Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Quoting Ryan, now there's an own-goal, congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭amacca

That to me doesn't necessarily say we should stop all beef production if that's what you think its saying. As I rewatch it....it seems to have included the process of slash and burn in the calculation of the carbon footprint of beef.....not much of that going on in ireland...its a complex topic and as good as the inanutshell videos are you couldnt hope to get all the nuance in a 10 minute video

ruminants are part of a natural cycle....they are actually useful for the biodiversity of certain areas ....the video fails to address the potential negative consequences for the environment in the unlikely event everyone was to switch to a vegan diet....the answer doesnt lie in sudden dramatic shifts in diet but an incremental change...it also doesnt lie in zealous total eradication of something thats been in our diet for thousands of years and has existed in some form or other in that time...we have canine teeth for a reason (we are omnivores ffs)

now over intensification/overproduction/waste and the primary producer being shafted to concentrate wealth and profits in the hands of a few.....that is a problem.....that would be my angle on the buy local thing.....cut the real driver of the problem out....or try to over time...farmers can work with nature if they are not driven to work against it and paid fairly for their produce....... but if you pay a guy poorly for his produce and force him to work against nature because of the system he is in then that is the real driver of most of the problems

the video also fails fairly spectaculary in not mentioning that cropping means disturbing soil (tilling/ploughing etc which releases carbon - although there is a mention of the emissions for rice production) and lets assume everyone did move to a vegan or vegetarian diet do we really think there wouldnt be overproduction, more use of pesticides and huge release of carbon that way too, Id argue its potentially much more destructive idea than a mix of grass fed beef, poultry etc etc but paid for appropriately......the video did in fairness did speak about the energy density of food..but I would also wonder how much more crops we would need to produce an exclusively vegan diet for the worlds population given the foods wouldnt necessarily have the same energy density, that would surely bump up the amounts would would have to grow and the soil structure you would have to damage this releasing carbon etc etc

it just doesn't sit right with me anyway...........I see much more beneficial behavioural changes that could and should be made to ameliorate climate change than attempting to make beef production a thing of the past but people dont want to hear about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭roosterman71

With fertiliser prices through the roof, and even the product itself getting scare, how is that going to impact all the veg/corn products that vegetarians and vegans rely on for sustenance? Grass will still grow though animal numbers will probably have to reduce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When the civil servants get enough food scarcity, they might reconsider the cutbacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s hard to plough a field with a pencil.

these bureaucrats haven’t a clue about food security. Europe has fantastic food production capabilities and yet they are rolling it into an era of food scarcity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I think your first paragraph sums up the Irish thinking, as in it's not me it's the bad Brazilians with their slash and burn. No mention of all the soya and Maize based feed products that we use that comes from those same ex-rainforest lands that btw are being slashed and burned by mainly European companies

• Registered Users Posts: 32 matt.v

Buying local is a pipe dream, good butchers are few and far between and one's that slaughter their own are even fewer.

All in all a lot of it boils down to the underappreciation of food in our society. The only thing people look at on the pack of meat is €/kg, most wouldn't care about where or how it was produced. When people are like that producing quality animals alone won't cut it, you have to be selling on a high quantity of them too. Flash back to the start of covid when people were buying all around them and returning to cooking hearty, traditional meals, or the yellow vest riots in France over food cost inflation. Most of the time people just take a constant supply of nutritious food for granted. Its pointless for the top to lecture down to farmers about cutting herd numbers when the whole rest of the system is stacked against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Absolutely, it boils down to people talking out of both sides of their mouths

Michael O Leary made an interesting comment last week during an interview, he said how Ryanair had offered the passengers the chance to offset the carbon used in the flight by making a voluntary "green" payment towards the carbon. Nobody took this up, people just wanted cheap flights.

Same thing for food, they just want cheap and plentiful. They'll play lip service to the state of the Environment or global warming while chewing on a steak and ham sandwich in the over heated office but they will not pay a cent towards it.

It'll take a lot more damage to the Environment before anything really gets done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

If we are really serious about the climate we should have a greenhouse gas level scale that every product a consumer can buy has imprinted on its packaging/sale tag.

For example a T bone steak from Argentina in Tesco swords has x greenhouse gas generated to put it on the shelf.

A T-bone steak from the local butcher, who sourced locally, has x/2 greenhouse gas generated to put it on the shelf.

Same with cars, clothes, all other food, etc etc.

Everyone wants change but no one wants TO change

One taxi driver shares his experience after switching to an EV for his business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A great short video from Cammy/The Sheep Game - Just Keep Farming.

https://fb.watch/9DIZIv9KCN/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭DBK1

Hard to argue with anything he said. Probably one of the best summarisations of the whole debate really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭alps

Had a look on the Opel site for info..

You need to be staying in the city🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭ginger22

If electric vehicles and the electricity they use was taxed @ the same rate as petrol and diesel would there be any savings and if the carbon emissions related to the electricity generation were accounted for would there be any reduction in carbon emissions. And what about the carbon emissions and damage to the environment caused by the manufacture of the electric car in the first place.

If electric vehicles and the electricity they use was taxed @ the same rate as petrol and diesel would there be any savings

True but its not

If the carbon emissions related to the electricity generation were accounted for would there be any reduction in carbon emissions.

They are and the grid is getting greener every day. By 2030 its planned 70-80% of our generation will be from renewables, by 2050 100%.

What about the carbon emissions and damage to the environment caused by the manufacture of the electric car in the first place.

There is nothing that does not have emissions. Get dressed in the morning, emissions from manufacturing your clothes, packaging them, transporting them to the shop etc.

Yes EV's have emissions coming from their manufacture. The answer to that is to transition as many people as possible away from private car use and on to greener forms of transport. In this case, its a EV taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Volvo did a study (they are in a unique position as they make the same car in ev and full petrol). It should take until both cars pass 109,918 km before they break even as the production alone of an EV uses 70% more emissions.

Running the C40 on the EU28 electricity scenario doubles the overall reduction in emissions to 30 percent and reduces the breakeven point to 77,248 km. And if you’re able to charge your C40 on renewable energy alone, the carbon footprint of the EV is half that of the ICE, breaking even in just over 48,280 km.

The long term goal is to make it too expensive for anyone to own a car and we will just use public services and live in big cities.

• Advertisement

The long term goal is to make it too expensive for anyone to own a car

I think a better description would be that in the future, choosing to use the car will be the more expensive option, so if you have access to alternatives they will be the cheaper choice.

Personally I drove for 20+ years and sold the car last year. Now I walk, cycle, bus, train everywhere. For the few times I absolutely must have my own transport, I use GoCar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I think a lot will be priced out completely so I'd stand by that statement eg: the person working in a local store/warehouse. Me I prefer to cycle when in Dublin even though I earn enough that driving everywhere would not be a cost burden. In the last year I've only done about 5k driving and the majority of that was a drive over and back Hamburg-Dublin. I prefer to cycle more for enjoyment than anything else. Public transport in Dublin is a cespit though and not something I would choose to use as a replacement for a car, whether its people smoking hash at the back of a bus to, junkies fighting on the Tallaght luas or the Cattle cart that can be the Sandyford Luas. Once enough people are in EV's the taxes lost will have to start to be recouped and once this is implemented on EV's they will be a lot more expensive than traditional cars and people will be pushed to subpar options. At the end of it all we will have less and be taxed the same.

Governments want futures were everything is as a service so they/companies can govern it.

What about people who have to drive to different remote work sites around the country on different days?

Will they get an extra allowance due to the fact there is no PT option?

Thats an outlier/fringe case and as such, no policy is ever designed to address outliers. That covers any topic you wish to choose

That being said however, what is going to happen is increased charges, duties and taxes will pay for an expanded network of PT though but there will always be remote places that won't be reached by a viable (low demand / high cost) PT alternative. In those cases the individual vehicle would be the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭White Clover

Can't you see that the discussion is about Dublin. To hell with the unwashed.

• Advertisement

I’d say there’s more people than you think who this scenario applies to.

Construction workers who have to carry their tools with them.

Sales people.

utility workers.

farmers (who have land rented in areas remote from their own houses)

Many other examples.

Agree though more money has to go to PT but I’m not sure should that be through increased taxation.

We should be striving to gain efficiencies in sectors to pay for this, eg the health service.

The health service is very well funded comparatively, yet it’s vastly underperforming.

Throwing more money at it won’t fix it.

We need to make it more efficient, saving money and using this money in other sectors.

Oh I've no doubt there are quite a few folks it applies to, I just meant in the context of the population travelling, the amount meeting your criteria would be a small number by comparison to those where PT would be a viable option, sorry should have clarified that when I called it an outlier.

Regarding funding, some sources will come from taxation, some from charges (congestion/parking/tolls etc) but the biggest chunk will come from reducing spending on roads. Agree on your point about efficiency but thats a whole other kettle of fish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭Base price

+1 and I'm from Dublin.

I was considered a pleb cause I lived in the country (North County Dublin) even though I attended school in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭green daries

Policy!!!!! There is no policy. All there is is reports and notions about greening the economy. a pile of green washing, and oh ya a pie on the sky never going to happen target for electric cars that on average are going to be as energy dense and polluting as any ordinary car.

• Advertisement

Good good. Look forward to paying higher energy bills so they can recoup that

Its actually such a cluster fook by the entire EU energy wise the last couple of years it would make you want to cry. And now we have noobs like himself actually running the asylum it's Just going to make it worse ......it's like a drunk young lad let loose with a AK-47

Yes and the consumer will pay them back handsomley through higher electricity prices. More of the same.

There is a promotion for Damien O Reillys Agritime playing on Radio 1 at the moment where there is an environmentalist saying the "Ireland was once covered in native forests before the land was cleared for agriculture. But he forgot to mention that back then we lived in caves. Should we go back to foraging through the woods for berries and nuts. You would wonder how these nutters get airtime.

Ya there's no background check and investigation into how mental these people are it's the same thing on most shows the presenters just sit there and nod and never call them out..... mostly because they don't really care

Wonder when the land was cleared? Saw a graph recently that showed Ireland has the same percentage forestry today as it had 1000 years ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looks like a sprint race to the bottom and a lot of pain for lenders when they go bust, out competing each other with price cuts for energy no one wants and they can't fit into an interconnector to export.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And before that we had an ice age, several in fact. At one time an ice shelf extended from the Baltic over Scotland, Northern England and into Ireland. All the way down to Cork where it looked to have ended. Polar bears hunted in this environment in Ireland and mated with what was left of brown bear cave bears probably in Cork. The Irish cave bear dna is still there today in the polar bear population.

Before the ice we had a warm period a lot warmer than today called the Eemian period. Hyenas roamed in Cork then. Hippos were in London. Humans were about too.

Damien'll be discussing the benefits of hippos next..

• Advertisement

Ya and a levy to pay for it all plus the huge amount of regrettable emissions from the construction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

% price hikes in comparison to 2020 are a complete misnomer. The biggest economic shock in decades. Prices of everything went haywire. At one stage the wholesale price or either electricity or oil went negative can't remember which one. What's the % increase across all sectors when compared to this time 2 years ago. The price of electricity is skyrocketing as well, and is currently at a price that I never thought we'd see. A bigger problem is the stability of the grid. If everyone switched to electric heating and electric transport the whole thing would calve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unfortunately most of it is sterile alien spruce plantations that are a world of difference to the native woodlands we had back then:(

When though? Thought in school that in was our imperial vagabonds that clear felled for building ships...but happened more than 1000 years ago, its a completely different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭straight

The ship has sailed. Ironically it's sailing into Ireland with peat from Latvia instead of harvesting our own. How moving the harvesting from one part of the world to another, plus adding shipping on top is a good climate move is beyond me. There must be a word for it. Bolloxology perhaps!

Nevertheless, such investment is good news. But why oh why is it being done now. This should have been done years ago. Or certainly before peat harvesting was stopped so that there was some work done into alternatives.

Like many initiatives, it's done arseways

Same as the local new local gas turbines and electricity storage here....... why have they left it until there's power cuts threatened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

University of Limerick already know the answer to that I presume. Not sure why the others got funding too.

It's an acedemias dream this government is.

Advertisement