Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

For healthy people. We are wasting millions of jabs that aren't need. Once its people with darker skin dying in their hundreds of thousands its all good hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Deaths are a lagging indicator - those people probably caught covid in Aug-Oct...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It kills a very small amount of young people though. We don't ban driving cos people die in road crashes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Whatever not. Schools whether they have a uniform or not usually have an appropriate dress code. A facemask simply becomes part of that dress code.

Why would covering one's nose and mouth with a suitable piece of cloth be logically any different to covering any other part of one's anatomy with a suitable piece of cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They do but they would also be expected to do things well, something that is really not true.

The modelling In particular has been a disaster, even accepting that modelling itself is not an exact science. Yet they continue to use data from these models to pursue that remit. Not a big deal in its own right but when it is the only arbiter of government policy there is a problem.

They are also not above playing politics and they know that the media will report any musings from the CMO or other NPHET members. Witness the persistent use of the absolutely nonsensical 400,000 cases and slightly less nonsensical 200,000.

Recent decisions and recommendations have become even more bizarre. There is apparently an obsession with COVID certs, gyms and hairdressers and basically anywhere indoors, including pantos.  The decision on masks in primary schools really looks like a clinical decision without once remotely taking into account that there are people involved and small people at that.

Of course, if we come out the end of this period without all doom and gloom emerging the public will be praised for doing the right thing. As somebody observed recently about a CMO tweet, he really doesn't get much of a response anymore. In a lot of respects it is a pity that they didn't slip into the background on October the 22nd.

Your own scapegoat I see is the HSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Masking children, variants, lockdowns, mandatory injections, digital permission slips etc etc....

Do we want people to die? No?

But how much of society are we willing to disrupt/destroy to control a virus? Undetermined.

A line needs to be drawn somewhere, and because it wasn't drawn Day 1, things are spiraling out of control. Its way beyond what is reasonable public health policy, and not even morally acceptable (by pre-2020 standards).

Any societal cohesion we had in the past (including during the early "in it together" stages") is well and truly unravelling, and reading this thread only proves that. Our leaders have really done a number on us. Whether that was involuntary or intentional is irrelevant.

Throw peer-review studies at each other all you like, it's reminiscent of monkeys flinging excrement.

The argument is lost if the intolerable continues to be tolerated.

There's even a poster who shares this regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I often see the myth repeated on here that the covid vaccine doesn't kill any young, healthy people.

It's just not true. But both are very highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

To prove my assertion I only need a single example.

• Advertisement

I don't have any opinion on mask wearing. I agree with current guidance of children 5-11 to be able to receive the vaccine. We vaccinate children for MenB which is a much rarer occurence than covid-19 in children. The vaccines are safe and effective and I believe that once all the data shakes out after we are through the pandemic, it will be shown that the covid vaccine will have reduced risk and harm of covid in children vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. Admittedly, this based on professional opinion.

Anyway, my point is that it not true that that influenza is not more dangerous to children than covid. Needs more research but there are detrimental effects to kids having covid. Needs more study to truly figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yep it's great to see the vaccines working. Fair play to everyone who took them. Hopefully we get an even better run at more stuff back to normal after winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Except that potentially 10-15% of MenB will die, never mind the 1 in 5 chances of a variety of long term disabilities. COVID really is none of that and it leaves kids largely unaffected. While I appreciate it's a professional opinion, that can often be far too clinical and forget that we are dealing with human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

If we're on the way to another lockdown before they open up after the winter they could be suggesting a fifth booster, we'll have to keep boosting ourselves with vaccines indefinitely until this goes away. Because the virus mutates It appeals to the majority of us to keep boosting ourselves with vaccines. Thank God we have Pfizer because without them we would probably be very sick and have buried a lot of people.

If I have to take another 6 boosters so be it, and they're safe. Now we can even mix and match etc

Before we delve into the fairly dubious area of state control over personal vaccinations there needs to be a whole lot of work in terms of what public health policies have done to persuade people to take vaccines. In some countries this worked very well, whether it was cultural or indeed a very good public health success. Other countries are complete failures on this and mandatory vaccines is effectively a nuclear approach to what is really pest eradication. I don't think it's warranted at this particular point, if ever and it does allow those with poor vaccination rates to paper over their own failings. 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Gusser09

And just to be clear, it's people who have died with Covid. Not necessarily of Covid.

That no longer matters as vaccines have taken care of that risk for the vast majority of people. We are 5th lowest for deaths in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Well shaming the unvaccinated or making our they're right wing nut jobs isnt the right approach.

Nor is threatening their livelihoods and future prospects. Locking them out of society is absolutely disgusting. By dividing the unvaccinated away from the vaccinated such as passports etc only makes the unvaccinated question the validity of taking the shot.

A lot of the so called antivaccine people are asking why are they getting blamed for not taking something and it's not working for the people who took it, because the people who didn't take it...

There's a lot of mind games going on and no wonder people aren't taking it because they can see the contradictions and lack of clarity.

The worst thing the media did was blame the unvaccinated, when we're all responsible for our own decisions.

I took the vaccine to protect myself against covid, and getting any severe illness. It's up to me and not the unvaccinated to make a risk assessment.

On reflection, I don't think vaccines should be mandatory for children. I do believe that they are safe and effective in this age group and if I had a child within this age group, I would definitely have them vaccinated. I understand that Meningitis does have a significant higher mortality rate. However, covid infection is far more prevalent than MenB and loss of school time if infected, risk of "long covid", higher risk of myocarditis etc, are more a problem than any perceived side effects of the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

This is true, but the example that poster is talking about seems to be people who have the very aggressive immune response which leads to death. It's just not as simple as 'being healthy is enough no need for vaccine' (even if these cases are very rare)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/30/life-tragic-death-john-eyers-fitness-fanatic-who-refused-covid-vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Most of the unvaccinated i would know are anything but right leaning tbh. If anything they seem very left of centre in their views.

There's a link in that genomic research in that, which like other research into the virus has still revealed very little about the virus. It's an area we should be devoting a lot more money and time to.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I would say there might be a need for a vaccine but the need for a booster isn't there, and for kids, I honestly don't think there's even a need for the vaccine when the vaccine doesn't stop spread. Vaccine prevents severe illness very well but the vast majority of kids don't get that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't disagree at all on this as a discussion point. But it's a bit like saying that someone should have installed better anti-pest measures in a building while the place is absolutely crawling with them and the timber is about to collapse.

Is it possible that for countries with low take-up due to cultural or educational issues, that such issues could be reversed/overcome in the short term? Maybe if they use the carrot approach rather than the stick. But we know from the US, that some are so entrenched in their position that it would require an unreasonably large carrot to get them to take a vaccine.

So it's reasonable to suggest that we should be prepared for the eventuality that mandatory vaccination may be necessary to address the problem. That's the talking point. Hopefully the outcome of that discussion would place an onus on countries to try a load of other things first before resorting to a mandate as a final step. A framework of escalation to improve vaccination rates, that applies EU-wide, and applies a threshold that must be met before a member state is permitted to mandate vaccines - say less than 60% take up.

This is better than refusing to even entertain the idea and then the union being in complete disarray when it comes to figuring out the questions on human rights, certificates, travel, etc etc. As it is, I expect Austria and Greece's approaches will end up in the ECJ and take years to sort out. We could have these questions answered in advance to avoid vaccine mandates becoming a default tool.

What was said:

It is understandable and appropriate to lead this discussion now - how we can encourage and potentially think about mandatory vaccination within the European Union. This needs discussion, this needs a common approach, but I think it’s a discussion that has to be led

Why was heard:

You will be tied to a chair tomorrow and forcibly jabbed tomorrow

have heard that nphet want more restrictions and that pubs and restaurants are the main target. Closing time coming into Christmas of 8 pm.so will coopers be open at 1 pm to get around this.it’s pretty obvious that destruction of an entire sector is the only goal of the cmo at this stage and the frightened public will just shrug it off.follow the science

Mean time from symptoms to death is about 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's a discussion and suggestion that shouldn't be tolerated. It's a slippery slope we could go down if we give them the powers to make vaccines mandatory. No doubt there is an element of lobbying going on by big pharma. It needs to be resisted and people need to retain choice. We all remember the campaign to have 8th amendment abolished. People should have the choice of autonomy.

Advertisement