Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VirginMedia and Vodafone have no power backup systems for internet access

Options
  • 02-12-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Had a power outage of about 2hrs in Dublin 5 yesterday evening. Not the first one since start of lockdowns.

I am using a small APC UPS for my small server (NAS), and also have the internet modem (virginmedia) and my PoE Wi-Fi access points hooked up to it. The gives me about 40 minutes or so of backup power. Enough to have the server shutdown cleanly.

However, that is pretty much pointless as as soon as the power in the house went down, virgin media’s router lost connection to their network. Meaning that obviously there is no backup power setup on their side.

Same / similar problem with the Vodafone mobile internet - the radio signal still showed At least HSDPA connectivity, and I was still able to make phone calls, but no mobile internet connection.

To be honest, you wouldn’t normally expect any power outages of that length in a developed capital city, so I can see why virgin or Vodafone would save the money, but given it isn’t the first outage this year I am well disappointed.

OTOH, I would also expect four if not five nines availability from any of the big network providers.

Eir has recently run fibre down my road, so I am wondering if switching to them would help.

A cursory look at various support pages or T&C’s doesn’t seem to reveal any SLA levels as such.

sure I could ask for a commercial internet pipe (I use it for work anyways), but what’s the point if the backbone can’t even handle a power outage.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i witnessed a situation recently where a power outage highlighted that two separate internet pipes from 2 providers that enter the facility in 2 separate channels were both knocked out by the same substation, you'd need cable and satellite to have proper failover

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭newirishman

I guess that's the point - why do the ISP's not have UPS in place for their backbone network?

In the office, I had 2 fibre providers- separate fibre, separate channels, etc. Was already thinking about putting a 4G as additional backup in place. No point doing it though if the ISP's rely solely on the electricity network without any backup power for their infrastructure. I mean, surely you can get some battery backup and (if necessary) a generator for not too much money for the various relay stations you might have. Especially given the relatively low power consumption of fibre networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Strange, previously I lived in Dublin in two properties over the years and had Virgin Media in both, likewise with a UPS in the house. Modem stayed online with connectivity during all power outages, one of which approached three hours (my own UPS died first).

Likewise, now living in Kildare on FTTC, and when the power goes the modem remains online via the UPS, as do our mobile phones (although in fairness the nearest tower is in an ESB substation site with onsite backup generation and ESB provide the backhaul).

It's possible the batteries in the Virgin Media cabinets are shot as they do need to be routinely replaced.

In terms of priorities on the phone networks, voice and SMS are most likely the priority, not data. With the move to 4G/5G however then data will naturally become part of that as everything moves to packet switched.

FTTP should improve things because that runs to the Exchange, which will likely have generator backup, and anything between you and the exchange should be passive.

As for 4 or 5 x 9's on a ~€60 a month subscription - not a hope! Vodafone, Eir and Virgin Media all offer connections with high SLA's and diverse paths but you'll pay more for a month's service than you would an entire year of a typical residential or SME connection.

Advertisement