Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes, I think thats what you should do.

You dont need the two charge points to be load balanced though. Just ensure both of them are load sensing and they will each react independently if the whole house load reaches the max value you are comfortable with. You can even mix and match the charge points models if you wish (Zappi, Hypervolt, Elli etc... lots of them support load sensing now)

my fuse to 80 from the normal 60. That would allow 2*32a chargers with 16a left for the house and the ability to automatically reduce charging speed if the house demand exceeds 16a

This is exactly what I have and I have a heat pump as well so a very high energy user. Works fine and allows you to maximise the use of your increased fuse rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you are moving house get charger grant at first house, you also get the grant again at second address. This will help cover the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

"Around 20 Energy Storage Systems will “temporarily” bridge the gap between supply and demand until the motorway services in question can “obtain increased power directly from the grid”

Given all the problems with Grid connections here, could this be the way forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe in rural areas, but to be fair there aren't problems with the grid, it just isn't economical to pay for an upgrade considering the amount of likely traffic that charger would see

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

...Audi Cork general manager Liam Murphy...

Mr Murphy said the Government should cut VRT on new petrol and diesel cars to encourage people to upgrade to more environmentally friendly newer models. “Factories don’t have the capacity at the moment to supply the amount of EVs that the Government are calling for in the Climate Action Plan so the best way for Ireland to hit our emissions target is for people to drive newer internal combustion engine cars,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Are there enough Facepalm memes and emojis in the world to cover this one?

Such a selfless offer by Audi Cork general manager Liam Murphy.🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Here's a random EV thought, I wonder how things are going to go for future learner drivers with EVs. Hopefully it'll be a lot easier, given an EV is much simpler to drive, but there's potential to use the connected services to some benefit as well

For example a lot of manufacturers are starting to have user profiles with their cars. There's the potential that a profile could operate in a "learner mode" where the motor output is restricted so they don't suddenly accelerate into a wall. Could do other things like add more prompts for stop signs, etc. and default the navigation to avoid motorways

It could play into insurance quotes as well. I'm not sure many insurance companies will be rushing to insure an 18 year old driving a 320hp Model 3, but if there was an app on the car so they can see the motor has been restricted then it might be easier for younger drivers to get insurance

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

When you share your BMW Digital Key, you can choose the type of access you grant to others. You can also modify the access you grant others when you share your BMW Digital Key with them. You can grant full access or, if your son or daughter is learning to drive for example, you can check a box to limit their access. They will then have a restricted access, which limits how fast they can go and ensures that the Dynamic Stability Control and Intelligent Safety cannot be deactivated. The restrictions available vary depending on the vehicle you have.

I don't know anyone with a digital key - anyone here have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,939 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is there a thread for electricity contracts? Can't find it.

What's the best offer right now?

• Advertisement

On bonkers.ie, for me (rural, day/night meter) the best option is now electric ireland. 18c day 9c night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah prices are nuts overall compared to a few years back.

I'm now on 22c/11c with SSE. Could have got a cheaper rate but this one gave a €200 credit and with my solar and battery capacity it'll work out cheaper.

I renewed with Energia, no night metre and am on 18.82c including VAT.

I'm currently with flogas, they were briefly cheap but have had 3 price increases to i believe 27/14c day/night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And as always, what the actual usage is, is key.

Moved my parents to ei too. But went for the "ev plan" which is just 300euro Cashback. And they have solar and batteries, they are on at least 90% night rate.

Tldr know your usage, and use bonkers. It's pretty accurate.

Post edited by graememk on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, your previous usage is on your existing bill. Best package depends on your specific usage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have just noticed that my main Fuse is 60 amp despite having an EV and a heatpump, its a new house so wiring should be fine, how do i go about getting the fuse upgraded to 80amp?

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connections/increasing-decreasing-supply/domestic-user

That will be a start, They may require a tails increase though to 25mm2.

For the upgrade in supply will be 1744 going on the ESB price list.

Also Talk to an electrician too, they'll know more about it.

1744 plus additional work. A not unsubstantial cost.

A load balancer (like in the prior posts) would be cheaper.

i have a load balancer, thats grand, not sure why the fuse wasnt 80 amps to begin with, i gather most houses with a heatpump are.

all works fine for now so i wont be spending any wedge on it!

• Advertisement

I had to upgrade for other reasons.. My old connection was spec'd at 8kva, 10mm2 from the meterbox to the consumer (screw in fuses, no RCD) unit, but still had a 62amp fuse in the meter box.

So now theres its a 16kva, new consumer unit with 25mm2 cables from the meter box now and a 80 amp MCB

When you say main fuse are you referring to your consumer unit or the ESB fuse in the meter box?

The answer is very different depending on which you are referring to!

And when you filled in your NC6 form to get electricity connected to your house did you ask for a 12kVA or 16kVA connection?... you have to specifically tick a box on the form so you (or maybe your electrician) should know. That will also determine what your next steps are and whether you have to pay ESB anything for the upgrade.

Consumer unit

Also it's a new build in an estate so I didn't fill out anything !

Generally if you have a heat pump you would get the enhanced supply (16kVA, which gives you the 80A ESB fuse) but its possible that your HP isnt that heavy on juice and didnt require the enhanced ESB supply. What make/model of heat pump do you have? Is it rated <8kW?

Its also possible you have an 80A fuse but the electrician didnt give you an 80A fuse in your consumer unit and just left it at the standard 60A eventhough you had the enhanced supply.... that happened me and I had to rectify that later but it wasnt a big deal.

I think your starting point is to call ESB and ask them what MIC your supply is.... i.e. 60A or 80A.

If they say 60A then you would have to go the route mentioned earlier where you pay them €1700 to uprate their fuse AFTER you get an electician to provide a cert that your tails and consumer unit are appropriately rated/wired for 80A. So you'd have to pay ESB and your electrician in that case.

If they say 80A then you dont need to do anything with the ESB. Its all down to your electrician to check what tails you have (25mm² min required for 80A). If thats already in place he just needs to uprate your consumer unit and give you an 80A fuse on that and away you go. This was what I had to do.

So, start with the call to the ESB and find out your MIC and then proceed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tesla is the daddy, drove the model 3 today and sat in the Y in sandyford, no comparison to the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Did you order one? You won't regret it 🙂

Supercharging network took a big jump this year too. Most of the country will be covered by Q1 next year when Enfield, Athenry and Sandyford are online

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not yet ,still coaxing herself to agree ,she loves the space we have in our jeep but it's completely unnecessary for our needs in truth

Used audi etron I looked at in Limerick was as expensive as the Tesla Y, uk import too so shorter warranty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone rented a Tesla in the US, how was it? Colorado.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there a map of the supercharging points in the country?

Advertisement