Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Irish EV sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree Lorenzo, and probably more the latter 2 than the former even.

There's a clear divide between north and south. Anytime I'm south of the city (and I do be around Nutgrove area quite a bit) there's EVs everywhere, and nice ones at that - Tesla, Etron etc. The northside has much fewer and usually leafs etc. Lots of EV taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Im not surprised take up is low… Im looking for one myself but am bamboozled with the number of things to watch out for.

- as soon as I think I have my list another thing like plug compatibility above gets added.

Leaf was on my list of possibles - seems an ideal starter ev car - nice to drive and not so expensive...

…or can anyone recommend a cheat sheet, or another thread here, with suggestions of what i need consider. Or what car to look out for

(Milage of 150km+ range- used is ok- 20k euros aprox budget ideal, lots gadgets nice).

ta.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Hyundai ioniq. Should get 150km all year (motorways might be pushing it). Should be able to get 2017 versions for 15k, and they're full of tech for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

National average is 0.4% with the caveat that 2016 census has 4.7M population although I saw reports we're above 5M. I didn't find any source with pop by county up to date. So it could be lower. We are missing the imports and commercials which could raise the figures a bit.

44% of the whole 19k BEVs were registered this year. Which means the EV lot nearly doubled in a year. If the trend continues we would see 15k more next year. Are we ready for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Think you're missing some on your filter. Birdhill, Cork, Tralee, actually maybe all the Tesla Superchargers i.e. the biggest HPC network in the country 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ah yes, I forgot ABRP is smart enough not to show superchargers when I select a non Tesla 😅

Still a pretty sizable black hole for chargers even with the supercharger network factored in

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

"The shift towards electric vehicles has been outpaced by the shift towards SUVs and the IEA says there would be need to be twice as many EVs on the road as there is now to offset the rise in emissions caused by the growth in popularity of SUVs.

Electric SUVs are becoming more popular and in 2021, around 55% of the electric car models on the market were SUVs, up from 45% two years ago. For the first time ever, the electrification ratio of SUVs matches the electrification ratio of non-SUV cars. In both the United States and the European Union, e-SUVs are expected to account for more than 55% of all electric car sales in 2021."

Any idea how many SUVs vs Electric SUVs sold in Ireland in 2021?

Will EV sales in Ireland hit 10,000 for 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

How are they defining a SUV? Toyota call the Yaris Cross a SUV, I call it a big Yaris

Not a hope. 1500 in December is required. Highest sales were July with 1800 and March when the id4 arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

Highly recommend a hyundai ioniq as a starter electric, great unlimited 5 year mileage warranty from new, never had an issue with it. There might be some privately sold hyundai 64kw kona ev mid twenty price range if you are lucky, great car, a little smaller though than the ioniq in back and boot but fantastic range. I was getting 190 km range in winter and 240 in summer with moderate driving (<100km/hr) for ioniq, kona is giving 400 in winter and 450 in summer, obviously if you do a lot of 120km/hr motorway drives, this will affect stated ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

How have 2nd hand values been holding up on the kona and e-Niro versus their ICE siblings? they were a big hit when they came out

Cheapest 2019 Kona Ev is 29k, vs 38k new. 24% depreciation.

Cheapest 2019 Kona petrol is 19k, vs 26k new. 27% depreciation.

Thanks for that - basically identical, assuming both cars had similar miles. a concern with early EV’s was always going to be the speed of iteration with the tech and range, and that seems to be exactly what is happening.

The ‘new’ base model 3 is a great example. the initial version was the best EV of its day and very future-proofed, but now the same car has been made better underneath, but still costs about the same, (and it makes the LR seem expensive now too). In future when you’re buying a 2nd hand M3, the older version of the same car will be harder to sell - like selling a pre ‘08 520d versus a 520d from July ‘08 onwards. Same same, but actually very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Am I right in saying that since the Green Party have been in government, the grants on EVs have been reduced (now only available for cars under 60k)

and the zero BIK on company EVs is being phased out? Have they replaced these with something else?

I think they said that the zero BIK rate was only temporary as the price of EVs was expected to fall. But the price is only going up as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Hopefully; doling out scarce dosh to people who can afford 60k cars and extra benefit to company directors who virtue signal (and trade up) with an EV is a bad joke - the OEMs are just laughing and shoving up the prices anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

supply can’t keep up with demand. So no need for subsidies at that level.

Apparently in the early 00’s when the Silicon Valley guys were all virtue signalling by driving around in $20k Prius’s, Jay Leno (I think it was) said that the first guy to make these guys a $100k sedan will make a fortune 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jay Leno is such a class guy. It is intelligent, open minded, forward thinking lads like him WITH A BIG AUDIENCE that move things on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

A total of 8,646 new electric cars were registered in 2021, an increase on the 4,013 registrations seen in 2020 and 3,444 in 2019.

• Advertisement

If supply can keep up with demand, it could double again. Hard to see it with all the shortages going on though.

Not sure what the highly anticipated EV of 2022 is going to be either. Ariya likely going to be big money. Model y too. Audi and BMW will be high priced and limited sales as a result. EV6 looks the best of the bunch in terms of sales power. Citron Ami if it comes here might sell a few, but there's no Id3 or ID4 equivalent I can see. Yet.

Id3 has had its big push. ID4 prices are only going up, and slow to get hold of one. Enyaq never got the numbers in Ireland and like the ID4 it can't be gotten hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Will Seat have supply this year. Running the MEB platform

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The electric Mégane will be a big seller I'd imagine but any delays and it won't hit 2022 in any sort of numbers.

I'd love to see a Polo sized ID car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've my order in for the new MG ZS EV. It should be here in Feb, first time ever buying a new car. I gave up the hopes of getting my model S with 7 seats. Used prices went a bit silly and for the money (€35k) I'd be getting an end if warranty model rather than a new MG with a full 7 years peace if mind.

I think if MG can get enough shipped they will be in the top 5 this year. If you look at something as simple as the interest in it based on views on EV review channels like Noby or EV Ireland the MG videos perform well above the average. Noby's at 41,000 and EV Ireland at 21,000 views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

the figures are in. Very weak numbers overall with only 387 cars sold in December out of which 118 are EVs (30.5%).

Fun fact Tesla is the best sold brand taking Toyota by 3 and Model3 is also the best sold car taking Toyota's Corolla by 30 units. In rest figures for December are uninteresting

For the whole year were registered 8646 EVs 115% increase from 2020 and representing 8.24% market share. The top 10 EV brands looks like:

While we can say it was a good year as diesel dropped by 8.23% compared to 2020 I must draw attention to HEVs which increased by nearly 7k units and in my opinion this is a failure to address the climate change issue. The year 2022 will be the year where we will visible fall behind our EU neighbors even if the market share it is going to double.

So more EVs were sold in 2021 than 2020+2019 combined, plus more.

More EVs than PHEVs, and a roughly 1:2 ratio of EV to HEV. Given the amount of greenwashing and toyota self charging advertising I think that 1:2 is actually quite impressive and set to rise again next year. I agree with the prior poster who said it could double in 2022 from 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Id3 has had its big push.

Isnt that a bit like saying the "Golf has had its big push" yet its still selling ~2300 a year.

The ID.3 and ID.4 sold 1271 and 1432 respectively. I'd expect both of those figures to go up either by robbing Golf and Tiguan sales or by robbing sales from other manufacturers. VW is up for the year overall so the latter is possible.

ID4 prices are only going up

True. Healthy sales though. Its outselling ID.3. Lets hope VW can meet demand and move the ID cars to their top 3 (5th and 6th right now).

Ariya likely going to be big money

Nissan really need to do something quick or they are toast. The top 3 or 4 sellers in this country have had consistent enough sales over the last 3 or 4 years (11-13k units). Nissan were selling ~12k units a few years ago and are now down to <5k for the year (60% drop in sales!!!).... that has gotta be hurting their bottomline. Ford are in the same boat, down about 50% over the last few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surprised to see Nissan perform so well against better EV competitors, zero finance obviously did the trick

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A lot of built up brand loyalty from previous generation Leaf owners who just wanted something newer / with more range so the new model Leaf was the obvious choice. Also it was one of the few EVs that were widely available last year and reasonable value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Add to that the Leaf has virtually it's own semi-private fast charging network courtesy of ESB eCars.

50% of every eCars fast charging site (with the exception of Mayfield) is exclusively for the Nissan Leaf (And Tesla Model S by way of the adaptor).

So it makes absolute sense to be buying a Leaf these days!!

Advertisement