Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Latest update on Janssen -

If you are aged 40 or older, you should get your booster when your age group is invited. If you are aged 16 to 39, you'll be invited after people aged 40 to 49.

So basically, you'll get the booster when you would have been offered the booster anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Now that is sheer brilliance from the HSE!🤣🤣🤣

If you were aged 40-49 you were not allowed Janssen.

I guess that scuppers the idea of Janssen recipients being called as their own cohort.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

myself. absolutely sick of it. im a 31 yr old relatively healthy person.

i only took the vaccine to protect my parents and partner.

i wont be taking the booster, as i dont need it .

Ye, from it being considered ineffective and part of it's own cohort to be put back to where it would have been.

I'm due to head away on the 5th of Feb which I need the booster for, if i'm not offered the booster 2 weeks before that I won't be taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

But you do need it. The effectiveness of the first two shots have nearly gone which is why they have the booster program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That assumes that the poster ever needed it in the first place and with that age profile and if they are healthy they are an extremely low risk so not a surprise for them not to want one.

There will be fewer takers of the boosters, at least 10% lower according to polls, but 70% would be a good proportion especially if all the vulnerable groups are done to a similar high level as the original programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's dark in the afternoon because the Sun is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Just got notification for booster but does say if had covid since last vaccination need to wait 6 months. I had covid about 6weeks ago but tempted to go and get the booster anyway. From what see online and talking to buddies in the US (where they do not have this rule) I’m tempted to just go do it anyway. Anyone know why shouldn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unless they are around particularly vulnerable people it seems like overdoing it (especially on a 3 month schedule). Having the boosters yearly with the drive in Autumn before flu/winter/"COVID" season would see to be the most obvious schedule, if we can get beyond this winter first (and if Omicron doesn't upset the already unbalanced apple cart).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bellie1

HSE website lists hypertensive as underlying condition. Is this the case? I'm sure that for first round of vaccines you had to have Hypertensive cardiac disease or something. I think they just put the cardiac disease in the next line by mistake with a bullet point. Or has the advice changed and hypertension is actually an underlying condition for risk?

Was done originally by GP because of high BP since my 20s ,but GP not doing the boosters so not sure if am flagged on the HSE site and might be called sooner than age bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The effectiveness is not "nearly gone" or anything like it Wotz. And what people seem to be missing from the headlines rather than the studies is that the studies looked at a drop off of antibody levels. What they found is that men's antobodies dropped off more rapidly than women's(testosterone tends to damp down the immune system, oestrogen revs it up. It's one reason why women tend to suffer more from autoimmune conditions). Antibody reduction was most seen in the elderly(which makes sense as immune response dips with age). In real world results what they found was a reduction in protection against symptomatic infection, but protection against serious illness, hospitalisation and death remained strong(including against the Delta variant) Antibody levels dropped the most with the J&J vaccine, but again protection against serious illness, hospitalisation and death remained strong and that was a study of only 100 odd men average age 61, over half with underlying conditions. J&J's own research and that of Harvard medical school showed the most benefit from boosters across the board for that vaccine was at eight months not three.

Here's a link to a recent Israeli study

A separate study published in October of more than 3 million people found the Pfizer vaccine’s effectiveness against coronavirus infection dropped from 88% during the first month after complete vaccination to 47% after five months. A similar decline was found among delta variant infections.

Yet, as is the case with all available COVID-19 vaccines, protection against severe illness remains strong.[emphasis mine]

Here's a US based study that gives the back and forth.

Again among the talk of declining antibody levels we have this:

The trio of studies published by the CDC show that vaccines do continue to be effective in reducing the risk of severe disease, hospitalization and death. The vast majority of so-called breakthrough cases, in which fully vaccinated individuals test positive for COVID-19, have been mild or asymptomatic. [emphasis mine]

TL;DR? If you're older or immunosuppressed, or chronically ill, the three demographics most likely to be hit by this pox anyway, resistance is much more likely to decline and you're more likely to get a positive infection, but protection against severe illness, hospitalisation remains very high. So a bit of a different picture from the panic stations we're hearing from some in the media, government and the nervy on social media.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Don't suppose there's any way of requesting a booster vaccine other than that offered? Was offered Pfizer, would rather Moderna. Would they have both on site?

I heard Dr Fauci say yesterday that in the US you should get a booster 2 months after the Jansen vaccine.

What do J&J have to say about this?

Also, re the poster above, why don't they give a booster to those who had covid recently? Is it because they don't need it, or because it may be dangerous for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Azatadine

In terms of J&J, the messaging recently has been shocking. The impression you'd get is that it's kinda useless. Surprising that J&J haven't made much comment alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Having had Covid is considered the same as having the booster.

Nothing wrong with getting it, would be a boost after a boost.

Just that it would be a supply issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The messaging about boosters in general has been quite shocking; a product that seems to lose its potency 3-5 months after being administered and then needs to be given to everyone again is not exactly a good product. That said there is a whole lot of politics built into this and it is still viewed as the only tool to get us out of this and it also being seen as a tool that will not get us out of this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The messaging about boosters in general has been quite shocking; a product that seems to lose its potency 3-5 months after being administered and then needs to be given to everyone again is not exactly a good product.

That's the thing though, antibodies drop and they lose some protection against infection, but retain protection against serious illness and death and the older or more medically fecked you are the more of a reduction you see. Not exactly earth shattering news. If you got a measles vaccine tomorrow and they measured your blood for antibody levels, you'd see an upward spike as your body responded to the vaccine, ditto with an actual dose of measles itself. Take your blood six months down the line and those antibodies will have dropped off. If you catch a cold your body will produce antibodies against that virus and again in time the levels will drop off. However the "muscle memory" of your immune system would be ready to produce antibodies to measles or the cold at the drop of a hat should you be exposed again. If your body kept antibodies at infection levels for life for every dose you've caught in your life your blood would be like treacle by the time you were ten 😁

They have and more than once. Before the talk of the need for boosters, that mostly came from Israel and mostly Pfizer and mostly in the elderly, J&J released their study into the efficacy of their vaccine over time(eight months from phase 1 human trials to July/August) and over half a million subjects in different parts of the world and including against Delta and found protection against serious illness and death remained strong and improved over time. This was backed up by other studies too. The three month J&J thing came from a tiny sample study of already half fecked American men, which the authors acknowledged had limitations, but for some reason that's the one that's been jumped on by politicians and the media. On the booster side J&J stated that the best interval to get the highest antibody levels with their vaccine was to boost at eight months not three. The American CDC state that all the current vaccines give long term protection against serious illness and death, but an increasing risk of breakthrough infections, even though in the vast majority they're mild too.

Put it another way; if J&J is so much of a dud, why did the Irish government spend a few milllion quid on gifting half a million doses to Nigeria in the same week Varadkar expressed "profound concern" over the efficacy of the same vaccine? A tad contradictory no? I'd love to know what the Nigerians thought when they read that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bingo. It was another reason I chose the J&J over the others particularly the mRNA versions. While it had more clotting issues, albeit in a tiny number of people and didn't give as much intital protection against serious illness and death, it's a viral vector that seems to stimulate actual infection in a more "natural" way* and studies demonstrated it showed a more stable and longer lasting effect on the immune memory mechanism and got stronger over time. As your link notes:

It’s still early, but Collier thinks the dynamics might look a bit different for people who got a single dose of J&J. Her recent work shows that their antibody levels start significantly lower than mRNA recipients’, but that eight months out from vaccination, the numbers have stayed stable, and have, perhaps, even gone up, shrinking some of the gap between brands. “I liken them to a fine wine,” Collier told me. “They get better over time.” Still, antibodies aren’t everything. J&J’s success might come down to how those antibody levels behave further out, and how the rest of the immune system behaves in concert.

And this seems to be reflected in the real world with all the vaccines too. Yes we're still under restrictions here in Ireland but we're significantly more open than in the first lockdowns. The mad traffic in towns and cities would tell us that. We're also more lax in general compared to earlier in this pandemic. And positive tests are indeed going up, but hospitalisations are pretty stable and at least half of those are unvaccinated and I'd bet the farm the vaccinated percentage are much more likely to be the very old and/or the very health compromised whose immune memory is going to be compromised anyway. I was reading recently that the age demographic in hospitals has shifted a bit. In that there are more younger patients than in the first stages of this pox, again most likely down to the unvaccinated and this was happening before the booster rollout. The vaccines work and work for a long enough time.

*I don't mean natural in the hippie dippy ballsology sense. I mean in the sense that it apes infection by the real thing more than slices of mRNA because it uses an actual virus. The problem with viral vectors can be with boosters if there are more and more required. The immune system can reject them precisely because it's seen them before.

Adrian Dunnes in Arklow are doing over 60's and medical conditions

I've an appointment with my gp for a booster on Wednesday, cohort 7

• Advertisement

@Wibbs wrote

eight months out from vaccination, the numbers have stayed stable, and have, perhaps, even gone up, shrinking some of the gap between brands

My emphasis. It is not clear from that article that J&J is ever better than Pfizer in terms of efficacy. There are also some downsides of such an immunity profile, which is that you can't respond quickly with boosters in a surge. Well you can, but they won't be as effective at squashing the outbreak.

If it was up to me I'd take one or two of each. Sure, what's the harm?

Anyone know if record of a booster is added to the vaccine pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks so much Marine Layer, just called them and booked in for this afternoon.

Thats a big weight off my mind for Christmas, cannot thank you enough :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

+1. My personal opinion on boosters is that if you're over 65, immunocompromised, or have serious underlying conditions that means your immune system is less efficient then boosters are a good bet. For every one else I'm not nearly so sure.

The aim of squashing any covid outbreaks with leaky vaccines and that's all of them is in my humble a pointless aim with the current vaccines at our disposal. There will always be a circulating reservoir of this virus. So we're going to keep firing out boosters every six months chasing our tail? You may reduce them to some degree, but this is quite unlike say the smallpox model where we were able to squash outbreaks by ringfencing them with vaccines and drive it extinct in the wild. The important differences were smallpox was only infectious when symptomatic. There were no asymptomatic cases. The vaccines weren't nearly as leaky as the covid type and smacked down all variants, such as they were and immunity lasted much longer. Again in my humble if we can get immunity down to asymptomatic or very mild symptoms in an already mild enough illness and live with it, expand our daftly precarious health service overflow capacities, then that's the best goal at the moment and one that is actually achieveable and would have wider benefits to health.

And again personally I still have doubts over mRNA technology and doubly so if the approach is trying to booster the virus out of circulation every six months with that tech. The latter is never going to happen with the current setup. It'll be rinse and repeat as we're seeing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm hoping we see the nasal vaccines come online soon (interesting to see Putin getting a dose as part of the trial and whether it was for show or reality). That will probably get through a lot with a fear of needles and help on transmission if they're effective. I do wonder if we could package vaccines into a pill for oral ingestion would people's reluctance to them drop away (Polio vaccine was just a drop of liquid), people seem to be happy with the idea of taking a prophylactic daily (IVM) if it was a once in 6 months deal (and called it "not-a-vaccine" for marketing) would we be at 100% take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

No covid certs are not being updated now; they might do it in the future though?

I didn’t even get a vaccine card when getting my booster (my 3rd shot was mRNA, 1st 2 were AZ)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I know a good few people who aren't bothering getting the booster all under 50. Personally I can't see us ever having the same high level of vaccination again and that's going to be a huge issue going forward

@Wibbs wrote

The aim of squashing any covid outbreaks with leaky vaccines and that's all of them is in my humble a pointless aim with the current vaccines at our disposal.

So flu vaccinations are "pointless" too?

Flu vaccines and the reasons for them are quite different and even there they're primarily aimed at the elderly, immuncompromised and otherwise vulnerable, or those around them like medical staff and carers. They're required in those groups because the virus mutates more and variants are more likely to partially or entirely bypass previous immunity, so tweaked vaccines need to be delivered.

So far the existing vaccines cope with the various covid variants, including it seems omricon. The annual tweaked flu vaccines do little to stamp out the flu seasons every year. People still catch flu on the regular. Plus for the vast majority of people the flu is mild, that is doesn't require hospitalisation and we should be increasing overflow capacity anyway like I suggested for covid, which would help with the flu, pneumonia and similar in the winter months.

As it stands we already live with the influenza virus as IMHO we should with covid, so long as the already vaccinated exhibit asymptomatic or mild symptoms and a massively reduced incidence of serious illness and deaths that impacts our overloaded and under capacity health services. Again it is my opinion and I'd bet the farm virologists would agree with me that we've almost zero chance of making covid 19 extinct by any of the current means at our disposal. It's far more likely to mutate itself into extinction. What we can do and are doing is reducing it to a disease we can live with, by protecting those that need protection and the current vaccines do that, boosters for the vulnerable and long term immune memory responses for the rest of us that reduce the risks of serious illness and death. Hell given the actual real world risks of serious illness and death before vaccines for the under 40's was daftly tiny, if all we did in the future was vaccinate the over 40's and the health compromised we'd have a fair chance of living with this pox. Just like we currently do with influenza.

For me that's a far far better aim than trying and failing - and we will fail IMHO - to wipe it out, or even get close to that. We've wiped out smallpox and we're nearly there with polio, but comparing either of them to covid 19 is for lots of reasons futile.

• Advertisement

Thats great to hear,let us know how you got on,was that the Arklow branch as I think there's one in wicklow Town too or possibly Bray

Advertisement