Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Good lad Pat 😂 🤣

They really do think they are the elite and this country should be run according to their whims.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And government. They are the ones ultimately responsible for increasing restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Not one challenge from any politician about this nonsense.

I really hope parents do some sort of push back on this, if schools are that unsafe then they shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We have a dysfunctional political system in Ireland. The opposition are in lock-step with government and NPHET on this and in fact have often called for more restrictions over and above what we have had to deal with for the last 21 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Xander10

If Covid disappeared we could all start feeling better.

Or even if NPHET disappeared, I think my mood would improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Children are tougher than you think and trying to make them soft and weak isn't a help either.

I suspect that the children of this period will be far more resilient and strong for this.

Perspective and experience in life are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Every single schools code of conduct will say comply or compliance at least a dozen times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

People need to switch off from the scare mongering media and get on with things.

There is an unhealthy obsession on these threads of people listening to the media just so they can jump on here and give out about what has been said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Helen Lovejoy effect is more contagious here than Omicron.

You're right but unfortunately in Ireland our politicians seem to govern by what is deemed popular, usually from the media and to a smaller extent certain social media figures. (Note: Boards.ie has zero influence on this 🙂 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

True but some in the media have their own obsessions and it is also how very large numbers of people get their information and some positions on COVID. They have been pretty poor at times, everywhere, not just here.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

I’m only waiting for some schools not to miss a trick and like what they do with uniforms, the child can only wear a mask with the school crest on it ,which they probably sell for a fiver a pop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If NPHET disappeared, we would all feel far better I suspect.

I think many people have resigend themselves to the fact that covid isn't going away.The fear of what mad ideas might come into NPHET's head is becoming greater than the fear of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

some brilliant new restrictions from the government yesterday with apparently more restrictions to be sought from NPHET on Thursday

"Christmas travel plans have been thrown into doubt after the Government introduced strict new rules for international travel.

Tens of thousands of people planning to travel to Ireland over the coming weeks will have to ensure they have a negative Covid-19 test before they leave their country of origin, even if they are vaccinated.

The new rules could leave fully vaccinated passengers stranded in countries to which they travelled if they cannot produce a negative Covid-19 test before returning home.

The Cabinet agreed to review the restrictions after two weeks, but a senior government source said they expected the rules to be place all the way up to Christmas.

“I can’t see us learning enough about Omicron that would reassure us in two or three weeks,” they said.

The Cabinet was briefed on positive indicators on the spread of the virus but was warned that Nphet is likely to recommend more restrictions when it meets tomorrow.

The travel restrictions announced yesterday are among the strictest in Europe, with only Portugal introducing a similar regime. Nphet wanted incoming passengers to be required to produce a negative PCR test taken within the 72 hours before they arrived in Ireland.

However, the Government instead decided to also permit passengers to produce a negative antigen test taken within the 48 hours before their arrival.

Antigen tests must be administered professionally and cannot be home test kits.

Passengers coming into the country who refuse to produce a negative test may face fines, a Government spokesperson said. Some may even face imprisonment as a last resort if they refuse to comply with the new international travel rules.

The Government is also examining possible fines for carriers that do not conduct proper pre-flight checks of passengers to ensure they have their test results.

On arrival in Ireland, there will be “spot checks” by border management units and immigration gardaí. Passengers without a test result or without the correct test will have to quarantine at home and immediately get a PCR test.

Officials were last night drafting new legislation to underpin the travel restrictions for passengers.

This in a country where the new variant is probably here already, the government or any scientists don't know enough about it, the desease is ahead of NPHET predictions yet we have more new restrictions coming in all the time

government also look to reintroduce emergency powers up to March but can be extended until June next year

No doubt they will end up further extending for the whole of next year as well

Perhaps some will.

But others may grow up fearing removing their mask. Fearing groups of people. Not able to interact well. Terrified of germs etc.

PTSD may become a huge issue after this pandemic for all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Trouble is you can't "get on with things" if you are involved in health services, education, hospitality or aviation, to name the obvious ones.

Anybody involved in the above, and others, needs to be dealing with this in many different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They'll probably recommend the extension of the vaccine cert again which has been knocked back twice in the last 10 days by government.

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be any political will to change anything else for the next 2 weeks until more is known regarding Omicron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

People need to turn off the news if they can't deal with the reality of a pandemic. Coming on here it's almost unreadable with every second post about Pat Kenny, Claire Byrne or the latest media headline etc... Turn the TV/Radio/social media off and go for a walk for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

we're one of the few countries in Europe where masks aren't work in schools

There's little to no logical reason why it cant be done or at least trialed to see, our children aren't all that different to those in other countries really

Well it seems to be gyms and hairdressers on the list so no surprise they will push back. Anything that even looks remotely like a lockdown proposal is not going to to be a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ypu mean those other EU countries that are seeing a risk in infection as well?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Just a reminder as we enter the dreaded month of December that the projected 200K in new cases is an average of about 6.5K a day and 400K is close to 13K a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I've written to my TD to object to these new rules. I know nothing will come of it, but it's all I can do really. I'm not going to march in protests as those events are usually hijacked by right wing nut jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Yes but the public are ahead of us😀🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I suspect that the children of this period will be far more resilient and strong for this

I'd suspect the very opposite, certainly so when they are afraid of something that is not dangerous to them.

Resilliance is built, when people face crisis without fear.

What's actually happening could not be further from resilience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

What were they predicting in respect to hospitalisations and ICU. Surely these are far more important metrics with vaccination coverage and the booster programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I dont know whats right wing and whats liberal anymore. Making children wear masks would be right wing to me. It's all very muddled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

You might be right but there is a definite creep in more restrictions being added all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I was going into a crowded area last weekend and I had my four year old wear a mask. She didn't bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement

Well they seem to have ignored boosters completely. IIRC, and someone may have more exact numbers, ICU was projected to top out at 200 and from 800-1,000 for 200K and close to 2,000 for 400K. That's off a hospitalisation rate of 2%-2.5%. Our current trajectory has us heading for about 150K this month, but 71% of those cases are under 45.

Advertisement