Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

This is a violet, a very common wildflower

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like wild violet I think. One of the weeds that gets a free pass in my garden 😀 It can be very vigorous if it is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Thanks a mil both of you! Thought it might be violet but wasn't sure. Just planted a big herbaceous border and it's running riot but perhaps better than some of the other intruders and at least it's ground cover while things grow in...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any ideas what this is - growing in my “lawn”?!

I think its this stuff - apparently poisonous so take care with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Can anyone tell me what this is? It's grown up through the middle of another plant at lightning speed over the summer.

Looks like a goat willow. In fact anything that comes up with speed and looks tree-ish in the middle of another plant is usually a goat willow. Try and get it out, I wouldn't bother trying to rescue it, just rescue your plant!

Oh dear - I hope I haven't left it too late for that. It's looking pretty formidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

Hi, could someone tell me what the weeds attached are in the photos attached please? I noticed them in a patch of the lawn a few weeks ago but they have spread rapidly. The lawn is about half an acre in size, what are my options to get rid of them? Thanks

It appears to be creeping buttercup, though its a bit hard to see. It seems most likely. My 'lawn' is about 70% creeping buttercup, I just keep mowing it, its green, what harm? It does tend to creep into all the non-lawn bits of garden though!

You could try using a selective weedkiller for lawns, but its pretty tough stuff and you probably won't have much grass left when it is gone.

I'm note sure what your game is, or how you get amusement from this, but I had no doubts about anything.

#IGNORE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Am I the only one who sees that ^^^ as a blank post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Me too and I don't remember doing it! 😃

Sorry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember someone years ago posted a guide to IDing pine trees - for example, a lot of the differences between say corsican pine and scots pine can be subtle, IIRC. does anyone have any pointers for a guide to do this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can someone tell me what plant this is, please? It was a woody branch in a bunch of flowers I was given, I don't know if it's a shrub or a tree. Thanks.

Post edited by New Home on

• Advertisement

Is it Parvifolia, one of the Eucalyptus family I think.

Thanks Looksee, I had a look on the web but the leaves aren't quite the same (especially in how they're attached to the branch), at least from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

I immediately thought willow

Yes I considered willow, but willow leaves are generally wilty, I had a branch of that stuff in some flowers over Christmas and it lasted at least a month! It seems to have much more robust leaves than willow, and I know a lot of florists' foliage is basically eucalyptus so that was a first thought. Come to think of it though my branch might well have been Parvifolia, I don't recall the leaves were quite the same as NH's sample, they were more pointy.

Whatever it is it would have to be something that could be pollarded pretty much, in order to be able to harvest the huge quantities they would need.

Yes, the leaves are quite rounded at the tip and regular in the way they are attached to the stem. The main branch (and branch it was, not just a stem), was as thick as a thumb. Unfortunately this one has almost wilted, but I'll take another picture later of what's left. My mind kept bouncing among willow, olive and jujube and rejecting all three for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Olive was my first thought. Branch shape looks right. Leafs maybe a bit to round.

Thanks, but I'm sure it's not an olive, either - the leaves are the wrong colour and consistency and so is the wood and, in this case, too, how the leaves are attached to the branch (imparipinnate, I think the term is).

I had always been under the impression that pinnate leaves just referred to the pairs of leaves and that the one at the end was a given, I have just looked up imparipinnate and find my impression was wrong!

I'll admit I found that out myself 10 mins before I posted that....😊

• Advertisement

Lol, google is a great yoke for upping our skillz 😀

Advertisement