Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Here we go again. Attack the northern prod and make stuff up about him.

where have I ever said anything negative about southerners? I think the behaviour of your government (and mine) is unreasonable.

I have said how refreshing it has been to hear the positive attitudes of so many southerners on here. Of course there are some southern bigots on here but they are few and far between. There is a high level of misunderstanding of what is going on in the north, but I guess that is vice versa

it’s ironic that you have a go (unfairly) about my views of southerners and then you paint a rediculous picture of northern unionists

…and you might want to rethink your claims about Paisley as he regarded himself as Irish - so a bit silly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's a 'southerner'?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What has been 'misunderstood' by the most popular Unionist party implacably denying rights guaranteed in the GFA and ancillary agreements?

Do tell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Of course there are some southern bigots on here but they are few and far between.

Please elaborate on this.

What are they bigoted against? Politics? Religion? Sexuality?

Someone front the south. Have you a problem with that phrase?

• Advertisement

what rights gueatsteed under the gfa have been denied?

So let’s be clear. I said the majority of southerners are progressive and are not bigots. Some though are, as evidenced in this thread.

so to use the definition

“obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular grouping.”

and substitute the grouping

“obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of Northern Ireland unionist grouping”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Seeing as 'Southern Ireland' existed for about a year following partiition, and ceased to exist since 1922 when we left the UK, then yes it is a bit ignorant to use it still.

The right to parity of esteem. That regardless of any choice made by the people of Northern Ireland, the relevant government will treat all the people of Northern Ireland equally and impartially and fully respect the civil and political rights, and social and cultural traditions of both communities.

See also the ancillary agreements made since the GFA.

The largest Unionist party blocked several of those rights and are still doing it.

That is the 'impression' 'southeners' have and you haven't said anything to change that view.

All ears and eyes to see how you deflect away from that. Who will it be this time...the shinners something something, the RA something something, the GAA something something?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Would you agree it is also ignorant to refer to people from ni as northerners?

Yeah I get your point. Same as someone thinking northerners come from Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

An article in this mornings Irish Times, by Newton Emerson, suggests that the DUP and Jeffrey Donaldson , are doing a U turn on their opposition to the "Protocol". DUP making absurd U-turn towards NI protocol landing zone (irishtimes.com)

They (DUP) clearly know that they cannot enter an election opposing the very mechanism that is ensuring NI outperform GB economically so they need to begin that turn now.

Meanwhile the British are playing brinkmanship with medicines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'd think that is probably a bit more nuanced - given how much flak there was earlier on this thread whether someone was Irish/British/Northern Irish/Martian/Zamboolie by the fact of living in Northern Ireland.

But, given that Northern Ireland is a defined State and geographic area, then refering to someone as 'from Northern Ireland' shouldn't be ignorant, nor give offence - though some will find it becasue to their identity they Irish with no qualifier, or British with no dilution.

Now whether there is an acceptable dimunitive of 'Northern Irish', and whether 'northerners' is it, I don't know.

I've several friends living in Omagh, Eniskillen, Newry, Derry - some who jokingly refer to themselves as 'Nordies'. Maybe that is some quirk of those areas close to the Border, or not, I don't know exactly... but I wouldn't use it outside of those I know who use it and apply it to themselves.

I don't think I've every heard someone from Northern Ireland refering to everyone there as 'northerners', and it's not a phrase I'd have heard used here - 'Northern Irish' would be typical. So yes,if 'Northerners' has a negative connotation or is used in a divisive manner to provoke someone or doesn't have any acceptance of use in the area, then I would find it's use by anyone ignorant at best, and insulting at worst.

I do typically find when ordering goods for delivery from GB that Accounts departments call me quite often to clarify where in 'Southern Ireland' am I ordering from, or to helpfully correct my shiping address from Ireland or Repubic of Ireland to 'Southern Ireland' (despite their country picker dropdowns not having it :D ), so it would seem to be a UK wide misunderstaning, or ignorance of this Island.

To think there are those who pretend Britain 'cares' about Ireland. How much more out of touch could they be?

That Labour number is odd - is it that they think brexit is bad and therefore the protocol is bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Can only presume none of them want NI to enjoy advantages they themselves do not

• Advertisement

Can't argue with that.

The one thing I would add in response to "The vast majority of Irish people outside NI do not exist in the perpetual state of whataboutery which infests debate about NI and never have." is that unless you either lived as a NI nationalist and all the problems that entailed from the 60s to GFA, or if you were a NI unionist living under the daily fear of IRA bombs / shootings, or if you weren't being stopped at road check points on a regular basis, etc, etc, you can't really know the effect it has. I suspect that in years to come studies will find that 30 years of it totally messed up our collective heads in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

I've no doubt what you say is true.

I've had grief from NI nationalists and unionists in discussions like this, manifesting usually as "shut up, you don't know what it was like".

A good chunk of me agrees with that, though I did travel back and forth across the border for two years chasing romance in Donegal and will always remember the surreal moment when the kid squaddie with the heavy machine gun (always one with a big gun, always) walked down the bus, clipped peoples heads because it was so big and apologised as he went with a big red face. Mortified on all sorts of levels. My mother stepped from Talbot Street onto O'Connell street just as the bomb went off. Ten seconds later and would not have been good. HUge numbers left Ireland because there were no jobs, a major consequence of events. It was no bed of roses.

In general though, I don't have any problem admitting that watching people 70 miles away being blown to bits on TV is not the same as living with it day by day and that my opinion on what should happen to NI is less relevant and valuable than someone who lives there.

But there is still a big knowledge gap on both sides of the border and in the case of the dominant strain of unionism, it's wilful and deeply dishonest. To acknowledge that Ireland is trying hard to be a modern, progressive country removes the central plank of their world - the UK is a better place to live than Ireland - even if the very freedoms enjoyed in GB are not enjoyed by all in NI. It's wrong thinking, no matter what way you approach it.

The dominant strain of unionism is relentlessly negative towards it's neighbour.

Any acknowledgement of a common position must aways be balanced by some reference to a sin of the past, a habit which is clearly demonstrated on this thread.

Makes everything worse. Makes everything impossible. No progress until it stops.

The first half of you post was great, very reasonable and sensible. Now as for the second half, suffice to say your prejudice ran away with you in embarrassing proportions

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

V good posts from Mr bumble and Downcow.

Downcow has a point - there is undoubtedly prejudice in this thread against him and Unionism as a whole, that would not be acceptable if he was a member of say, a minority group. Imagine telling a gay person how all the gays really think, and how wrong that would be.

Far from being judgemental however, I am hardwired to share the prejudices of the Nationalist leaning posters on this thread.

I am somewhat aware of British history on this island, but my default belief is that modern unionism is not a movement that wants to be actually British (after all NI is far less tolerant and liberal than the UK), but whose primary aim is to be belligerent, antagonistic, humiliating and imperialist toward Nationalists. The parts of being "British" that gives them a stick to beat the paddies with is loved, the parts that don't allow it are rejected.

But, that's the thing with prejudice, we all think that we are justified in having our views, and it's very difficult to see past them.

And indeed when I do read quotes from Unionist politicians around the protocol and Brexit, and even when I read certain posts from Downcow, it reinforces the prejudice i have, my brain says it told you so :-)

Juxtaposed to this, almost all NI protestants I know (some of whom are now family through marriage) are lovely, kind people and miles away from my skewed perception I have.

As mr. Bumble said, it is impossible for us to put ourselves in the mindset of the Northern Irish on both sides of the divide who lived day in day out through the terror of the troubles. All that death and destruction has to have an effect, and that is worth remembering.

Great post.

some of us up north have had the opportunity, due to the conflict and everyone trying to fix us, to go through many deep diverse dialogue and self reflection programmes. Not the answer either because it is slow, expensive and can only really touch a small number.

I though have had numerous of those opportunities and admire a post like yours as I had to travel a very long journey to reach your starting point and acknowledge the prejudice in myself and the depth of hurt in the ‘other’ community.

I heard it said once that for each decade of violent conflict, it would take a generation to heal. That requires 3 generations in ni.

i do genuinely wonder if some who post here honestly believe the big bad brits are responsible for all ills in the north and Irish nationalists are the innocent party )the good guys)

my community are the big bad brits now, and we are here to stay. Lots of our families were migrants over 400 years ago. I hear a lot about Ireland wanting to play it’s part with modern day migrants but it hasn’t came to terms yet and truly treated as equal migrants that are here 4 centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

But in fairness DC by your own admission you're not a traditional Northern Unionist. When someone criticises you on your disdain of all things Irish or you you reply with "my father came from your country and used to sing the national anthem in Gaelic". You often lambast people who pigeon hole you as being a die hard unionist while claiming to be a die hard "Northern Prod" when criticised. You're the one showing huge disrespect to the unionist community by parodying their community just to make a point on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

At it again.

You acknowledge the value of a post (this is a positive development) but then whack it straight back over the net. There's not a bit of prejudice in anything I've said. Always outrage, never see the substantive point.

At it again a few posts later. Maybe you dont realise you're doing it.

"for i do genuinely wonder if some who post here honestly believe the big bad brits are responsible for all ills in the north and Irish nationalists are the innocent party )the good guys)

This was after acknowledging another "great post".

I told you I won't engage with pedantry and I don't accept your standards of what is reasonable and what is not. Clearly.

It is not prejudiced in any way to point out reality. I have painted, I believe, a reasonably accurate picture of the way the dominant strain of unionism has behaved since 2016.

You have not countered this. You took out the blunderbuss straight away. Outrage. Overblown language. Trying to smear me with the tag of bigot.

You've now dragged everyone into a debate about what is prejudiced and what is not. This is exactly what you do. Ignore the argument and quibble with the language, or the detal or whatever is handy.

It is not prejudiced to point out when an individual or group behaves in bad faith or when an individual or group acts against the interests of the greater good in society.

You seem to believe it is because you cannot accept what my starting point is. I deal with people, events, the world as I see it. I don't keep a scorecard. If something is wrong, it's wrong. I don't have to run that through an internal checklist of previous wrongs to make sure I'm thinking about things the right way.

You answer every question with the flip side of the coin and don't seem to be able to deal with any point in isolation.

I can see that all your assumptions about me are inaccurate. You cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

This is an interesting one. If most other countries were to conflict with core US values and goals they would face economic sanctions to hurt their economies. Putting an ally like the UK on a sanction list is inconceivable but this is effectively the same thing, only informal and under the radar. The US has passively sanctioned the UK which shows the strength of feeling behind the scenes

That is why we won't see Art 16 invoked. The British know this and are just engaging in time wasting bluster for the benefit of a home audience.

• Advertisement

I’ll say again, I found most of your post very positive, but that doesn’t mean I can’t challenge the prejudice in it eg “The dominant strain of unionism is relentlessly negative towards it's neighbour.” Every group could say this about the other. It’s so moly not true. And if course you don’t specify what you mean by ‘neighbour’ ie northern nationalist or southerners ?

Advertisement