Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

The "free" connection is for the App, updates and anything VW controls.

20.6 Kwh/100 Km = 4.85 Km per Kwh so that should get you 373 Kms

How much of that was at 120 ?

I'm mighty glad I got the 77 Kwh too :-)

Still 350 kms seems like a reasonable expectation to be at a charger from 100% charge.

I'll be driving a good bit Friday, will leave work Early and hopefully get a 100% charge, leave Blanch at around lunch time, head to Carlow, collect Family then head for Galway so will be some trip, around 290 Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

From Leighlinbridge exit to the ball roughly and back would have been at 120. About 140 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Just curiosity, does anyone have a video of them setting and planning a route in Ireland on the latest software, im just curious what it looks like, how snappy, does it show the charge stations accuratly, does it give information on free spots at charge stations, is the map accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Regarding the map accuracy, mine seems a bit out of date, still has a Circle K nearby which got demolished about 2 years ago and is now an Aldi. It also tried to send me down a closed road yesterday

However it also has a lot of other road closures marked and it does have traffic updates, so the issues might be more of a problem with incorrect data being fed into the maps

I think they get the map data from TomTom, no idea how they compile the data. Maybe there's a place to submit updates

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

120 That's not bad then, you're 2 exits further down than me lol.

If that had been my 24 Kwh Leaf I probably would have got 80-90 Kms to empty and take 40-50 mins to get to 85% for just 18 Kwh and it sucked a massive 35 Kw from the grid on a "fast" charger with a warm battery lol 

🙂

I remember the time when people started complaining to the ESB for throttling the fast chargers when it was cold batteries and a very poor charging curve which was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Do all of the ID.3s have this issue where the percentage of battery used does not match the kWh/100km shown.

20.6 kWh/100km would give you a range of 374km with the 77kWh battery but if you used 82% of the battery the range is 333km.

I have the 58kWh version and the difference in the two figures is often way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There will be losses due to resistance in the battery and powetrain, so even though you have 58kWh in the battery, not all of that is going to get to the wheels. The losses could add up to several percent

Also the ID cars don't seem to count consumption while preheating towards the overall consumption. To be fair, it would end up being infinite since the car isn't moving 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

No EV adds preheating to the Kwh/100 Km reading. What we need is a Kwh used since last charge and Kwh per trip that would be most useful but highly unlikely we'd get something so useful.

As said below any preheating from the battery while not plugged in won't be added to this Kwh/100 Km reading, no ev does this.

The Kwh/100 is a nonsense figure to begin with, it came about to make the transition from ICE to EV easier, some strange decisions are made by the auto manufacturers.

The kwh/100 Km figure is an average over the kms driven.

One way to look at it is this, if you get 180 kms from 50% it would be safe to assume over similar terrain, weather, speed and driving style that you would get 180 kms for the next 50% for total of 360 Kms.

• Advertisement

Got home today from blanch 86 kms and used 15% which I thought was pretty good for the amount of rain and surface water for the entire trip, M50 speeds 60-90 Km/hr, Slow then from red cow to City West, 50-60 Km/hr then 80-100 on N7 and much the same on M7 Naas bypass then 130 Km/Hr on M9 from Kilcullen all the way to the Carlow/Castledermot turn off then the last 4 kms home heading towards Carlow. I though that was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d go on the battery used before the kWh/100 km figure. So yep 330 km for me at this time of year but I freely use the heating and preheating and travel at 120 if conditions suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Jeez ye guys are taking way .to much notice of this.

It's full it will do X Kilometers simple as.

58 is anything between 300 and 400 n odd km

Also if y'all want to talk efficiency......

Well that's an ioniq28 isn't it ?

Ide is crap by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Has anyone tried to buy replacement windscreen wipers? Original ones leave a lot marks so probably need a replacement. Bosch websites don't even mention ID.3 so I'm not sure which ones to buy, any ideas?

Also booked a replacement VW boot badge as mine has just fell apart. 4 weeks lead time. Also the dealer tried to blame me for breaking it - I said not a chance so it's a warranty job:)

Post edited by Rusky rusky on

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Had same issue with marks on windshield. Checked blades, all good.

Used WD40 to clean the blades with a cloth. No more marks or smears.

Might save you the cost of new blades if not visible damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

It's a well know cleaning remedy for the rubber on the blades as it removes damaged particles of the old rubber..Quiet effective from my experience.

Does no harm so worth a try.

Yes I thought so considering how wet the roads were, temp set to 22 deg I think no less and 130 Km/hr "clock speed" all the way from Kilcullen to Carlow Turn off on the M9. Granted from Blanch to Big ball wasn't that fast. And no preheat from mains.

Yeah have to say, wipers are rubbish on the i3 whatever blades they used are not good and very surprised if they're bosch, I wouldn't expect them to be that bad but also the windscreen washer fluid doesn't help because it's got anti freeze in it and that alone can leave lots of smears.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

You can preheat from the mains. Switch on aircon from app and watch how charging rate drop below half. The rest is being used to preheat cabin and battery. Worked perfectly for me this morning. Temp 5.5 deg.

Arrived at the Galway Plaza this evening and plugged in at 38% after getting from Dublin - Carlow Around 70 Kms to pick up family then arrive at plaza to charge and arrived at 38% charge.

Battery temp was around 12 Deg C so wasn't expecting a very fast charge but wasn't expecting 100 Kw of course at that low temp but was expecting more than 51 Kw.

I went inside to use toilet, get a cuppa and came back out and still around 50 Kw at 56% battery had warmed up to 21 Deg C and what I don't know is whether the battery heater had come on or not as I hadn't monitored it but I don't think it would have warmed up that much from a 50 Kw charge in that space of time.

Anyway, the real killer is that I got only 28 Kwh in 25 mins I was quite disappointed. I unplugged at 73%.

What I now need to find out is what the battery temp needs to be for more than 50 Kw vs the usual charging curve which I believe to be far too poor for a 84 Kwh battery.

Definitely need a hack to be able to get the battery heater to come on prior to fast charging because this time of the year it's not worth using high power chargers and paying more when in reality the 50 Kw chargers are more than fine, it's a real shame because the car has the hardware to warm the battery.

I haven't ruled out ESB throttling just yet either but no evidence yet about this so can't wait to try Ionity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

If my maths are correct you averaged just over 67kW. You need to start charging at under 20% to avail of good speeds, I know it's difficult to do with the scarcity of higher powered charge points.

Advertisement