whether it would be worth it. Your best bet might be to simply notify them of the missing signage so that it gets replaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'd look for compensation. People have definitely hit it in the past, sure someone probably knocked the sign over.

If they complained and the council STILL did nothing, then you have a case.

Please report back. There should be some consequences for sh*te road planning.

Should be consequences for not looking where you are going and driving into a stationary object.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People hit potholes all the time, and they can cause serious damage.

The warning signs were put there for a reason, and their absence along with bad design caused the OP to hit the kerb.

The thing is though a pothole can be very hard to notice as it's flush with the road. A kerb with double yellow lines around it shouldn't be that difficult to notice.

If you go back in the street view the road is actually very narrow. The entrance is more a lane than anything.

It then opens up with on street parking on either side so the road is still fairly narrow.

It then opens up to the wider road that the OP has photographed.

Personally if I was driving on that road I'd be hard-pressed to go above 30/40 km/h especially beside parked cars as there's always the fear someone will open the passenger door or a child stepping out. Etc.

I suspect the OP saw the road opening up and put their foot down as I can't see how you'd do the level of damage if speed wasn't involved. Especially to both wheels.

Whatever about getting compensation from hitting a pothole I can't see you getting compensation from hitting a kerb, especially one that has yellow hatching before it and double yellow lines around it.

It might be badly planned but you're supposed to drive at a speed you can recognize stationary objects at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

car is parked up on the right there with two flat tyres.

Is that the OP's vehicle illegally parked on the double yellow lines? Looks to be causing an obstruction for any other vehicle driving down that road forcing them to stay left and causing them to mount the curb as they try to avoid it. It also appears to be obstructing the view for anything trying to exit the gable end of the building on the right.

Just another observation, that's a very shady looking character on the road in the first photo 😉

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

There are signs on slip roads off motorways to warn someone if they try to enter via the exit, still happens, claims like this are why coffee cups warn of the potential of hot contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You want to see the damage I did to 2 wheels when I drove over a concrete median at ~20mph. Low speed for kerbs is walking pace anything above that and you'll do damage to tyres and possibly alloys if you've low profile tyres

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

only time i've done any damage to a car tyre in that way was hitting a pothole sitting in a large puddle; well, it wasn't a pothole, it was roadworks where the workmen had backfilled their work with gravel or hardcore in preparation of coming back the next day, but the gravel had been washed away (it was a very stormy night).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The previous signs could have said anything. Perhaps they were a "Caution Children" sign or a "No parking" or "Clearway"?

The obligation is on the driver to pay care to their surroundings. If it was a pedestrian/animal or another car or a great big hole in the ground, that's on the driver to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,455 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't all footpaths protrude into the road? Not sure I get that part.

I also don't understand how the OP didn't see that kerb, and how they damaged two tyres rather than just one? Did the incident take place on a rainy night? If it was on a clear day like in the photos then how can you not see it?

Maybe there is some legal loophole to do with signage that gets the OP the result he wants, but there are a few awkward questions there that he would want to be prepared to answer if he pursues this.

• Advertisement

Did the incident take place on a rainy night?

post #2 asks that question and the OP dodges it in his reply.

The OP isn't exactly being 100% sincere I don't think anyway.

This thread surely belongs in the motors forum as it's a motors issue.

He's trying to throw some secondary argument that the building shouldn't overhang in case a truck hits it. On the little research I've done, basically trying to find the speed limit on the road, but it looks like trucks are banned from the majority of the roads so it's a moot point.

Also the entrance to this particular road is extremely narrow in my opinion you'd be hard pressed to get anything larger than a "white goods delivery van" through it. So again reinforcing the moot point.

He made a mistake he hit a footpath, own it and move on.

Post edited by Princess Calla on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The overhead maps view shows how much the building overhangs the road, its actually quite considerable.

Also going back to 2009 it appears there was a gate at that location, it seems that this path exists purely to allow pedestrians get to the open area in front of the building, would have made much more sense to open directly onto that area and leave the road un obstructed.

OP I'd bring a claim, whats the worst that can happen? Especially if someone else has already raised the same concern, same with pot holes, if the council have received a previous complaint then that changes their liability I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The OP needs to pay better attention to their driving, saying they did not see the footpath / kerb is just not good enough, they didn't see it because they weren't looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why do we have traffic cones and warning signs so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Don't know you'd get two punctured tyres hitting that kerb?

Very poor building design there. Look back at the old Google Maps images from 2009. Clean run up that road.

How did they get away with cantilevering that over the wall.

the overhang of the building has no bearing on the OP hitting the kerb.

these don't absolve people of the requirement to pay attention to where they're driving their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just went up the full length of that O'Rahilly Street on the Streetview. It's a fairly tight stretch in the run up to the council building. Not sure what the speed limit is but I'd reckon the council would make the case that it would be well below the requirement to blow two tyres.

I'd agree with other posters that the overhang of the building is pretty poor. If you're making a case OP, go with the overhead map view, it looks particularly bad. I don't know why they didn't angle the glass structure in a couple of feet on the O'Rahilly side to bring it inside the boundary wall. Looks like a Dermot Bannon glass box special....

• Advertisement

what bearing does the overhang have on the OP hitting the kerb?

Advertisement