Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Seems he isn't happy with the price per sqft of 138, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know is it enough it does seem ballpark right, part of problem is building costs are high at the moment and only going one way, particularly if you add demand of few thousand houses in Donegal.

I don't think a price per sqft is the best way of going about it tbh. Are they just saying you have a 2000sqft house so you can build a new 2000sqft house at 138/sqft.

It really needs some better thinking to try keep costs down. Engage a developer, come up with a number of plans for different size houses, get a set price for each, let people pick a house based on their needs (family size), build of those plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Foundations?

planning permission?

Are we just going to pretend they dont exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Just from a quick go at the rebuild cost calculator on the Chartered Surveyors website, €138 looks to be marginally more than they're using - so it looks to be what you'd get if you claimed off your insurance if needed to rebuild your house for a reason covered under the policy.

And the €420,000 limit looks like the scheme would fund houses up to about 3,000 sq ft.

Very tough to see where a compromise can be reached, as Mica campaign is looking for a blank cheque. On the other hand, many are disturbed by the high level of support already on offer, which anyone renting at present would see as a bonanza.

I think the general public will be impatient to see at what point, if any, does Government tell a sectional interest to sod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

I pitty Joe Mchugh and Charlie McConalogue for having to deal with some of the campaigners demands all while they walked away from the working group tasked with dealing with the issue to moan to the press. Then we have the McBrearty's million euro homes in press too. Builders in Donegal will be lining their pockets with government money, houses that now have build costs that wouldn't have gone near during their original construction. Anyway some of the lead campaigners seem to work in the construction industry and is likely to pocket some of this money too? ( anytime I see them they have the hard hat on) or is it like Dustin the Turkey just for show. I don't think they will be out working for free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭doc22

On the revised scheme, the mica crowd were on local radio here in Donegal stated there was no need for landlords to register for the RTB(wrong)

Then the main man himself was on Twitter advising no one to apply for the new scheme yet the same man came on Newstalk and stated he just registered for the RTB for €100 and backdated the application for the year so he could attempt to qualify for the revised scheme. Wonder why they didn’t register before…….

I’d don’t think a man who has a mica home(fair enough) but seems to have a mica rental and seems to work in construction and hence an increase in government funds would be potentially going into their back pocket should be given so much air time and deemed to represent your typical mica homeowner. They seemed to be dazzled by basic maths on drivetime.

Taxpayers who satisfy all their legal obligations shouldn’t be forced to help someone who doesn’t(RTB registration…)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Much of what I assumed was the case. There's an entire bunch of investors shouting from the roof tops on this. And actual families who's principle private residences are being silenced or dragged along by the fellas pushing for their own interests.

They seem to believe people around the country will he happy to pay for this and add to their already higher build costs to boot.

I don't want to pay a penny for investors properties I went though enough of that nonsense since 2008. Caveat emptor. We shouldn't be bailing these out either invididuals or investor groups again.

Principle primary residents. Family homes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The bit about the PRTB is very very telling about the nod and wink attitude going on. The fact it was an explicit sticking point tells you all you need to know about investor properties.

No doubt built at low cost materials and probably labour from over the border. And not registered with PRTB for tax. Ah the joys of the nod and wink land that Donegal appears to occupy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/1130/1263962-mica-redress-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

More details now emerging:

*Hard cap of €420k

*Sq/ft cap of €145 for the first 1000sq ft

*Property registered with the RTB at the start of this month will be eligible.

*The price is expected to exceed €2bn

*No real details as of yet on the repair aspect of the programme.

Seems to me to be a very generous offer, and the protesters should grab it with both hands and say thank you. The exclusion of businesses, and holiday homes will prove interesting and perhaps divisive for those protesting. I can't really see homeowners being that motivated to protect holiday home owners and investors though.

Indeed, taxpayer gets stuffed again. I take it signals were sent out to register second houses with the RTB, so that's the holiday homes looked after. No requirement, I'd assume, to actually have a tenant in place.

• Advertisement

The biggest losers here are first time homebuyers who will now see the build price floor increase due to the block levy in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hope revenue checks the issue of mortgage interest relief being claimed.

Indeed, no-one seems worried about their ability to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sure why would we be, these lads haven't had a march or anything yet, clearly they are not serious.

They're allegedly still not happy.

Is there any capacity in Government to tell them where to get off.

Offer renters €145 per square foot to buy there own accommodation, and see if they complain.

Then at least Government would actually get the votes they are paying for. This Donegal crowd won't voting for Government parties, no matter how generous the package.

Like, seriously, is Government going to entertain another round of whinge?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They got a sweet deal there more than I thought the Government would bring to the table so they need to just take it and go away now because I think the public are getting a bit sick of all the whinging.

Rejection of this offer would be nothing more than greed seeing as its the rest of us footing the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So SF think the deal isn't good enough, might get a few more votes up in Donegal but its going to piss off folks in the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd be interested in the opinion of a few different EU bodies as to the Government committing taxpayers money to this, in this particular fashion, at all.

I'm probably way off, but there are limits to State intervention in what should be commercial issues, i.e., between the quarries, the makers, the builders and the insurance companies.

In my personal opinion, the State could meet its obligation to the affected homeowners by offering group housing in a nearby town or village, delivered by a State body.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The greed. The pure and utter greed and sense of entitlement from these people! This woman below is complaining that even though her house will get completely rebuilt and she'll have a newly built house, that because some of the houses are holiday homes in the estate and are not included in the program that her house will never get the value back. And we're supposed to feel sorry for them?

No one is entitled to their property increasing in value. Anyone who buys a home/property knows the value can go down.

• Advertisement

So it looks like the protesters aren't happy with what the government have come up with, even though this is the largest "compensation" scheme ever dreamt up. From my view, the offer is quite generous and really should be grabbed with both hands, and I'd happily take a grant of €145/sqft to build my house.

So where does the movement go from here? To be honest, I think it depends on how the media frame this offer. Up until now, the protesters have been treated with kid gloves and the freedom to present their story unchallenged. I think that is quite likely to change if they continue to seek further compensation.

Then again, the protesters calculus may be that they have nothing to lose by continuing on. The government is not likely to withdraw the offer of support should protests continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Assuming €2 billion cost, 25k per annum house builds to pay for it, assume government pays upfront and has 2% interest to pay + expects to recoup money in around 12-13 years, then that adds €8k to the average house build price up front, or assuming a 25 year mortgage at 2.5% interest (and that the extra €8k means €8k extra needs to be paid back), about €15k extra per house/apartment built to be paid off.

That allows for no addition cost for the additional regulations + regulator etc. - and assumes that consultant fees and other fees (and VAT) calculated are not increased by the increased construction cost.

I really hope that there was no rumours weeks ago of the requirement to have a tenancy registered with the RTB to be part of the scheme.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they knew they'd have to register. Would be typical of Ireland for that to happen.

I think this 420k figure is disgraceful.

You can talk all you like about planning, demolition and foundation costs but what about all the massive costs saved by reusing materials? Windows, Doors, Kitchens, Piping, Boilers, Fireplaces, Roofing etc should all need to be re-used.

It is disgraceful that someone who built their house maybe 20 years ago, has barely any mortgage or no mortgage and now get a brand new house and thus, as house prices have increased massively in 20 years, they now have a massive increase in net worth.

The state should be taking equity in every house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Excessively generous scheme, anyone looking for more now is cravenly greedy.

Jesus lads, you better be careful with all those comments about people looking for a free house, you'll get yourselves in trouble!

Oh wait, this is a real forum where you don't have to just toe the Donegal line, carry on so!

There should be zero coverage for investment/BTL properties, its an investment that went badly, thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

If someone had a 2400 square foot house, so will be “out of pocket to the tune of €65k” to rebuild, according to reports, couldn’t they just build a 1500 square foot house instead? That still seems like a decent size to me. And if they reuse things like kitchens, fixtures and fittings, I really don’t see how it can cost that much? Surely this can be executed in such a way that it is more cost effective than what is being made out.

Well sure they could, but they want to get back exactly the house they bought/built, though of course at today's standards, and they don't want to have to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

If they're saying they will accept absolutely nothing less than a house the exact size as the one they had before, then I'm sorry but they've lost me completely. I'm currently buying a 900 square foot house in Dublin that I have been saving for for years and years. It's also a complete kip of a place. Me and thousands of others like me probably won't have kids, as we're ageing out, as it takes so long to get your own place.

I think what happened with the mica houses is absolutely horrendous, I can't imagine the stress, but you know what- sometimes terrible things happen in life and you won't get out of it completely scot-free. Would another option be agreeing to add another €40k or whatever, onto the cost of their mortgage? I guess this is difficult with the banks. But there seem to be lots of options that haven't even been considered, because they do not give the mica homeowners their exact previous house at zero cost to them. Billions and billions of cost for the rest of us, but none to them.

They see it as unfair that they have to pay for something that they see is not their fault, but cant see why the rest of us would see it as unfair that we have to pay for something that was nothing to do with us, all while ignoring the fact that only one side ends up with a new house.

• Advertisement

Will the state now compensate anyone who has bad things happen to them?

If a cowboy builder takes 50k to build and extension and the wind blows it over after a week, are the state going to rebuild it for free?

If someone buys a car from donedeal and the car turns out to be stolen, does the state pay them the 20k they lost?

If someone gives money to a charity that turns out to be a scammer or ceo is charged with stealing funds, does that mean the state will pay them back all their donations?

If I invest in $hitcoin and it turns out to be a scam, are the state going to give me back all my investment?

Advertisement