Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can be done about mass shootings in America?

Options

Comments

I am afraid since I do not identify as conservative, or american, I am probably the worst person in the world to ask how they form policies - or how they should be forming policies :) I am however a scientist and into science so I can comment a little more confidently on that. And my only opinion is that we can not simply grab a single data point correlation and jump to any conclusions - let alone should we be forming policies - based off it alone. It's just a bad idea in many cases and I caution against it. It's simply rarely that simple when it comes to one single data point in a massive group of people.

I'd certainly like to see "action" in the US given the number of pointless deaths and often in people terribly young. I mean it is one thing when "gang bangers" off each other - tragic of course - but not quite on a level when children are shooting themselves or each other or getting shot by adults. But rushing headlong into action because of a single correlation data point is not something I would like to see happen. But I am neither a politician or a policy maker so what I want is irrelevant anyway :) All I can do is discuss the science of how a correlation should be treated and how caution is always warranted around them every time.

I do not think these words "fallacy" and "cliche" are useful here. Correlation not being causation is "cliche" only in the same way that "2+2=4" is. In that people say both of them a lot. But they say both of them a lot because they are generally true things to say. I think over time people have come to the weird idea the word "cliche" is derogatory or in some way means the thing being called a "cliche" is somehow less true, relevant, or useful because it is a "cliche". None of these things are correct.

It is interesting to wonder for example why this correlation holds true in some places more than others. Again I think it's because there are more factors in place. Do - for example - policies that allow more guns correlate with policies that favor the rich and disinfranchise the poor? Can that have anything to do with gun crimes? Do - for another example - crimes scale with ownership equally amongs states and if not why not? And equally with other countries - and if not why not? Does gun ownership in EU and SCandanavian Countries for example scale with crime in the same way? Again - if not why not.

Most of it is a moot point anyway as - which many people have noted too - the idea you're going to act on that correlation and suddenly take all the guns away is a closing a stable door not just long after the horse has bolted - but it's crossed borders, been eaten by a predator, and long turned into poo. That horse is _ long _ gone. So there too again it is worth looking at what else correlates with gun crime and find things we actually have a possibility to control and mediate.

I often wonder too if gun ownership correlates with good gun education or gun license policies. Some states in the US I am told - getting a gun is as simply as getting a pie down the local supermarket. How can that be good? I doubt it can. And where people get guns - are they shown how to use them correctly? Are they taught how to use them safely, render them safe, and to respect them?

I got a rare chance some time ago to take my then just under 10 year old daughter to learn how to operate and care for rifles. And she took to it really well and we have been doing it every since. Not something people get to do often in Ireland. I reckon she knows more about guns - their care - safe usage - and respect - than whole swaths of gun owners in the US who barely had to blink to get permission or a license to own their mini arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This merely emphasises that the correct solution to the US's firearms homicide problem is sociological.

Many other countries in the developed world have sociological issues, they don't see the same fatalities from firearms.

By all means let there be a focus on the sociological issues in a meaningful way but when the same politicians who argue against gun control are vehemently against assigning appropriate resources to the sociological issues, they shouldn't be let shrug their shoulders and say there's nothing we can do about it.

We've probably all seen the video from yesterday of the kids in the class reacting to the possibility that a shooter is trying to gain access to their room through pretending to be from the sherriffs office and they all climbing though a window or emergency door and sprinting across the yard to another building. What sort of psychological issues have been planted in the heads of these children now? And what sort of sociological issues will continue to fester and develop because of this craven submittal to the arms industry.

Yeah I think we are in agreement on much of that for sure! In fact you are saying the same thing I was trying to say earlier too. Though maybe you said it better. If there is a correlation between people who are more lenient on guns - and as you put it people who "are vehemently against assigning appropriate resources to the sociological issues" - then of course you are going to find a higher correlation between gun ownership and gun crime in that population.

The way I put it above is that often liberal gun politics could correlate with financial politics that favour the rich and disenfranchise the poor. But that is us both saying essentially the same thing in two different ways.

I have no idea what issues the US put into their kids alas. I remember the videos of the days when US kids were practising drills for when the bombs came during cold war times. I doubt that was any more psychologically nourishing than the videos you refer to :(

But there are so many things worth changing that a simple correlation between ownership and crime would tell us. I doubt for example that people against gun ownership etc etc would be for better and more respecful gun training in children. But after training my own daughter from age 9ish to now (11ish) I wonder how beneficial it could potentially be.

But I said this a couple of weeks ago - its weird the difference I experience when I talk to people in the EU who are open to owning guns and people in the US. Some of their words overlap. But so far in my solely anecdotal experience the "I need a gun - because at any moment I might have to protect my family" rhetoric I have only ever gotten from people in the US. Which suggests to me a complete different psychological narrative going on as well as everything else. A more simple fear in their nation than say Germany or Sweden or Switzerland etc etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They don't, but I would prefer my target for comparison to be armed nations without as many sociological issues rather than unarmed nations which have them. (a) I think the former will solve far more problems than just the matter of death by firearm, and (b) the latter is unrealistic in the US case anyway.

I would also observe that you have addressed only half of the problem with solving the US's larger issues. Yes, half the country seems unwilling to address these issues as you state. Unfortunately, the other half of the country seems to have been unwilling to address them also. Otherwise, it seems to me that half the country would be in a much better place than the rest, yet such places seem very hard to find. It's far, far simpler for politicians to state platitudes and make meaningless gestures than to undertake a significant effort which will have practical effect.

"I doubt for example that people against gun ownership etc etc would be for better and more respecful gun training in children. But after training my own daughter from age 9ish to now (11ish) I wonder how beneficial it could potentially be."

I have had this argument in the past with anti-gun folks over here. The general response is that they don't want even the idea of guns put into the kids' heads, that it will 'normalise' them and maybe even promote them.

They generally draw a blank when I observe that that is exactly the same argument being used by conservatives who don't want sex ed taught in schools. They don't even need to spend a dime, the NRA has free safety training available to all schoolchildren with age-appropriate courses varying from "don't touch" to "this is the safe care and handling", all the school needs to do is pick up the 'phone and arrange a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

safety training. of course.

thats the answer. safety training.

one minute you want to massacre your peers. then you watch a safety demonstration, and now you dont.

learning about a firing pin really quenches the murderous rage.

• Advertisement

The biggest rate increase in year on year homicide in "modern" US history and honestly a staggering jump.

Would this not correlate with the lack of policing we saw in 2020? There was a push by some in society to both defund and abolish the police. We also saw protesting/rioting ramped up like not seen in a long time. Of course as you mention we were coming out of lockdowns as well. Many criminals like that guy in Waukesha got out on really small amounts of bail because the court system couldn't guarantee them speedy trials. The system was backlogged because of covid. Many criminals were released onto the streets.

I don't think it's correct to automatically assume american society just went nuts, but it certainly played its part.

It's an answer to part of the problem. Do you have a problem with it? Currently there are some 27,000 accidental firearms injuries a year, 500 of which result in death. Safety training will have a positive effect on that figure, and comes with basically zero sacrifices or downsides to balance against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

Logical argument is more guns = more deaths.

Gun nuts argument - we need more guns.

Meanwhile Murica circles the drain.

When kids are dying and nothing changes, you know your dealing with people who place their love of guns over that of kids lives.

I can just imagine what the founding fathers reaction would be to the whole scale slaughter of children - disbelief & anger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Im just sick of it (the safety course line) being pulled out in the context of mass shootings. Along with mental health.

Its never the fancy guns, its always something else first. Its mental health, its gang violence, but its definitely not my armory of 40 round range toys.

And Ive a stack of stats to support me on that ... for some strange reason. I just so happen to own both a stack of guns and coincidentally have an encyclopedic knowledge of reasons why theyre never the problem.

So ok then, it actually is mental health. So go fix mental health. Oh thats right its impossible. You may as well blame the moon. Its not actionable. Youre never fixing mental health across a mass population.

Well then its gang violence. Well that shouldnt be any problem to fix. Again completely unactionable.

Whats next on the list ... unreasonable firearm models maybe?

Ah but no, its 'we need safety lessons'. Ok, you can easily do ""safety lessons"" in combination with more restrictive firearm availability.

No, didnt think so.

I'm just sick of it (the safety course line) being pulled out in the context of mass shootings. Along with mental health.

Well, just as well I didn't pull it out in the context of mass shootings, there is no correlation between the two that I'm aware of. I don't believe anyone here has made such a link or attempted to make one.

I did, however, comment upon taxAHcruel's observation of the unwillingness to even consider safety training as a mitigating course of action, one which comes with absolutely zero downsides, not even in terms of dollars, because of the position held by those people that the only acceptable course of action is the removal of firearms from society. Guns are bad, the NRA is bad, therefore we shall not do anything which possibly involves either no matter what the effect may be. It's an easy, low-hanging fruit to at least start making a dent. It's also a case study in why no solutions have been found to the larger problems, if we can't even deal with the smaller problems (Notwithstanding that spree shootings are actually an even smaller problem than accidental shootings, but we won't do what the psychologists are saying either...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This is an excellent article:

what can be done about mass shootings ?

Nothing...

with the amount of guns, the ease of acquiring them and numbers of headcases... nothing.

cant take guns off people.. handguns, sub machine guns...semi automatics can all be owned by private citizens..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's terribly cynical, I know, and I'm not particularly proud of, but I just do not care anymore when I read about someone over in America shooting up some public place. If Americans aren't going to do anything about their culture of gun fetishization, and allowing shooters to become antiheroes to other disaffected/mentally-ill people, well then no-one should be surprised anymore when these regular bursts of random carnage happen. Just as we have come to tacitly accept that suicide bombings happen in the Middle East, we also tacitly accept that mass shootings (often with a suicide dimension as well) happen in the USA, and anyone going on holiday there has to accept that it's something they could possibly get caught up in. I don't want to overstate the risk of it, though, because it's such a big country that statistically the odds of it happening in any one place are extremely low, but still, it's a fact of life there to the point that schools carry out shooter drills. A mad place that's getting steadily madder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I was surprised the latest shooting was just a simple handgun yet the perpetrator managed to get so many shots out before being taken down. Given it was his father's gun really wouldn't know how these sort of events could be prevented

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A simple/commonplace semi auto handgun as used in this case would have 12-15 rounds in the magazine, a person could kill multiple people in seconds with that. Even in the US where such incidents are somewhat "expected", there will have been huge panic in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

The televised mass execution of the NRA leadership would be a good start.

Semi-automatic handgun.

Handguns are used in nearly two-thirds of the nation’s gun murders. They are much easier to conceal

What reason is there to have a semi-automatic handgun except to shoot other humans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Well there isn't one but the whole point on having the 'right to bear arms' is based on the premise that killing other humans might be necessary.

Only in the case when it is the government who is trying to circumvent democracy, but not, as we saw on Jan 6th, when you like the head of the government who is attempting to do this.

I would observe that the only homicide which occurred on January 6th was conducted by use of a handgun (The death of Ashli Babbitt), and has been adjudicated as a lawful killing. (It had been thought that a police officer was killed by blunt force trauma, but it was later ruled by the examiner as having been natural causes)

It's a bit unfair to point out that there are more homeless in Dem-led cities as if to imply that being Dem-led leads to homelessness.

In fact it is more a case of no good deed going unpunished... Dem-led cities are more hospitable to homeless people, so they gravitate there, and it is a fact that more conservative areas send their homeless to the Dem-cities, telling them 'Here's your bus fare. They have better facilities there (San Fran/Austin/Portland etc.) and you will be better looked after." The churches do this a lot, whether w/ good or bad intentions.

• Advertisement

The latest shooting. They bought a 9mm pistol as an early Christmas present for a 15 year old. How stupid can you be. Need to amend the amendment stipulating a minimum IQ before being allowed to bear arms...suggest it should be for well above average intelligence only. Won't even need safety courses then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

America and the gun nuts value their guns more than they value childrens lives.

A christmas present gun ffs.

A teacher had spotted the kid researching ammunition on his phone a couple days before the shooting and contacted his parents about it.

She texted him to say that he 'needed to learn how not to get caught'.

That's not particularly relevant though is it.

The need for the second amendment is often touted as being to prevent government usurping the will of the people. Jan 6th is the event where this has been closet to actually happening in any of our lifetimes, and probably much longer, as the sitting President looked to circumvent the electoral process in order to stay in power.

All the 2A advocates were there that day, if they wanted to take the opportunity to show how necessary the 2A was to prevent such a thing, they could have done so. except they were all cheering on that President and many of them attempted to carry out his bidding.

And since then, they've stopped beating around the bush and there's been at least one rally where a right wing attendee asked 'when do we get to use the guns' to target those he think are responsible for Trump not being in power right now.

If a group of 2A advocates had lined the capitol on Jan 6th and said they were defending the constitution against the dictatorial President, they could have created an event that copper fastened the supposed need for the 2A in the first place. Instead, they have shown not only is it redundant, it is likely to lead to the will of the people being discarded, rather than upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What the deal with this trying a child as an adult?

I mean you are either an adult or not an adult, it's binary. If you don't believe age is relevant then try everyone the same way. But one thing is definite, he is not an adult.

When people think of mass shootings they think of school shootings, or workplace shootings. The major mass shootings are inner city gang shootings.

my response to this is not to care. It’s their society and this ideology doesn’t affect Europe much, other US ideologies do.

I read here that some state law automatically considers a 14-16 year old as an adult if they are caught with a gun or commit a violent crime. Not sure if that applies to Michigan but they are one of only 3 states that considers a 17 year old an adult automatically.

Honestly that’s all a fantasy. Lay off the CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It frustrates me. Like they can make violent crime by children carry harsher sentencing but to transform them into adults based on their crime, it's completely stupid. So they have the responsibilities of an adult but the rights of a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

america, rapidly rising inequality, leading to a rapid rise in mental health issues, relative easy access to guns, equals......

no, it ll never change!

Advertisement