Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) discussion thread

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Did the same thing myself today. Chanced my local to see if they had stock and they had one white OLED that wasn't a pre order. Boxed up Switch last night and dropped in this morning. Impressed with OLED from what I've played on it so far. Just wish Nintendo would get their sh!t together and start making it a bit less of a chore to change consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My swap was successful, but either information I got here was wrong or out of date or Gamestop have changed their policy. I asked about transfering my data and the staff said Nope! So I had to try and do a backup in store. Thankfully everything had already been backing up, but my SD card had to be reformatted and I had to download a bunch of games onto the new OLED.

I'm actually sorry they only had the white, I miss the red/blue pop of my original console.

Aside from transfer, I hope they do something like slowly transitioning borders for nes/snes/n64 titles. My partner plays DrMario64 A LOT and I am so paranoid about burn in from the borders that I have forbidden her from playing long sessions in handheld mode! Crazy, I know.

Anyway, original console (with the lesser battery) + 2 games on the tradein list I purchased for 35 euro each from adverts + 65 euro = new switch OLED. It was too good to turn down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Seems to vary by store. I only realised the evening before that a couple of my games wouldn't backup to cloud. Splatoon 2 I knew about but Dark Souls also wasn't compatible and wanted to transfer over my AC Island too. Lad in store understandably said they couldn't do it as they can't take responsibility for these things if they go wrong. He was sound though and let me hook up both consoles and transfer Dark Souls, Splatoon and AC data over in-store. Only took about 20 mins.

Played a bit of handheld last night now and very impressed with the screen. Most games look much better and indies look great. The real test is if I can play Skyrim during the day in handheld, found it very hard with previous Switch as once you go into a dungeon you can't see anything. Speakers sound better too and extra 32 gb internal storage is nice. Its a decent deal if you can pick up 2 games from the list cheap or have them lying around. I had a couple I probably wasn't going to use again so worked out well, upgraded for 51 euro total cos I had some bonus thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I've given up hope of getting a PS5 before Christmas for my kids, 7 & 10.

Would the Switch be a good alternative or should I wait?

Kids friend has PS4 with Minecraft which he was hoping to be able to play online with his friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Although it might not help with minecraft (no idea if this is x-play) but coming from an adult, the Switch is a much better console than the PS5 and gets far more use in our house (me and my partner, no kids!)

I think for kids it's ideal:

• loads of nintendo games aimed at younger players (Kirby, etc)
    • Loads of really high quality ports if they want something more grown up (Doom, the witcher, etc)
    • It comes as a local multiplayer console out of the box - no need to buy another controller
    • No need to worry about them hogging the tv, they can just switch to handheld mode and go to a different room. Same for travelling, play undocked for hours in the car, airports, etc.

If you told me I had to give up one console, it would be the PS5. It's not that it's disappointed me, but I've mostly been playing PS4 games and haven't been blown away by the 2 next gen games I've played (Miles Morales and Demons Souls)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Thanks. Bit the bullet at the weekend and picked up the Switch. They were all out of the OLED but it's not that big a deal.

Got extra controllers so the family can play multiplayer and a few games. I'll do the family subscription too and pick up an SD card as I'll probably by through the e-shop going forward instead of physical games.

As a teen in the 90's I'm looking forward to playing a few SNES games too!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Just realised my switch is not connected on LAN just over WI-FI. Have tested the cable straight to TV and it works there so not a cable issue, anyone else experience this? Not sure is it a setting issue? Haven’t been going online so not an issue yet but would like to sort it while it’s under warranty.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Ok ignore me, just figured it out. I was only sleeping my switch not turning it off properly. A quick restart and the wired connection started automatically, gone from 35mb on wireless to 148mb.

6.96kwp South facing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

I have an OG Switch, and am keen to trade in for the new OLED one, but I have that problem where the plastic over the vent has broken off. I know CEX will still take it, but do Gamestop also take slightly damaged ones? It's perfect apart from that, boxed and all

Advertisement