Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You can request a covid recovery cert after 11 days, I don't know if this is what they are looking for as it is as clear as mud, but this is probably the best you can get

https://www.covidcertificateportal.gov.ie/en-US/issue-recovery-cert/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, if we're going to freak out about that much deaths, we'd be banning everyone from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Which of course is exactly the kind of thing government are aiming for. Same as the stunt they pulled with the nightclubs - not closing anything, but making things so awkward people will decide not to bother.

With all due respect, please get a sense of perspective

I don't like these restrictions

But if omicron doubles cases it will double hospital numbers unless there's sufficient numbers boosted

That will over run hospitals even if 90% only ever have a cold from it

Over run your hospitals and you are in trouble if you are dependent on the public system for any non covid illness that should have you in hospital

It is serious versus the inconvenience of antigen tests masks etc

If people don't get that,think again

If you still don't get it,most people do thankfully

We will know in a few weeks if omicron can cause these problems

Initial signs are that it can

In which case acting early saves things being worse later

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

you have to get the test in the country you’re returning from I’m afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,242 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

This has not been 100% clarified.

Darragh O'Brien said it's possible to get tested in Ireland before you fly, travel abroad and return to Ireland with negative antigen test on arrival.

Makes no sense but nowhere is it confirmed travellers will have to get the test in the country they're returning from unless I missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Initial signs aren't saying hospitals are going to be overrun or anything else as of yet ,so a bit of perspective on your behalf is needed also

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Interesting article overall on Omicron from a country that is well advanced with high vaccine/booster penetration. But this quote caught my eye:

'Two cardiologists from Sheba Medical Center were verified as infected with the Omicron variant, a spokesperson for the hospital confirmed. He said they were experiencing “very light symptoms.”

One of the doctors, in his 50s, brought the variant into Israel upon returning from a medical conference in London. He tested negative when he boarded the airplane from the United Kingdom to Israel and on arrival, but a few days later began experiencing symptoms.

Once he tested positive, his results were sequenced and on Tuesday he was confirmed positive for the variant.'

Goes to show that pre-departure/post-arrival testing is not a a particularly effective measure against importing the virus from other geographies. The important point is that vaccines do work in preventing serious illnesses 'Pfizer vaccine is just slightly less effective in preventing infection with Omicron than with Delta – 90% as opposed to 95% – while it is as effective – around 93% – in preventing serious symptoms at least for those vaccinated with a booster' (source: same article)

my 2 cents:

I also got the vaccine primarily for traveling without hassles/costs. It is a pain to have to get the booster and it is a sign that these vaccines are not the panacea we were led to believe a year ago. But without doubt, beats having more draconian travel restrictions like we had Jan-July this year (fines, hotel quarantine, news crews chasing tourists at airports).

I got 2 inoculations of the Pfizer super juice, I dont see the logic in not getting a third one honestly. Also because, where I travel to (mainly Italy/Spain) you'll need proof of it to do pretty much anything social while you're there (restaurants, public transport, coffee shops, amusement parks, cinemas)!

What I'll likely do is time my booster so that it'll cover me for mid-term/Easter and summer holidays. If it becomes a once per year affair, I can live that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

I really can't understand this nonsense. I've no issue following sensible restrictions but this kind of stuff is comical. I'm really getting fed up at this stage with all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Apologies in advance if i have posted this twitter link incorrectly.

Straight from the "horses mouth " last night when called out about it on Primetime.

"Still picks up a lot " ... madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Double cases and you double hospital numbers

The relationship is linear

All the signs so far are that Omicron spreads more easily than Delta

We will have clarity in a few weeks

2 points here

1.This thread is going to have an over proportion of people 'who got the vaccine to travel'

Ergo it's going to have an over proportion of anger at restrictions like this

Thats not the norm

2. The main effect of this restriction covid wise is going to reduce numbers travelling because of either cost or the risk of being stuck abroad positive

Similar to pre covid cert except travelling isn't fineable

It might pick up a few cases but very few

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

"But if omicron doubles cases it will double hospital numbers unless there's sufficient numbers boosted"

There is not yet sufficient evidence that this will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

For what it's worth, my experience is that professional antigen tests are easy to get aboard. I had two done last summer for travel purposes when not yet vaccinated - in a small Spanish tourist resort and fairly rural part of Poland. I also saw in Berlin last month an entire row of check-in desks at the airport is converted into a Covid testing zone.

They can be a bit harder to find online in advance of travelling, but ask on the ground and you should have no problems finding them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sadly this is the reality with a lot of restrictions. They know that it will naturally reduce mobility and reduce transmission as a result.

The same with the panto guidelines. They dont have to make it a rule, they know enough people will heed the advice. (and the government gets out of having to provide financial supports for the industry)

Our top civil servants earning their pay suggesting these things

I doubt it's the politicians brainwave!

On the plus side,it could be worse for travellers, a LOT worse

A zero covid travel circuit break ala Israel for example followed by MHQ and or a tighter pcr timeline for flights with a +48hr follow up test that needs to be booked in advance of flying home

Just an antigen now...its nothing if you really want to fly

(Except for the risk of being stuck abroad)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Nope you don't. It was laid bare to Donnelly how silly it was last night the very scenario of someone getting a test on a thursday, going to the UK that evening and coming back Saturday and doing what they want over there while getting the test here pre departure. He said yes that's possible, only has to be 48hrs for antigen and 72hrs for PCR. Doesn't matter where it's taken.

That loophole might close soon I'd say...

God be with the days only people posting here knew about it

Doubt it, sounds like it'll be in it when the regulations are signed in. All they care about is the validity of the test in the timeframe. It's window dressing

• Advertisement

I suppose you're right

Its effective window dressing though as it will deter some travel

It also gives the appearance of doing something

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

A lot of comments of people worrying about getting stuck abroad with positive tests.

I can understand this if there are home/work commitments to be back for but I’ve heard a few people talking about it only from a financial point of view only.

Worth noting that most travel insurance policies will now cover you for extended stay due to COVID, and even some regions in Spain provide this for free if your insurance doesn’t cover it.

Ive travelled a few times whilst requiring tests this year and as people have said it’s not as difficult as people are making it out to be. Especially if an antigen test is all that is needed most airports will have a testing centre if you haven’t been able to find one in local pharmacy etc.

I’m just back from US so no plans to travel in next few weeks but if I did I certainly wouldn’t be cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

I beg your pardon - I assumed where others had posted that last night it was based on information, seeing as taking one here before travelling and therefore putting yourself at risk of catching it is just pointless, but hey, our betters know more than us 😂

It's pointless and it was put at him and he kind of just smiled and nodded without answering the question and then rattled on about being in favour of anitgen tests for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Ten days in one's own home would barely be tolerable. Even a slim chance of having to spend ten days in a hotel room doesn't really bear thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I think that’s exactly the point - people do have family / work commitments. It’s also the run into Christmas. If you’re travelling back after 15th December and happen to test positive, that’s Christmas in Ireland gone. That will put a lot of people off.

There was a group of 4 of us going away next Thursday to Sunday. Now just two of us are going after yesterday’s announcement. The two that are going will bring our work laptops with us, should we get stuck we can work away where we are, the others don’t have that luxury.

While doing very little from stopping the import of the virus, it does a massive amount to people’s plans and confidence to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

And tag on a couple of kids to that mix, never mind missing school/work/family commitments - honestly can see why lots of people cancelling or not booking!

Now maybe if I young free & single & could work from anywhere might be worth the (TBF tiny) risk for a holiday or weekend away...?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I understand people are nervous traveling in Covid times but the chances of someone contracting the virus - assuming all reasonable precautions are taken (masks, sanitizer, washing, distance) - and it showing up in a antigen test taken 2 days after arrival on a 4 day trip (or 48hrs before departure) are quite minuscule. You could even take a PCR 72hrs before departure which would leave 1 day to get infected and incubate it sufficiently for it to be detectable.

Like the example I posted above: the Israeli doctor was at conference in the UK, tested negative pre-departure, tested negative again post-arrival and only tested positive once symptoms came on days later. i understand it's not 100% but very few things are in life are... you could go on a holiday, get kidney stones/appendicitis/hit by a car and have to spend days in a hospital.

everybody has different risk tolerances but i'd consider a 4 day trip as extremely low risk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anyone know what the wait time is like in Dublin airport for a test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 TheDuchess

Can I just confirm if I am flying into Dublin Friday night that I need to have taken an antigen test. On the radio this morning, they said the new rules were coming in at midnight Friday. (I assume they meant 12:01am Friday as opposed to midnight friday night).

Advertisement