Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Has anyone else had a prescription for dexcom g6 sensors drop in their door? I've just received same and in other news for me, I'm also now T1 🤷

how long befor they upgraded you to T1? had you been treated as T2 or LADA? i was T2/LADA for almost 18 months.

I've been T2 then T1.5 since 2007, LADA was ruled out via antibody testing back around 2017. The 1st inkling I've had of being moved to a T1 diagnosis was the prescription dropping in my door this morning.

ah so they made the decision without telling you?

I rang them one evening with few BG readings around 12mmol and asked if i wanted to try the insulin, been on it ever since.

i also hope to be getting the dexcom in january myself.

Yep. I had been on insulin for a few years from around 2015-2019 went off it in Feb 2019 and kept my control tight. It's crept out over the last few months and my last Hba1c was 63/7.9 which is the highest it's been since 2008. My mobility is currently v restricted and as such I decided to go back on Insulin with an eye to tighter control until other issues are sorted.

I did bring forward an appt with my Endo team from April to December to get a med review in the meantime.

No other contact with them, them this morning a script signed off by it looks like the LTI team for the dexcom with a confirmed T1 diagnosis as the reason.

It doesn't change anything for me in treatment or management, although if I was still insulin free there would be an interesting conversation 😉 It's already on my Driving License and nothing else changes for me. It was just a little bit of a surprise to read that on a letter before I knew myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'm going the other way ... diagnosed 4 months ago with T2, but wasn't carrying much extra weight so then was changed to suspected T1, then told possible LADA and now back to T2.

When 1st tested/diagnosed, my Hba1c was 119 so put on daily Tresiba injection straight away. Had a review test a little while ago and Hba1c was down to 56.

(Had a complete overhaul of my diet during that time too)

Only very low dose of insulin and Avg reading of 6.5 mmol/L over the past 90 days so would really hope to be able to lower and maintain it with just diet if possible.

For anyone on the Dexcom G6? My script is for the Dexcom Platinum sensors 3 pack. The Core list F GMS number is 97629, and that's precisely what my pharmacist dispensed to me today.

Thing is these need a transmitter, and there's none in the box nor listed on Core list F that I can find?

How does one get hold of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Dexcom should send a transmitter direct to you every 3 months, by DHL. Nothing to do with the chemist.

Get onto Dexcom and see if the paperwork has been sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭uli84

Amazing story, gives some hope too. Stem cells research all the way, that’s where all the money should go, not some “artificial pancreas” nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Same for knee and hip problems. People have to go to Bermuda for stem cell. Crazy.

Consultants charging 20k to use hammer and chisel on ya here.

The return to a basal insulin dose has had a fairly marked effect already for me. My Hba1c in late Oct was 62/7.9 and my average out of range was @ 25%. I resumed insulin on the 10/11 and already my time in range has improved hugely. Its went from 65% in range, to 100% albeit via fingerprick rather than CGM.

I've managed to keep the basal dose quite low too, at least compared to my prior run with insulin where my basal dose was as high as 48 units regularly and sometimes higher due to trying to nail down morning highs. My new regime currently hasn't been higher than 18 units and once I get the transmitter for my CGM sorted? I can hopefully taper that down a bit more too.

My main aim is to find the balance between best impact from insulin on my BG and preventing the weight gain that I experience last time around on it. So far? It seems to be working, weight is staying stable and I'm happy with the effects so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I was having a burning sensation in my right thigh and numbness the rest of the right leg. I put it down to T2 Diabetes until I mentioned it to my GP.

He was quite concerned as it was in one leg, and not both. I had an older MRI which shows bulging discs in L3 and L4. He referred me to an Orthopaedic surgeon, who had a look at me, and discovered that I had less reaction on the right side upper body, as well. Sent for 3 MRIs, Brain, upper and middle spine. Turns out I have a severe narrowing of the spinal column way up in C3 and C4, he referred me to a Neurosurgeon who has me pencilled in for the operation on 26th January. He seems confident it will solve the problems at the thigh and upper leg, and that diabetes will account for the rest.

For the lower back he has referred me to a physio as he says it isn't so bad in the lumbar spine. Didn't expect this outcome.

Good luck with your recovery WhiteRebel, fingers crossed your op goes well.

I had my Endo review on Tuesday. Went quite well despite them issuing a script at the start of the month for Dexcom G6 and noting I'm a T1. The registrar has said that as my 2018 antibodies were negative that I'm not T1 and there is "diagnostic uncertainty". The prescription may have issued in error?🤦 Because dropping an unsolicited letter to a patient with a new diagnosis is always a great way to go.

Weirdly, whilst I have a script for the Dexcom sensor, I don't have one for the transmitter 🤷 but I am a fan of CGM and the libre was a game changer when I used that! So, I've bought the transmitter and I'll try xdrip+ to see if I can eke longer intervals out of the transmitter than 3 months to keep a cap on my costs.

I'm treating it like a co-pay 😉 free sensors and I'll cover the transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi all,

I have recently (past month) been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I am using a Contour next Blood Glucose Monitor checking blood with Finger pricks

Currently on no medication carrying a bit extra weight GP hoping if I can loose weight and review in 3 x months.

Just reading about the Dexcom Continuous Blood Sugar monitoring can this be got through the Long term illness scheme or any other suggestions for Continuous Blood Sugar monitoring, just feel at the moment if I could get Live monitoring it would help with my diet etc, know what then triggers the Glucose levels.

Thanks for reading any suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭leche solara

I don't think any continuous glucose monitoring devices are available on the LTI for Type 2s. If you want one you will need to self fund. Diabetes Ireland have made a submission to the government that CGMs be available on LTI scheme but what becomes of that remains to be seen.

As Leche Solara has said, short answer is no. CGM funding is reserved for T1's and even then it can be hard to get a consultant to sign off on. If you want to use a CGM you will need to self fund. The other thing to note is that as a non insulin dependent diabetic, that there is a limit on the number of test strips that will issue to you. As you are trying diet only and not on any meds currently. That limit is 100 strips per year. More info on the test strip limits here.

https://www.diabetes.ie/hse-changes-to-the-number-of-blood-glucose-strips-supplied-to-people-with-type-2-diabetes/

Regarding your own diagnosis, welcome to the club it sucks to start with but, with some effort you will get on top of it and your pancreas will thank you for it.

Weight loss will help as will upping your exercise and learning to be a bit more aware of your carb intake. No need for carb counting, but being aware of what is and isn't a carb and what effect they have on your BG will help with your control.

Good luck 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Thanks @leche solara @banie01 for your replies I did not realise there would be a limit to the strips, looks like I have more research to do !

Appreciate the replies.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

100 strips a year?! That's quite low. We really should be aiming to provide everyone with the supplies they need rather than just supporting the groups/illnesses that get the most sympathy. Ireland is not a poor country by any means, but our health system seems to be stuck behind many of our peers in the EU.

• Advertisement

I agree it's crazy but, that's the system the powers that be running the LTI scheme and the clinical requirements in particular have taken.

I'm very much of the opinion the CGM and flash monitoring offers huge benefits in both real time monitoring and improvement in A1c. Research to date would support that belief too. I think if better data via CGM offsets medication, and delays onset of diabetic complications? That it's very much money well spent.

This is one for the T1's or anyone using CGM.

Have ye tried tidepool? To manage and track your data? I've started using it and tbh I'm already quite impressed with the quality of data and it's presentation.

I'm using a Dexcom G6 but running it via Xdrip+ and exporting the CGM data out to tidepool from there. All very straight forward despite sounding complicated. Tidepool export is integrated in Xdrip+ now. Nightscout is also an option, but the set up is far more involved.

Anyway one of the upshots from exporting my data to tidepool and reviewing the reports there is scope for a 4unit drop in my basal dose.

Will give it a spin and see how it goes and I am really looking forward to my next Hba1c to see how the CGM data matches up with the actual numbers.

Wait a second, you can run a Dexcom with non-Dexcom software? Did I just buy a phone I didn't need?

Hey Kowloon, you can. There is also the option to use Dexcom software via any phone using a brilliant service called build your own Dexcom app Dexcom's choice to hobble their app to a specific range of devices is bypassed.

That's if you want to stick with Dexcom's app in any device.

Personally I tried that and Xdrip+ and far preferred the latter.

Aww, feck. I couldn't run their software on my LTE tablet that I have a sim in to use as a phone. It flat out forbids you from running it on anything not on the list (I'm guessing it's a medical testing issue or something?). Bought a phone that works but the screen is much smaller so I find it a lot less useful.

Thanks for the links, I need to figure this all out.

I'm in the midst of figuring it all out myself. I've only been running the Dexcom since Xmas but, if you have any questions! Fire away.

The 1 thing I will say before you change any software is, give the Dexcom subreddit a read and also for Xdrip+ the Facebook group is very good too. The developers are very responsive.

I got mine recently too. I was told to wait until I was called to set it up so I have it all sitting here while I'm using test strips like a common peasant. I'm guessing the Dexcom person is going to show me how to use their app. So I'll swap over my sim and the third-party app as soon as that's out of the way. Expect questions when I have it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Has anyone moved to a Medtronic 780G with guardian sensor 4 yet? I've used a bunch of Medtronic pumps since 2006, and the 780G with guardian 4 is the next one that's available to me. Currently using a 640G, which does not have an auto mode like the 780G, but the sensor 3 is a frustrating CGM to use. I've used all the Medtronic CGMs and although the sensor 3 is the most accurate, it's also the most needy.

I guess my worry is that if I go Medtronic again, if Guardian 4 sensors are as picky as 3, then I'll be in pump notification hell. But since 4 is so new, it's not so easy to find real world impressions.

got an email today that i will be getting the dexcom g6 woo woo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Hmm didn't realise there was a limit on the test strips. I've recently been taken off daily insulin injections and switched to a weekly shot of Ozempic.

Just finished my 1st month on it and am still testing myself 3 times a day.

Readings were averaging out about 6.0 per day for the month, but 1 day I happened to have a slice of white bread toast for breakfast, tested a few hours later before lunch and levels had shot up to 8.2

Advertisement