Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think I would go for:

1. Andrew Porter
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Michael Ala'alatoa
    4. Jack Dunne
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Tommy O'Brien
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Jamie Osborne
    15. Hugo Keenan
    16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Will Connors
    21. Nick McCarthy
    22. Ciarán Frawley
    23. Jimmy O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I said effectively. You can’t say you were missing a guy who was never meant to be in the country in the first place either. That’s a stretch. The general point was it was a 1st/2nd string team vs, at best, a 2nd/3rd strength team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That was last year before Conan was a lions 8. I'd say Conan 8 and Doris 6 is the most likely combination if both are fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, can’t see past Doris-VDF-Conan as first choice.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

expect teams named today for a friday night kick off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster Rugby v Connacht (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (34)

14. Jordan Larmour (65)

13. Garry Ringrose (90)

12. Robbie Henshaw (58)

11. James Lowe (55)

10. Harry Byrne (26)

9. Luke McGrath (156) CAPTAIN

1. Cian Healy (236)

2. Dan Sheehan (17)

3. Michael Alaalatoa (5)

4. Ryan Baird (32)

5. Devin Toner (269)

6. Rhys Ruddock (194)

7. Josh van der Flier (102)

8. Caelan Doris (43)

Replacements:

16. Rónan Kelleher (28)

17. Andrew Porter (80)

18. Vakh Abdaladze (13)

19. Josh Murphy (49)

20. Max Deegan (69)

21. Nick McCarthy (39)

22. Ross Byrne (109)

23. Tommy O’Brien (11)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Happy to see H Byrne get a start, he needs a decent run and that pack should be able to give him a platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm surprised that Connors isn't in the squad. Hopefully he isn't injured again.

Also, we have an issue in the second row. This is yet another game where we have no recognised lock on the bench. And 35 year old Toner starts again despite playing poorly against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

2 teams at close to full strenght should be a cracker. Nearly a straight shootout between H Byrne and Carty for 3rd outhalf spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Why?

H Byrne is 22 and at the very start of his career. he needs time and games. Seen the below earlier and it is 100% true. From a Leinster point of view really a solid performance is what we should be expecting, anything else is a bonus as he progress's over the next 1-2 years to challenge's his brother for the number 1 spot when Sexton retires.

From an Ireland team if Carty is an option he should be after Sexton/Carbery slot. Bringing in a 30 year old at this stage as a 3rd choice squad player would be a huge step backwards and with no view to the future.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/felipe-contepomi-calls-for-patience-with-very-talented-harry-byrne-41101843.html

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Connacht are not close to full strength: Buckley, Thornbury, Murray, Boyle, Bundee, Tom Daly, all injured. Cian Prendergast and Tom Farrell would normally start but are on the bench. No Papa Leahy either. Not sure that Connacht are really targeting this.

The team they have lined out is the full strength team of players fit would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Sorry I made an error there: Buckley, Thornbury, Bundee, Tom Daly, and John Porch are injured. Boyle and Murray are, AFAIK, available but not selected. Farrell and Prendergast aren't starting but are on the bench (both are making their return after injuries). It's difficult to classify where Papali'i stands on the selection chart.

My understanding of 'full strength' is a squad that is not carrying injuries to key players. But as I've clarified, even if you interpret this as 'best of those fit and available', that would not be an accurate description of this Connacht selection. Bear in mind the smaller size of connacht's squad and budget, those injuries to starters are more difficult to absorb.

Regardless, Im looking forward to JC v HB. Harry should get good service from a strong pack and has a fantastic back line. If he's going to shine, this would be a good place to start. By the same token, Jack will likely be on the back foot, let's see if he can make something of it anyway.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

All squads have injuries. From what you are saying this would be Connacht picking the strongest team they have available.

I would say similar from a Leinster point of view. If Sexton/JGP/Ryan etc hadn't injuries they would be expected to play. Some of course ruled out because of workload in last few weeks like Furlong.....

H Byrne doesn't need to shine, he just need to play a good game. Nothing more. Expecting him to shine in a difficult game like an interpro is a step too far at this stage, if he does then great but in reality a couple of weeks of solid performances would be a lot better for him in the long term.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"The team they have lined out is the full strength team of players fit would it not?"

"All squads have injuries. From what you are saying this would be Connacht picking the strongest team they have available."

Just 2 days ago, you gave an example of a Munster team that was the strongest they could field, with 1 change, and gave it as an example of a "weakened team, far from their first choice" that's played when knocked out of Europe. Change of heart?

Bored of bickering with everyone on the Munster thread so trying to start here? I have zero interest but I am sure that won't stop you from replying constantly

I'm just pointing out what you're saying, 2 days apart, is entirely inconsistent. Today, when it comes to Connacht v Leinster, it appears you agreed with my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Toner starting! No Dunne? It's a good line up except for Toner. He's a liability imo. The fact that no academy players are pushing him is worrying.

HB getting a start is great news. The lad needs a run of games. He's been injured a lot and could use a bit of luck.

• Advertisement

No, you accused me of posting something which I didn't, then when pointed out you went back and edited your original post to cover up your tracks. Also random accusations of been some random person to divert attention. Puzzling carry on to say the least

As I said at the time, I have zero interest in someone who just wants to bicker with strangers on the web

I would have gone for Tommy O'Brien ahead of Larmour. Or maybe ahead of Ringrose. I'm not convinced by the Henshaw/Ringrose partnership.

I've literally admitted you didn't say "cobbled together". I even edited my post to correct the error. That's not "covering up my tracks". That's admitting a mistake. (And tbh, I even think I had it edited before you pointed it out to me).

Now, do you care to admit your inconsistent mistake on weakened vs full strength teams?

Because H Byrne was included ahead of Carty in the last Irish squad. H Bryne has been very poor in his last 2 appearances, I agree he has 2/3 years to develop. You are aging Carty who only turned 29 in August and could be challenging Carberry for backup to Sexton. So this is a good game with 2 strong teams to get a barometer of where they both are in terms of Ireland selection, nothing to do with Leinster selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Tommy O Brien ahead of Ringrose! Why not Conor O Brien? I'm not convinced of the Conor O Brien Henshaw partnership! Nor the Tommy O Brien Henshaw partners.

I think I'm going to go with Turner and Hawkshaw. Could be the future Ireland center partnership! Ringrose has been poor. He should be sent off to the Cornish Pirates for the remainder of his career.

1. Dooley

2 McKie

3. Vakh

4. Baird

5. Murphy

6. Maloney

7. Hernan

8. Toner

9. Hb

10. Rb

11. Russell

12. COB

13. Turner

14. Porter

15. MOR.

DO IT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

HB doesn't necessarily have to shine this week, but he does have to shine in a few big games at some stage. He was marked out as someone who had great potential and then he needed to kick on and realise some of that potential which he hasn't done yet. There are various reasons for that including injury and lack of game time. But he still needs to actually pull together a consistent run of high level performances. He hasn't actually done that yet.

He is coasting on potential at the moment. Not his fault, but he still has to actually do the job

He does need to shine if he wants to get ahead of his brother as he won't get many starts with this strong a Leinster team. Leinster is extremely cut throat. He needs to cut out every play being a Wonder play and show he can control a game like his brother, get most of his kicks (it was shocking last game). He is alot more athletic than his brother but he doesn't take his chances he won't get many others given their are alot fewer games.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

agreed

harry is playing for the start against bath.

if he doesnt perform then Ross most probably gets the starts until after christmas when sexton is back.

• Advertisement

If anything Leinster have proved they have a plan for players and how to progress. At 22 is H Byrne really looking to move ahead of his brother this season? or is he planning on getting as many starts in the URC and hopefully a start in Europe.

With Sexton more or less an international only player now for the majority of the season you would expect R Byrne to start in Europe till hopefully Qtr/semi so maybe H Byrne get a home game in the group. If he got 10 URC starts this season then great.

The article above suggest Leinster management want to give him time, which in my opinion is the right approach.

Advertisement