Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Glad I saw this as I got my Fritzbox 7530 on Friday and was wondering about the coverage it gives.

At present we have a Vodafone router B528 and a TP LINK RE 200 repeater

Speeds are variable to say the least depending on time of day etc

Dwelling is a 1980's bungalow with solid block interior walls.

Did you position the 7530 centrally and use repeaters on the periphery?

I know its hard to gauge but what sort of distance is the signal travelling from the modem?

Any help is appreciated as my install is Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Routers at the extreme end of the house (bungalow) because of how the cable had to be brought in. Have a single 5G booster about 50 feet from the router in the centre of the house and have coverage through it’s entirety with that.

Thanks so much for the info.

I think my router is going to have to be at one end of the house too...the RE200 will be about 30 feet away in centre of house.

Am I right in thinking that fibre is much more stable and stronger and I should be well covered with my set up?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Fibre has no effect, good bad or indifferent, on the quality of WiFi coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's a common misconception. Think of your broadband connection as the road that leads to your housing estate, and your WiFi network as the roads in the estate. If the estate's roads are narrow and full of potholes, it will take a long time for traffic from the estate to get to the main road, especially those houses that are furthest from the road.

Installing fibre is like building a motorway to the estate entrance. The houses at the far end of the estate won't benefit in any meaningful way until the roads in the estate are widened and resurfaced (improved WiFi coverage in the house).

Like all analogies it's brittle, but hopefully you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Roscommon DA. Some houses on the N61 show "Ready to Connect" status with a tick on them. Seems that some places are now live, still in pre-order status here on the N63.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I am west of Roscommon (Between N60 and N63) with an install schechuled with Digiweb this Friday, but no sign of my router yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Installation day. Well not quite.

As the house has external insulation and the cable would come from a pole across the road it can't go ahead. It can't just attach to where the copper line is in case it's snagged by something where it crosses the road and rips half the fascia off the house. There's no anchor point available and they're not allowed to drill through the external insulation. I'll need to have another pole erected behind the house and then run a duct. Ugh.

Looks like it'll be in the new year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Jesus, do they not ask questions like that (do you have external insulation) before they come out? That's a balls @Pique but you'll get there. I would have imagined the fibre would snap a lot sooner than it would rip the insulation off the wall, but not worth taking the risk I suppose.

@Pique That's not great news at all. Sorry to hear that. Actavo is back outside the house this afternoon, so no sign of going live here for a while I think. (Roscommon DA - N63)

Yeah it's a bit of a balls but it is what it is. I've a plan to avoid the extra pole and just run ducting from the other side of the road (boreen) to the house but it'll take time to get my mate with the digger.

Something for others with external insulation to be aware of though. Unless you have an anchor point they can use at roof level, you'd better have a duct in place. And you'd better have some vent or something that the fibre can get into your house too (if you're not putting it into the attic) cos they ain't drilling through the insulation.

Post edited by Pique on

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭mun1

Installation started this morning on my house (co Limerick). Fibre ran in to house from pole using eir duct .going a bit slow but I’m sure it will be done by days end

Bit of movement in the Tipperary DA the last few days on the Emly Rd (R515). 4-5 TLI vans installing DPs on the poles. Hopefully we'll stay on track for the Dec-Feb go-live range.

Lads!!!!

My install is booked for this Saturday and reading some of these posts is making me "Jittery"

My designated pole has copper phone wire running from it to the house

However we ditched use of the landline eons ago

I'll keep ya updated incase my story on Saturday helps others

There at last !

install completed today. Hope pictures show up ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Congrats mun1 !!!

My install is Friday and also getting nervous of it completing. I hoping they will run fibre from duct of outside of house to the far end of house

500 MB from Digiweb

• Advertisement

Well well,KN Networks rang at 5:30pm to cancel my installation for the THIRD TIME!

Now moved from Saturday to Tuesday the 7th December but I fully expect a call Friday or Monday pushing it back again.

Am I the only one getting my installation cancelled time after time?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Oh thank god I was waiting to see "Mar-May" appear on the site any day. We had tons of activity near Monard then just nothing the last month or so. Hopefully, I'll see them installing DPs around here soon then.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Noticed today that a crew called Defusion Utility Services have gone around and replaced a load of the old telephone poles in the surrounding areas around the Portlaoise DA. We’re still down as Survey Underway on the NBI site with a target date of Oct-Dec 2022. So I’m wondering if this pole replacement is actually part of the NBI rollout or simply part of EIRs regular maintenance.

Anyone know if this Defusion crew are contractors linked to the NBI rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

I've seen Defusion working with KN for NBI around here yes.

I actually live on the road from monard up to Ballinard cross, so I'm hoping they'll keep coming my direction. They had started putting the DPs on the road from shronell cross that goes to Ballinard cross today so they're getting closer, but I suspect I'm on a different "spoke" out from the town (likely same spoke as yourself)

for info I had a morning install and he arrived at 9:30,

got the fibre cable ran in and up the pole by 1130.

but then things slowed down big time

but of an issue with the terminations and fibre cable which took until 2pm to sort out .

a more experienced installer called to resolve the issues

the software verification and fibre quality end to end process went very quickly with NBI and then digiweb , so everything sorted by 3pm

id say his PM Appointment went by the wayside and someone was left disappointed

Well...mines gone by the wayside 3 times now LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The DP's in my area were installed in July/August but recently ICL seem to be going around revisiting all of them again in the last week, still no sign of them moving to pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Ffs!!

I'm on in the morning, yiu might remember that I said the duct(or lack of) going from my box on gable to attic is non existent, I'm hoping we can come out of box and run up externally to attic.

I'm hoping that the install guy will do this due to me having the fibre already pulled from manhole on road to box on gable!!!

Time will tell I guess, roll on tomorrow

• Advertisement

I'd run and get some trunking and those auger-type screws for attaching things to external insulation like these https://www.masonryfixings.ie/insulation-anchors-fid

The KN lad said they don't even put ladders against external insulation out of fear of damage and being sued. So you might have to do that yourself if possible and feed the fibre through the trunking and attach it to the wall properly after it's all hooked up inside.

Advertisement