Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was there chaos in Portugal today as they implemented their requirements for tests since midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It also says

When travelling, the EU Digital COVID Certificate holder should in principle be exempt from free movement restrictions: Member States should refrain from imposing additional travel restrictions on the holders of an EU Digital COVID Certificate, unless they are necessary and proportionate to safeguard public health.

In such a case – for instance as a reaction to new variants of concern – that Member State would have to notify the Commission and all other Member States and justify this decision.

So we need to do that second part and it to be accepted.

Where does it say it "has to be accepted" in the Regulation? The new requirements are now published on the Commissions ReopenEU website.

Well I'd assume justify means it has to. Like why ask to justify it if it can't be denied.

Also, this was Monday in response to Portugal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.euronews.com/amp/2021/11/29/portugal-has-re-imposed-covid-19-travel-restrictions-could-other-eu-nations-do-the-same

In principle, member states should refrain from imposing additional travel restrictions on holders of the EU digital COVID certificate, in particular on holders of vaccination and recovery certificates," said a European Commission spokesperson on Monday afternoon.

"They should inform the Commission and other member states 48 hours in advance in case they intend to introduce any new restrictions,"

The spokesperson later confirmed to Euronews that Portugal had notified the executive about its plans on Monday morning and officials were still analysing the request to determine its legality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Pcr test seem to cost well over a hundred euro here, but 70Pound in the UK.

And the times are woeful here.

The airport goes from 9-5pm FFS.

I think it's safer to get tested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ah they're cheaper than that in both countries. Paid 70 quid here for my one with results in 4hrs. Randox is 50 odd I think

It doesn't say anything like that in the Regulation at all. See Article 11. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32021R0953

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Cheapest I found was 130 euro!

Did you do it recently?

Will check that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Go safe is €69 with results in 4-8hrs. Had my email in about 4hrs. Thats the one I went with because the next day results didn't suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The recitals are interesting:

(6) Member States may, in accordance with Union law, limit the fundamental right of free movement on grounds of public health. Any restrictions to the free movement of persons within the Union that are put in place to limit the spread of SARS-CoV-2 should be based on specific and limited public interest grounds, namely the safeguarding of public health as emphasised by Recommendation (EU) 2020/1475. It is necessary for such limitations to be applied in accordance with the general principles of Union law, in particular proportionality and non-discrimination. Any measures taken should therefore be strictly limited in scope and time, in line with the efforts to restore free movement within the Union, and should not extend beyond what is strictly necessary to safeguard public health. Furthermore, such measures should be consistent with measures taken by the Union to ensure the seamless free movement of goods and essential services across the internal market, including the free movement of medical supplies and medical and healthcare personnel through the ‘green lane’ border crossings referred to in the Commission communication of 23 March 2020 on the implementation of the Green Lanes under the Guidelines for border management measures to protect health and ensure the availability of goods and essential services.

(9) Unilateral measures to limit the spread of SARS-CoV-2 have the potential to cause significant disruption to the exercise of the right to free movement and to hinder the proper functioning of the internal market, including the tourism sector, as national authorities and passenger transport services, such as airlines, trains, coaches and ferries, could be confronted with a wide array of diverging document formats, not only regarding certificate holders’ COVID-19 vaccination, but also their test results and recovery.

Yeah which is why they've put an initial 2 week timeframe on this. By the way I think what we're doing on travel is dreadful and sends out a very negative message about Ireland that we're unreliable and flaky. However it isn't "illegal" and isn't going to result in the Commission doing anything against Ireland. Portugal have implemented their testing requirements today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I agree with you. I am not saying it is illegal but it is not without challenge. We don’t have a free for all and we do not seem to think of reputation in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Rubbish, the vaccines changed the relationship between cases and hospitalisations. At least that's what the talking heads promised us.

And to be fair the data this year shows it. Have you even looked at cases v deaths on a graph before coming out with this stuff?

We shouldn't even be counting cases at this point.

He doesn't

Like you he needs an antigen to return...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Anyone know will Ryanair offer refunds or a even a voucher?

I had flights booked Dec 10th and returning dec 13th to liverpool.

Then the Irish government decided to land the requirement of negative pcr tests before flying back to Ireland.

The thought of getting a positive covid result in England and having to quarantine over there until days before Christmas is horrendous, work wise and family wise.

For peace of mind I need to cancel or just use flights another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The flights will operate and therefore you have no option but to take the hit. You purchased non refundable tickets with them.

To be fair to Ryanair they have been out rubbishing Ireland’s nonsense with these tests.

In recent days Ryanair have an option to move flights on currents bookings for December and January.

All airlines will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Im supposed to fly to Liverpool on fri 10th and back on 12 th, does anyone know if i get a pcr test with same day results on thursday 9th lets say 2 pm and my flight leaves the uk on sunday at 5.30 does that mean my pcr test results for coming back into ireland are no good because its a couple of hrs past the 72hr deadline

Basically is there a time stamp on my pcr test of will it just say test done on thursday 10th of december, i really need a pcr test to cover my 72 hrs because im affraid if i had to get an antigen test in liverpool its just too risky incase id fail it and have to quarantine there

I see posts on Twitter that Ryanair are enforcing Portugal's testing requirements and people have been denied boarding on flights because they didn't have a negative test as required in Portugal. Example below.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

• Advertisement

Well, people on this thread were saying airlines wouldn't enforce this at all, especially Ryanair, so it'll be surprising to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Antigen are accepted for vaccinated travellers and far cheaper than PCR . Not ideal but at least shaves some of the cost and time wasting off.

It's PCR *or* antigen.

I get the terror of a PCR test - It could detect microscopic amounts of virus from months ago, long after the disease has stopped being infectious.

But antigen will most likely only be positive if you recently acquired it and are contagious. They are cheaper and less likely to f**k up your plans.

This is a stupid decision by the govt, but lots of people getting upset about the cost and risk of PCRs when ANTIGEN TESTS ARE ACCEPTED!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Question on the antigen test - I'm going to be flying back to Ireland from the UK and I can get an antigen test online for £20, but it basically seems to be a self-administered at home test, you then send result to the testing company and they issue a fit-to-fly cert. Seems to be quite a few online testing options taking this approach. I know the government have mentioned professional lab test for antigen but I don't know how they would actually check this. Even Michael O'Leary made this point yesterday. I'm assuming once you have a fit-to-fly cert attached to you ticket thats all the airline cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Heading over tomorrow and will be coming back Sunday.

So is it correct I can go over without a test but on return I need an antigen test.

If that is positive I need to stay in a hotel for 10 days paid by myself?

If so I wonder is it worth it, I have an important work week next week and Christmas is coming from a financial point of view.

Why exactly did we take vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Just change your return flights to Belfast if you’re doing a weekend in UK.

As the man says, flying via Belfast if your concerned. Very easy to get back to Dublin then on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Yes the cert is all you need. PCR tests have also been done that way all along, self administered and dropped to a collection point.

With change fees and fare differences

Thats as expensive as cancelling

• Advertisement

Oh for heavens sake

Vaccines weren't invented for just air travel 🙄

We are awaiting news on how vaccine evading omicron is

Latest news out of South Africa is not good

WHO are updating in a few days

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-emerging-picture-from-south-africa-suggests-omicron-variant-could-be-real-cause-for-concern-12484064

Advertisement