Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Hence why I said a couple of solid performance from H Byrne is what the management are probably looking for. If he can put in a few performance and a run of games without injuries then the rest will follow. He has how many minutes under his belt this season and we have people saying he needs to shine. I disagree, it's only an opinion. I would be very happy with a good solid performance this weekend and a for a few weekend till the 6 nations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

At 22 is H Byrne really looking to move ahead of his brother this season? or is he planning on getting as many starts in the URC and hopefully a start in Europe.

If he got 10 URC starts this season then great.

He's pretty unlikely to get 10 URC starts this season tho, I'd imagine. He'd have to start 9 of the remaining 12 regular fixtures + knock-out games.

The only way he's likely to get those starts is if he does move ahead of his brother this season.

Carty is 29(sorry my mistake at 30) but will be 32 at next WC. We don't need player to challenge for back up. We need player to go after the number 1 jersey which is what Carty should be aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

At this stage he should be looking to get ahead of his brother and starting those big games in Europe. Than he can set his sights on Sexton, Sexton could be back 3/4 weeks and he mightn't get many starts in bigger games if he does. If he wants to play for Ireland which I imagine is his goal, he can't continue to be 3rd choice at Leinster. Ross is a very good solid pro but has a ceiling, I think Harrys ceiling is higher but needs to show it. He won't learn much playing against weak dragons/Zebre teams, he needs more games like the Ulster one last sat or he won't improve.

Leo said it himself after Ulster game there is limited game if players don't take their chances they mightn't get another.

If Sexton had come off the bench in the HEC semi final in 2009 and Sh*t the bed do you think we would have seen much of him again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Sexton had come off the bench in the HEC semi final in 2009 and Sh*t the bed do you think we would have seen much of him again.

We had no other flyhalves signed for the following season so yes.

• Advertisement

No he shouldn't.

He will learn loads from playing week in week out v Zebre/dragons etc. That is exactly what a young player needs, minutes on the pitch

As pointed out above, Sexton was the only player signed as an out and out 10 for the next season, yes Isa could play 10 but he wasn't a first choice in that position

Sexton was never planned to play such an important part of the semi or the final but it was down to an injury. If Contepomi hadn't of got injured and played those games with only small cameo's from Sexton do you think we would have seen much of him again/

He is currently 3rd choice for Ireland, he won't learn that much behind a dominant pack against Zebre/Dragons where is under no pressure. If he is to remain as Ireland 3rd choice he needs to be playing games against the better teams where games are in the balance and learning to steer them home.

No one ever plans injuries/sending offs but they happen. Do you think anyone in New Zealand planned for Stephen Donald to be coming on to kick the winning kick in the RWC final when Dan CarterColin Slade and Aaron Cruden all got injured. Both our 1st and 2nd choice outhalfs for Ireland are injury prone. Forgive me for wanting our current 3 choice Irish outhalf to be starting tougher games like the away game in Montpellier. We all know what Ross can do but no one has a clue yet if Harry step up and I for one would like to see it.

i didn't see Leinster dominate Dragons in the recent game, Benetton just beat Glasgow.

The rest you are not making any sense to be honest, you made the point that Sexton was only kept because he didn't "**** the bed" int he semi. I am just pointing out Leinster had already made the plans at that stage for the following season and it included Sexton as the starting 10.

As per the link above the management have made it clear their policy which is a very sound one based on the massive success leinster have had with promoting young players and is the envy of most clubs in World rugby

Coaches are never going to say publicly what they think privately, tho. Even if they did think that Harry needs to get ahead of Ross (and I'm not saying they do), they're never going to say that.

Harry does need game time tho. Lets hope he gets an injury free run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Off The Ball said he has played 40 minutes for Leinster this season. Yeah that would be a good start. But if he has loads of potential then you'd probably prefer a bit more than normal, solid play. Ross is a normal, solid player and nobody raves about him when he plays a few solid games.

I think we're saying pretty much the same thing but i would add the HB needs to start fulfilling his potential at some point. At some point, potential unrealised can be described as hype. He needs to make sure he delivers on his potential at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

With the pack Leinster have picked. HB is likely to get as much ball as he wants, on a plate. With the backline Leinster have selected also, if he can't shine tomorrow night, when is he going to do it?

At 22 years of age he will hopefully have plenty of years to deliver on his potential and that should be great for Leinster & Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Others are right. He doesn’t need to shine. He needs to just play well enough to show he can take on board the feedback he’s almost certainly been given. Not every game is an audition for first choice selection. I’d wager very few actually are. Harry Byrne has gotten feck all game time in the last 12 months. Right now he just needs to settle into the role a bit. People painting this as a Carty vs Byrne match-up need to settle down. Byrne isn’t going to magically become the saviour overnight. He has lessons to learn like any player and he needs game time to learn them. We shouldn’t be comparing him directly to a player at a totally different stage in his career.

He has 26 apps for Leinster this is his 3rd season, he will be 23 in April. Paddy Jackson was playing for Ireland at 21 similar hype at under 20s. Ross Byrne was starting more games at 21 than Harry. It is about time he started delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

he has been injured and had Sexton and his brother ahead of him.

Hence as we have all said he needs to now get ahead of his brother at Leinster if he is to further his Irish ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He'd want a much better game than his previous few outings. Only so long a good Club will wait for obvious talent to translate to the pitch.

Injury was the bigger issue, he has a run of bad luck with injuries, either pulling up in warm up or getting knocked out early in games

Yeah i agree with that. There will come a point when he has to deliver on the potential, that's all. He's training away with Leinster and Ireland and learning all the time. It's just worth remembering that at this point he's just a player whose been identified as having a lot of potential and little else. I certainly hope he fulfils the potential but it's important to remember that he hasn't actually fulfilled it yet.

• Advertisement

I never compared him to Carty, I was just referring to Byrne needing to step up. He has an international pack that should put the ball on a plate for him tomorrow night. He has an international backline around him to create with. Honestly, if he's going to live up to the hype, he does need to perform when he has those huge advantages. He could be playing behind a beaten pack on a wet night in Llanelli, he might get a pass then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think HB has to show some good form this week. If he doesn't go well, he might get yanked early. He does need the minutes and a good outing will do him a world of good!

I wonder what RB is thinking? If Harry goes well and usurps him, would he be content as a career back up?

In reality even if he is second choice at Leinster what options are more attractive?

Especially if Harry is playing for Ireland and not available for long parts of the season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sexton is often considered a late bloomer and yet he was the primary 10 in our 07-08 Magners League winning season at the age of 22.

Harry Byrne has plenty of time, but he'd equally want to start getting a bit of a move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I would be very surprised if Cullen "yanked" Byrne early.

I think people have lost perspective a bit here. Harry Byrne has been limited to a couple of 20 minute cameos this season, it's no basis for judging him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I can't make the match tomorrow,if anyone wants my tickets?

Yeah no way they'll yank him unless he was spectacularly bad and he's never been bad. I'd saybtheyll give him some time and he'll get a few games while sexton is out. I'd say the time will be shared pretty evenly between Harry and Ross until sexton is back. Ross will probably play more minutes in the Heineken Cup games but Harry will get some minutes in those games and he'll probably start more of the URC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah he’s not going to live up to the hype any time soon in fairness to him. The hype is pretty serious and he just hasn’t had the time under his belt to get to that level yet. What he needs now is a solid performance. A decent 6 or 7 out of 10 would be fine. He does need to start to put it all together over the next 12 months, but he doesn’t need to do it tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Agreed, sorry if it came across as he has to light it up and be brilliant. But if he has a poor game despite having an international team around him you'd have to wonder. (And from a purely selfish Connacht perspective, I wouldn't be too upset 😉)

Advertisement