Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's the router though, not the satellite, you can use the router as a satellite and avail of the 2 ports (I think) but it only has 2 channels and isn't a smart speaker.

I've just ordered a couple of routers to replace 2 of the satellites, I must pick up a cheap hub if I spot 1 on sale somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Sure thing , you should buy x2 or x3 Nest WIFI routers to create Mesh and don’t bother with the Nest WiFi Points.

As for the smart speaker, Google Nest Audio or Nest Hub 2nd Gen on Sale atm.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I see the original Google Wifi for 139 on a Dutch site Black Friday deal. As someone who has only used the router supplied by the ISP, I'm struggling to see a reason not to click order?

Who is your ISP ?

What is your broadband package, top speed?

Do you have VOIP or TV bundle with the broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm living in France - I have the highest speed cable broadband, includes TV bundle. Don't have VOIP or any other landline

• Advertisement

“ the highest speed cable broadband “

based on this answer I would recommend you leave it the way it is now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yeah, I know about the speakers, I've those dotted around the house as well, I've the Max connected to the TV as well, just sometimes it's handy to have 1 device instead of 2,for example I've 1 of the satellites in the upstairs hall and it doubles as a chime for the Nest Hello

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Been thinking of getting a mesh system for a while - newbie to all of this though so hoping someone can help me out and advise.

Currently using a 4G PAYG SIM in a Huawei B525 router. House is approximately 280sq metres and theres major WiFi blackspots all over the place.

Would something like the Google Wifi - Mesh Wifi System, pack of 3 for €150 work with a 4g mobile broadband router?

Would it be future proof if we were to upgrade to 5g in the bear future, or alternatively get a fibre broadband system installed, could this be used with all of those systems to improve WiFi coverage throughout the house?

Does this just increase the area coverage or does it boost the speed also?

How does this compare with the TP-Link Deco X20 AX1800 for £199 on Amazon, or indeed the Amazon eero mesh Wi-Fi system | 3-pack for £150ish?

Which would be best? Need something easy to install and nothing too complicated.

Thanks everyone! 

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

The mesh network will just connect everything together, your laptops, tablets, phones, etc. etc. 1 of the things it will also connect to is a router so you can get connected to the outside world, once the external router has a physical connection you can connect it to anything, either now or the future. It won't improve the speed to the outside world but it will mean that more things can connect to that connection at the top speed available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I have the BT Whole Home system (4 discs). I'd recommend it. Was look for something to cover a new extension which was covered by my original router.

Speeds are good in the extension which is the furthest disc away from the router. Easy to setup and a nice app to go with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sorry Alec, i must be wrong so, i saw on the google store that the goolge mesh has ports, but the images i saw of the Nest Mesh, it had none,

Nest WIFI router has 2 ethernet ports. NEST WiFi Point has none.

So , you should buy X2 or X3 Nest Routers instead of Nest Points and use extra Nest Routers as satellites for the Mesh .

I'd second this advice, use the satellite in places you won't need cables and a speaker would be handy, the router everywhere you'll need a cable. I've satellites in halls, bedrooms and kitchen, routers in office and another where I keep app my IoT bridges (heat, security, lights, etc), very handy being able to hide those and not have to have them next to the main router.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Looking to upgrade myself at the moment. Im not really upto date with this mesh systems. I have an Eircom router in one corner of my house upstairs(for some reason). Im getting wifi speeds of appx 45mbps on 2.4ghz and 85mbps on 5ghz channels. Using wall sockets currenly around the house to spread the wifi and connect stuff via ethernet and its working away fine. Can only get the 5ghz channel when im beside the router to not benefitting really from it. If I was to upgrade to mesh would I be able to connect to the 5ghz channel all over the house?? Looking at TP Link Deco S4 system or something in that price range or lower...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I was in much the same position - Eir router, and very similar speeds. I've recently put in a Deco M4 system (just one downstairs and one upstairs and I am getting on average 76 mpbp on 5ghz all over the house now. Was hoping I might get a bit faster than that but even still it is a vast improvement on what I was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have you anything connected directly via ethernet to the downstairs unit? Just wondering what sort of speeds you might expect from that..

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Only thing I have connected to the main unit directly is a Philips Hue Hub, so I can't really tell from that. I'll give my laptop a bash later and see

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

I recently set up the Deco P9 (3 pack) system at home following advice from this thread (concrete floors, block walls etc) and it is working great.

I have one dead spot that is the furthest point from any node/unit. As I can't get a single P9, would anyone be able to recommend the next best thing? Would the M5 single be suitable or would the M3W be sufficient?

I've had TP Link repeaters and power line AV600 extenders before the P9 that didn't do the job.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

My wife and I have just bought a new home that has FTTH. We have ordered the 1Gbps product with Pure Telecom.

I had hoped to get ethernet wired into some of the rooms while I had flooring up but can't get someone to do it. The house was built about 15 years ago so doesn't have really thick internal walls. I do however want to get as high a speed over wifi to each room in the house. I also want this to be as stable as possible.

Pure Telecom supply a Fritz!box 7530 router that can form a mesh network with other Fritz! products. Anyone got any experience of using this and the sort of speeds and stability they get around the house with it?

The idea of a WIFI 6E mesh seems like the ideal but the reality of obtaining kit for this seems to place it a couple of years away. I keep thinking about getting some sort of mesh setup that is "good enough" at the moment and maybe set something up with 6E in a couple of years. Anyone got any recommendations for a mesh setup that will work with a PPPoE connection directly so I can just pop the Fritz! router in a drawer? I'd like to avoid spending more than €300 in total for this.

I don't just want something with solid speeds but something that can handle large numbers of devices connected to it without falling over. We have a load of smart devices around the home as well. I need something as well that works without any sort of wired backhaul in the house.

I can pick up a second Fritz! 7530 for just €58 from CEX which seems like a very cheap way of getting things setup. How good or bad is that likely to perform?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

If its a bungalow or dormer ceiling mounted access points would be the way to go for providing solid WiFi, and easy enough to physically install

Unfortunately, I am tech savvy but completely inept at any sort of DIY. Fitting anything to ceilings is going to be beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

It's just 4 screws and you couod practice on a bit of plywood

Still keen on any recommendations on Mesh systems for my needs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I bought the Eero pro system when it was on offer last from Amazon. Highly recommended. I had previously had the Deco M5s but I returned them as I was having isssues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Hi, looking for some advice if possible.

Have a Deco P9 x 3 wifi mesh, this is extended with E3 and one of the wall plugs. This is to provide full coverage over house as I have smart lighting/heating etc.

System works well but I am a person who likes and upgrade so wondering what would be best to replace. I need to have a 2.4Ghz wifi to connect to smart plugs etc which won't support 5Ghz. Also the solar PV system seems to have some issues with authorisation so I leave a guest network open so it can connect to it. Then restrict what people can do if they connect to the open network. Also set up alert etc. The Solar PV system is due a firmware upgrade so this should* be resolved in the future.

I would like to move to wifi6 but I don't think any of the system will also support 2.4Ghz?

Any decent system available? google wifi a good job if I buy 6 units?

Thanks

Purely depends what WiFi speeds you are looking for. More mesh units connected wireless to each other means slower speeds to the clients. You probably might stop buying retail garbage and get 2 professional WiFi APs ( Aruba or Ubiquity) connected to router via Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I wouldn't call it garbage. Plus I am living in one of the many black holes in Ireland, mobile BB is the best I can get so investing in professional kit seems a bit over the top. Thanks for advice

I had a look for the Aruba stuff, looks interesting, who sells it in Ireland? only found one device via HP and I am not a fan of HP

• Advertisement

Putting in some wired ap's will make your home network stable and reliable irrespective of what your ISP is. If you are looking for wifi6, then the latest ubiquiti aps would be worth looking at as well.

Just keep in mind, fibre will be on the way, no matter how rural you are, so a robust local network is a good investment

Advertisement