Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir/Openeir FTTH/FTTC connection for new house

Options
  • 21-02-2021 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have recently bought a new house in a village outside a major Irish city about 25 minutes where there is Eir fibre in the village and in the existing estate where the developer has provided ducting. The area is a known area of extremely poor phone signal on all networks. I have an Eircode as per the rollout on the 7/2/21 but now I am caught in the never ending discussion between Eir/OpenEir of getting updated on OpenEir's mapping system. This seems to somehow be linked to NBI / National Broadband Plan Map or so the Eir sales team say. There are no timelines or anyone to hold accountable and every conversation now with the Eir sales team is turning into a heated arguement.

I have been onto the Deparment of Communications, Climate and Environment, 3 out of 4 TDs, Eir, OpenEir, other service providers & KN Group but OpenEir seem to be the problem. I cannot contact them and they have not acknowledged my email and have not responded. These discussions have been ongoing for months prior to the issue of the Eircode as that was a battle in itself.

Nova/Airwave do not have coverage for my house and Imagine are full in the area. The only other options are with Novatel 3/4G antenna (~ 2k with installation) or satellite broadband. My issue is that Eir/OpenEir keep stating that I will know within a week if I can get connected or not but I do not trust them. My question is, has anyone gone through this previously and if so, how did you crack the OpenEir problem either directly or indirectly?

The government departments/TDs seem to be quite responsive but appear to be powerless and the NBI seems to be a fanciful idea where the entire country is coloured Amber for connection. There are multiple commercial entities in the market (Open Eir/Siro/possible other) and the mapping systems seem to be a complete mess that OpenEir/Eir are happy to blame the government. I am actually embarressed for the governement and the department, Eir/OpenEir and all the mapping systems. It's a complete shambles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you in an intervention area? - https://nbi.ie/map/

If you are then talking to anyone else is pointless. You need to wait for NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 raymikemc

KN Group are installing in the estate/village for OpenEir so hence why they are the path of least resistance for now to me getting fibre.

I give no hope for NBI, that will be a bigger scandal than the children's hospital. They have the whole country coloured amber, someone in the department got out the colouring book. No timetable on installation dates, surveying, and and they have 2 maps (One on the government website and the other on NBI) but no description between the two. What's the difference between the two? The rate at which the town's/villages are popping up on their site for survey/installation, they may finish in 2050...

raymikemc wrote: »
    KN Group are installing in the estate/village for OpenEir so hence why they are the path of least resistance for now to me getting fibre.

I give no hope for NBI, that will be a bigger scandal than the children's hospital. They have the whole country coloured amber, someone in the department got out the colouring book. No timetable on installation dates, surveying, and and they have 2 maps (One on the government website and the other on NBI) but no description between the two. What's the difference between the two? The rate at which the town's/villages are popping up on their site for survey/installation, they may finish in 2050...

KN are contractors, they cannot do anything for you unless told to!

If your Eircode is on the NBP intervention list you have no choice but to wait for NBI which has already started connecting houses in certain areas.

On the NBI map for our estate, half of the estate have registered to NBI. A lot of the estate now have a connection with Eir with FTTH, some of which are on the NBI map and are in the intervention area and some that are not on the map at all. All the connections have been installed since the beginning of the month of Feb with the last known connection on 19/2/21. If anything NBI is a reason Eir are using to not connect

North East of Athy town here. Just met an NBI guy on the road taking pictures of poles . Told me we would have it within 12 to 18 months.
    My advice is to get it in writing

• Advertisement

On the NBI map for our estate, half of the estate have registered to NBI. A lot of the estate now have a connection with Eir with FTTH, some of which are on the NBI map and are in the intervention area and some that are not on the map at all. All the connections have been installed since the beginning of the month of Feb with the last known connection on 19/2/21. If anything NBI is a reason Eir are using to not connect

Put in your Eircode, does it say you are in the intervention area yes or no?

Put in your Eircode, does it say you are in the intervention area yes or no?

Yes, I am on government map but not on the NBI map. As mentioned in my previous reply, it does not matter if you are on the NBI or not, Eir are connecting in my estate regardless...

Yes, I am on government map but not on the NBI map. As mentioned in my previous reply, it does not matter if you are on the NBI or not, Eir are connecting in my estate regardless...

Nobody can force Eir a private company to connect your house!

Ask about NBI in the NBI thread there's some in there with more info
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058047482/200/#post116353024

Nobody can force Eir a private company to connect your house!

Ask about NBI in the NBI thread there's some in there with more info
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058047482/200/#post116353024

I assume you mean OpenEir? I agree that no one can force them but to choose between OpenEir who are already in the estate and currently connecting houses compared to NBI, I know which one I'd choose. I believe what needs to happen is OpenEir designate a port for FTTH at the nearest cabinet provided there's space, and use new ducting already built in the estate to connect to the house. Local TD correspondence from OpenEir this morning states:
    The design team is currently reviewing the address to establish if it can be included in the fibre footprint. At least it's on their radar now, fingers crossed.

I hate to say it but it appears to be a case of the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

FTTH isnt via cabinet, its via distribution point. either on a pole or unseen in a manhole

with Eir IFN they connect 12 houses per DP

if its FTTC then yeah you must be assigned to nearest green cabinet

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    FTTH isnt via cabinet, its via distribution point. either on a pole or unseen in a manhole

with Eir IFN they connect 12 houses per DP

if its FTTC then yeah you must be assigned to nearest green cabinet
    Thanks BArra, that's quite interesting. I'll investigate if there is a DP close by, always seen these on the poles but I didn't know what they were, I assume the cables wrapped around are spares? Novatel lined up for next week in the interim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

raymikemc wrote:
    Thanks BArra, that's quite interesting. I'll investigate if there is a DP close by, always seen these on the poles but I didn't know what they were, I assume the cables wrapped around are spares? Novatel lined up for next week in the interim

The fibre cable wrapped around the DP are not spares. The wrapped around fibre cable is to enable the DP to be brought down to ground level to the service vehicle to enable connections to be made to the DP.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    The fibre cable wrapped around the DP are not spares. The wrapped around fibre cable is to enable the DP to be brought down to ground level to the service vehicle to enable connections to be made to the DP.

Thanks Gooser14.

Anyone have an idea in duration of time it takes OpenEir to add address to their network, apparently it's a waiting game now?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

You're not getting fibre from eir. Save your breath to cool your porridge

House getting connected Monday week apparently with FTTH. Got a very expensive package from Eir but will call back and strip it back to the bare 1 GB internet. Happy to give them business if they pull this out of the bag and especially after dealing with me for the past few weeks. Fingers crossed no hiccups

Got FTTH a week early and just as we're moving in. To be fair to Eir/OpenEir, they really pulled all the stops in the end and I'm very, very grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedDevil123

Bit of a long shot here but in the same situation.

Have an eircode and waiting on openeir to add the address to the network. Did you get a contact for them in the end because I can't find one anywhere

Basically bombard the Eir sales team, we rang initially and we needed to be part of an extended housing estate design but once designed, we were hooked up. I rang everyday for 2/3 months until it was resolved. To note, OpenEir are meant to be independent of the service provider Eir but they are not.

I would also get onto your local TDs as they have a line into Eir/OpenEir also and applies plenty of pressure...

Advertisement