Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Trees

• 26-11-2020 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭

Lidl today. An Irish-grown tree, over 7' high. Nicely filled out....€25.
    IIRC I paid €60 last year for similar in Woodies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

i know we should by locally sourced products, but as far as the trees go- i'll buy one from extensive forests in northern europe and save the trees from ireland .
    We need more trees on the island...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

go4it wrote: »
    i know we should by locally sourced products, but as far as the trees go- i'll buy one from extensive forests in northern europe and save the trees from ireland .
    If that's your concern, surely getting a reusable tree is the way to go rather than cutting down a tree every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Christmas trees are grown as a commercial crop in Ireland and Europe and not grown as part of forestry. For every Christmas tree harvested another one will be replanted next year. Buy here and at least the air miles are minimised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Ive got the Lidl trees in previous years been happy with them, where are they sourced? I never thought they would of been imported?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Doop wrote: »
    Ive got the Lidl trees in previous years been happy with them, where are they sourced? I never thought they would of been imported?

I got a Lidl one yesterday. I think they are grown in Wicklow.

Edit, grown in Wicklow, Tipperary and Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Ikea have the usual tree for €30 with ikea voucher worth €15:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/stores/a-christmas-tree-that-comes-with-a-gift-pubb0d403b6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Doop wrote: »

Acutally its pretty clear they are Irish grown... bit of a non issue so...

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/plants-flowers/real-irish-grown-christmas-tree-6ft/p55353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Just nabbed one from Lidl Dundrum. Only a 6 footer but great quality tree! Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I called our local Lidl and they said they sold out in an hour. Not expecting more in until tomorrow so I'll need to get one somewhere else in time for the toy show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lidl Coolock had about 4 when I was there an hour ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

IIRC the IKEA trees are imported. For this reason I wouldn't buy one, though I believe they're good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

the corpo wrote: »
    Just nabbed one from Lidl Dundrum. Only a 6 footer but great quality tree! Thanks OP!

I was a bit nervous getting one in Lidl because they were pre netted (I always like to check the symmetry and density etc) then I thought come on its twenty five quid take a chance. Opened it up this eve and it's fab :) The perfect tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Hi just seeing same trees in stock again now.

Could any of you who bought one last year tell me are these trees non-shedding please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Ah, I can't guarantee they're non shed but from memory last years bunch were. I *think*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lidl trees are grand, got ours there last year and this, Irish grown too, whats not to like.

They shed a bit as do all real trees, helps if you keep them in water, we have one of those green plastic tree holders with a kind of bucket space below which we keep topped up. I put tomato feed into mine too, maybe it helps ?

My mother always gets them on spikes and her floor is covered every year in sheddings compared to ours.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Christmas trees are planted as a crop and the land is always replanted with more trees. Possibly the most sustainable way of having a tree rather than have one travel hundreds of miles across the seas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Okay great thanks for replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Picked up a tree in Lidl for €26.99. Irish-grown.

Again this year, we removed the netting and out came a lovely tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Just for the record we put up the tree this year in time for the Toy Show - a  Lidl tree for €24.99. Looked fine for a few days but the spindles are all falling off. Half is now bare. Buying a new one is a bit of a pain but nothing compared to taking down the first one and putting up the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

We got a Lidl tree last year and it was fantastic. Just got one for this year today and put it up, and while it looks and smells great and is a nice shape, we've noticed that the needles are shedding much more than it did last year. So looks like we might have to do the same as you donal. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Update on this, in case anyone was wondering... The shedding was a bit of a false alarm for us. I think the tree was just a bit drier than last year. It took a lot of water in the first couple of days, and then the shedding more or less stopped. The tree has been great since then, looks brilliant.

Advertisement