Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

if any of you good people on here could help me source a bottle of Glendronach 18 year old I would be really happy! I was on here a few weeks ago about getting the Jameson special for OH but decided against as he deffo prefers scotch.. I know he likes sherry casked and think this one fits the bill, but cannot find it for delivery here anywhere......Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Out of stock everywhere, obviously. You could ring Celtic Whisky Shop and see if they would get you one, but failing that you might have to either get it delivered to someone in NI or the UK, or else opt for something else in the same vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Nice wee surprise in the Barrel Club delivery this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Master of malt are doing a prime service. £20 a year for no postage charges. Will be handy for getting stuff delivered up North as before the postage was bit of a killer if it was under a £100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Barrel Club arrival this evening. Theme was Single Pot Still.

700ml - Method and Madness Single Pot Still

50ml - Three Swallows, MRV Barry Crockett, RB 12

Nice surprise of a sample of Jameson 21 (maybe a reaction to some of the complaints received 're ballot). As always, very well presented. I wasn't too sure what to expect from the 'club' but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For a chilly December night, Powers Three Swallow makes for an exceptional hot whiskey...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any thoughts on Red Breast PX?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Any suggestions on a whiskey to buy for Christmas presents?

I got my dad Red Breast for his birthday and the man absolutely loved it. He drinks anything really, but when he drinks whiskey it's usually Jameson / Powers.

I'd like to get him something nice for Christmas. Any recommendations. Budget around €80ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭dobman88

Another RedBreast if he is drinking it regularly and running low perhaps?

If you want to get him a new bottle. Jameson Crested or Powers 3 swallows are lovely drops. And both a step up from their original counterparts.

Green Spot is on sale for €50 in O'Brien's. They have Powers 3 swallow also reduced to €33. Could get both and get him two really great whiskeys for €83.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I got my father in law Powers Three Swallows for Christmas. Its really lovely. Got a bang of banana off it too which was welcomed.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If he really enjoyed regular RB 12 and you're willing to up the budget slightly to €90ish, you really can't go wrong with RB 12 cask strength. One of my all-time favourite Irish whiskies.

Also previous poster's suggestion of getting those two excellent Irish whiskies while they're on offer at the moment is another excellent idea.

He might appreciate Tullamore Dew caribbean rum cask finish if he liked that aspect of it... next time you're looking for a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Smurts

Yea it was an additional sample of the Jameson 21. Got an option to buy a bottle in the second round of the offers but gave it a miss as thought it was a bit rich for what it is. Still looking forward to enjoying the sample all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I'd go with Yellowspot, 70 in O'Briens last time i checked. Class whiskey

Celtic Whiskey have blue and red spot in stock for anyone looking for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,721 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I prefer Green Spot to Yellow Spot and I don't think I'm alone in that. There's nothing wrong with Yellow Spot but you'd have to question whether it justifies the price premium.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I keep an eye out for Green Spot Chateau Montelena when on offer at 60e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Cheers for the ideas folks. I bought my dad Green Spot and Powers 3 Swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I'm happy you prefer Greenspot. The fact that Yellowspot has an extra 6% justifies the extra price. I like Yellowspot. I'm probably not alone in that. Whiskey is a game of opinions....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Treated myself to a green spot montelena and leoville Barton. Sale in Mitchell and sons, 60 each with free delivery. I've had the leoville Barton before and it's my favourite Irish whiskey I've tasted. Always loved redbreast but this was an extra level of flavour. Went back after leoville and tried lustau / cask strength / yellow spot. Loved them all but none matched up.

Had to get the leoville but was very tempted by the blue spot instead of montelena. I've had the blue spot from tiny tipples, was very nice but also got method and madness french chestnut 50mls the same time and it was as close to leoville as I'd got. Powers 3 swallow was really close as well on the nose and palate but the finish was completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

I've yet to try the Montelena or Leoville Barton despite them being on the want list for ages. Do people recommend one over the other?

Teeling 13 Year Old Single Grain.

€85.

50% abv.

When we think of Irish whiskey we tend to think of Pot still or Single Malt. However single grain is actually the most produced Irish whiskey by volume due to blends like Jameson and Tullamore Dew. As a category in its own right Single grain has seen some growth recently with a number of new releases.

One such release is Teeling 13 Year Old Single Grain. Made from a mash bill of 95% corn and 5% malted barley and aged in bourbon casks for 9 years before being matured for another 4 years in ex Bordeaux red wine casks. This is Teelings second grain release since their core Single Grain expression which was released in 2013.

Grain whiskey is often seen as cheaper and less complex than pot still or single malt. This is something I would agree with and a lot of single grain whiskey is very light which I would see as something to sip during the summer months. It works better for me when it's aged a bit longer.

Notes of summer fruits, vanilla, orchard fruits, honey and lots of spice. This is a step above the regular teeling Single grain with the longer maturation and Bordeaux finish giving the whiskey a little more character. I don't think I would buy a full bottle for the price asked but an interesting release nonetheless.

Post edited by Cazale on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm the opposite.

I don't dislike Green Spot but for me, it's overpriced. I think it's a nice, light everyday whiskey - a step up from powers, which was its price point before the big relaunch some years ago which pushed it into a more premium category and price point.

Yellow spot, on the other hand, I think is rich, warming and is like getting a wanted hug. I really like it and think it's excellent value for money.

I don't really care if I'm alone in this opinion or not 😉

Speaking of Green Spot....

Green Spot 1990s Bottling

€130-170 at auction

40% abv

It seems surprising now but there was a time when Green Spot was virtually an unknown whiskey outside of Ireland. I’ve read and heard tales of tourists filling their suitcases with bottles of the stuff after making the trek to the Mitchell and Son shop in Dublin which was about the only place it could be found.

The current version of Green Spot is a favorite of mine and is thankfully ubiquitous in both stock and supply throughout the country. Green apples, fresh cut grass, sweet vanilla. Delicate and smooth with a spicyness on the finish. Made from a combination of 7-9 year old whiskey which was matured in 75% ex bourbon and 25% Sherry casks. A great example of a modern Irish Pot still.

This sample tonight is one from the early 1990s and it’ll be interesting to see how it stacks up against its modern iteration. Straight away its obvious this is a different beast. Peppermint, Coconut, vanilla toffee, limes, menthol. No apple! The delicateness is gone and an older pot still style emerges of leather, oil and spice. A lot more spice. This is a wonderful whiskey and I can see why people would have sought it out.

Of the two versions I think this is the nicer whiskey. It’s that different though that you could probably classify them as different whiskeys. A bottle of each would be most welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Entertainingly heated twitter battle between the fella that runs this and Dingle Distillery

https://twitter.com/dinglewhiskey/status/1467061343983448064?s=21

• Advertisement

Hilarious stuff. One of the lads I know got a sample of their 'The Brollach' release which is a no age statement cask strength whiskey. It's basically a 19-20 year old Cooley Single Malt. His comment below says it all.

"The only thing that blew me away was the price - €5,500!"

Advertisement