Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainee Solicitor Support Group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

This is a daft question but what type of photo do you upload haha I don't want a bad one stuck on my student card 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

When you go on the iPad selection page, it will have a breakdown for you for the different options 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

64gb isn't that much storage after is it, would you need more storage for all the books etc ?

Are the books all digital? Even a 200-300 page pdf wouldn't be that big maybe a GB or two

• Advertisement

I decided to go with the free iPad it's pretty good looking!

I'm just about to send off my indentures, can someone help me with something quick. In the Form 4A at point 2 what date do you put there? Do you put today's date there? Or do you put the date of when you began your training contract?

Anyone have a clear idea of the workload required for ppc hybrid and is it lectures for the full Saturday 2 times a month,are your weekends pretty much gone with it?

Can you apply to the bursary scheme if you're on the access programme?

When paying the Hybrid fees, do you just sent it by bank transfer with your Solicitor Number as the reference? And how do you send on "payment confirmation" by email to the trainee dept? Do you just send a one liner saying you've paid the fees and to look out for it?

• Advertisement

I emailed a screenshot of the paid fees and let them know what reference I've put on it. I think I put my trainee solicitor number then "PPC Hybrid Fees". Then just ask them to confirm that they have received it.

For anyone intending to claim back the tax rebate of 20% on the fees, will we not get anything back if we are paying very little tax no tax for part of the year ? Would we better off puting the money through the company and let them claim 20% for us ?

Has anybody got their indentures back and their place in the course confirmed? Getting impatient now as we have our Onsite induction in 2 weeks.

Onsite induction is going to be online I think they said when I rang a few weeks ago.

How will we get our ipads?

That's such a shame, I was really looking forward to going up and having a proper induction. An online one is going to be awful really, what can they do show us how to get around Blackhall place via Zoom haha.

They didn’t show is around at all the induction was a bit pointless but we got our iPads and books and met our tutorial group

I rang the Traineeship section and asked was it going ahead in person. The woman on the phone seemed pessimistic about it being in person and suggested it might be an hour and a half online induction instead. She said they had a meeting about it yesterday and an email will be going out soon to everyone in the Hybrid.

An email has just been sent by the LSI about the induction being online for the 15th from 12-1pm and the iPad and materials will be given to us on 14th January during the first on-site weekend

I didnt realise how long the Onsite days would be. 12-8pm Friday and 9-6pm Saturday is a lot. Will you guys be paid by your training solicitor for these hours on site given that during the standard PPC trainees are obliged to be paid.

As far as I understand, I'm paid as normal for the Fridays and unpaid on the Saturdays since it's a weekend anyway. I also didn't realise how long the house will be. I can already tell I'll be wrecked. I look forward to e-meeting you all on Zoom though and actually meeting you all during the onsite days...if they will be going ahead in person

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm quite surprised they carry on past 5pm, I would've presumed they'd all be dying to get home themselves. I'm terrified of having the awkward conversation about pay. If I say nothing I'll be left unpaid for every weekend both online and onsite, which I don't think is entirely fair considering PPC 1 students are paid Monday to Friday. Although I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule where there are students who are not paid.

Really excited to start myself too. I've already been 6 months in the office I'm in and been doing a lot of good work lately. Hopefully it gives me a bit of a headstart on the work because I can already tell its going to be full on.

You could maybe raise it as if you're just seeking clarification on it? Although I find conversations about pay quite awkward too but just something that has to be done from time to time, I suppose. I've been putting off the conversation with my training solicitor about the Fridays. Do I have every Friday off for the duration of the PPC1 or just the days scheduled for the onsite/online. There's just so much left for us to sort out ourselves. I sometimes wish the LSI would give a more stricter guideline about pay and time off.

Me too! Just almost passed the 6 month mark in the office. It's been quite busy in the office so I'm conscious about that time off. Hopefully it all works out for us

I just realised as well that the last train to Mayo is 6.15pm on Saturdays...I have to pray they let us go early haha.

a lot of ppc students are not paid … it not actually obligatory it is the law society’s reading of the law but they don’t check if you are paid or not

also if they pay your fees and decide to pay you they can reduce the amount to around 300 a week

Oh no! I shall keep my fingers crossed for you. Maybe you'll be able to leave earlier...there's always the option of getting notes off someone for anything you've missed in that last hour or so :)

Yeah I have no choice really unless I fancy staying a 2nd night in Dublin!

Quite a trek though! And ideally you'd have your Sunday completely free of all travels to/from Dublin

That would be the aim yeah, a day of rest per week would go a long way!

Much more affordable than the standard PPC so no complaints really! Just a bit startled by how long the hours are haha

• Advertisement

Absolutely! I'll be catching up on some z's on that rest day for sure haha

Advertisement