Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity went out for a moment

Options
  • 01-12-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

A few minutes ago the lights in the building dimmed and everything electrical was distrusted

building manager has called maintenance

the sockets seem to back on and my router is working but the desk fan is barely spinning and the kettle shows the power light but isn’t boiling

might both those damaged do you think?

Post edited by Need a Username on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,885 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be. I'd unplug them from the mains for a minute or so and plug back in to see if that resolves. If it doesn't try another socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I have everything unplugged and the bedroom light (but not the bathroom) is coming on every few minutes.

maintenance are here somewhere

Typical - on a day where I have nothing to do but relax and watch TV

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

Sounds like a brown out. Reduced voltage due to a fault. Best to keep everything unplugged until power is properly restored.

ESB have good outage info on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I had everything unplugged and last I heard was that ESB were working on it. I feel asleep for a few hours and woke to have everything working again. Kettle is fine too.

Some lights were going on and off after it happened.

what had me thinking that the outage had damaged the kettle and desk fan was that the power light on the kettle was on but not boiling the water and the desk fan was spun at least than half speed. What would have been the cause of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was an electrical supply, but that was insufficient to run those devices properly. One cause might have been construction work that partially cut through a cable. Another possibility would be an improperly connected Uninterrupted Power Supply.

Sound and light use relatively little energy compared to heating and motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,111 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brownout - low voltage

The items that were on were probably using switch mode power supplies that can handle much lower voltages and produce the same DC voltage for them.

Advertisement