Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

You trying to defend a nasty point of view you put across ... I'd suggest stepping away from the keyboard for a while.

my kids are wearing masks and minding themselves so my 80 year old mother is at less of a risk when I go to visit her in the nursing home and I hope to be able to have her company for a few years to come not for her to be a sacrificial lamb so my kid won't have to stick a mask on for a few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That's you're families choice , my mother is mid seventies, she made the decision not to avoid her grandkids

You want kids to wear a face Shield so those in their eighties live longer ,that's selfish of you in my view ,do it if you want but don't expect my kids to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Vaccination and boosters are supposed to mean there aren’t any ‘sacrificial’ lambs, why should the kids suffer?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am not judging you but just a question that interests me . Does your mother agree with your decision or do you think she would agree with you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

For Christ sake. Have people really lost the run of themselves this much? Seriously? Complaining and whinging about the introduction of a measure that is PROVEN to mitigate spread. Which is better for the whole community!

Spread puts pressure on hospitals, increases the chances of people catching the disease, increases the chances of new variants emerging and increases the chances of more **** restrictions. Cop on.

The vast majority of kids will be absolutely fine wearing masks and allowances can be made for those that can't. Stop being bloody contrary for the sake of it and focus your energy on doing something that would actually help children/schools etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id agree with the idea , we have to get away from this idea that every death is one too many, unfortunately we all end up dead in the end , theres no escape. time to live our lives to the max, thats what living with covid is about. we wont have a huge amount of deaths at this stage, all were doing is saving health sysytem thats not citizens job

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Every thread now reads like the conspiracy or anti-everything threads. Getting worse by the day. Unreadable most of the time. Not even funny to laugh at the loons anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Trampas

The vast majority of people who don’t want kids wearing masks is their parents. Kids probably won’t care if their parents didn’t make such a song and dance about it.

If they don’t want to wear a mask in school then why bother doing homework or wear a uniform or whatever other rule the school have

My mother was a nurse her whole life and for the last 20 years of her career she worked in an ICU setting .. so yes she does support the notion of doing anything that keeps people out of ICU

• Advertisement

My kids see their grandchildren .. antigen tests are handy along with general day to day doing what you can to decrease the chances of passing on the virus ... it's not a binary choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

No I don't send every penny of my disposable income to Africa. The comparison you are trying to make is really really poor. Donating all of my disposable income is not comparable to being asked to wear a mask in school.

According to you, your child shouldn't wear a mask, just to suit an 80 year old, yet by making that comment you expect that a teacher would put themselves at higher risk in the classroom, just to suit your child.

What is so special about your child that they should be considered in spite of not considering anyone themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You could use antigen tests before visiting your mum if you are that concerned . Better than asking very small children to use masks in their daily life

Not all rules are sound ,only an unthinking fool unconditionally follows rules

Teachers are not at risk from kids ,not enough risk to warrant this

The point about Africa ( which you appear to have misunderstood) was designed to show that contrary to the pious claims of mask enthusiasts, we don't do everything possible to extend the lives of others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Only an idiot objects to proven safety measures being introduced.

I didn't misunderstand your point. Either you misunderstand the role of masks or else you have been swept up in the hype ...

Your child wearing a mask is not going to save Ireland's 85year olds. That is not why they are being asked to wear them.

Your child is being asked to wear a mask to prevent the teacher becoming a close contact in the event of there being a covid case in the classroom. The level of risk to their health comes not into it. If you are a close contact of a positive case, you must isolate for 10 days, regardless of vaccination status.

I am a second level teacher. I have had students in my classroom test positive. Because we are wearing masks I am not deemed a close contact and I can continue to show up and the school can continue to stay open.

If we are going to have a conveyor belt of teachers isolating due to being close contacts, the schools are not going to be able to stay open.

I do use antigen tests .. but I want to visit her and the less risk we as as a family of getting the virus means the more I can see of her

i will reiterate .. my kids have no issue what so ever with masks .. at 9 and 12 years old it just isn't a big deal

banning cars is a sure fire way of eliminating road deaths so presumably we must bring in such a safety measure without delay ?

kids have a far higher chance of being killed in a car crash than dieing from covid

then the policy of isolating for ten days in the event of being a close contact needs to be scrapped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

A parent-teacher meeting with some people on this forum would be quality entertainment.

Well, it had been done away with up until about two or three weeks ago when cases started to rise again. There was talk at the time of teachers being exempt from the isolating. It was apparently reported that they were exempt from it but that mention was quickly removed from the rte website and then it was confirmed that teachers wouldn't be exempt and would also have to isolate for 10 days if they became close contacts.

I would imagine that it was probably initially intended that teachers would be exempt from that rule, but under pressure about how that might look, they had to change their minds.

Another way this 'isolate for 10 days rule' becomes a drain on staff numbers is when a teacher's child tests positive. They are then out for 10 days to isolate for that.

So ... between those two scenarios, I'm guessing that they came up with the conclusion that the best (ie: cheapest) option was to mask the children.

As a vaccinated, second level teacher, I would be happy for the 10 day isolation for close contacts to be removed from secondary school settings because of the masks. It effectively has been removed because of the presence of masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The place is gone to the dogs tbh. Posters constantly abusing people in the media, politicians, members of NPHET, name calling etc...

No excuse for it tbh.

its absolutely ghastly that kids must be masked in order to provide cover for incompetent politicians who in a time of unprecedented crisis ( you know the time when extrordinary measure can be got through ) could not improve ICU and hospital capacity in general

kids are now the scapegoats and it appears most cheer it on

for shame

They said the same about lockdown, that worked well didn’t it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

I agree with you that kids are paying the price for adults’ incompetence but I would lay the blame at the door of certain NPHET members who are ignoring the experts in measures such as improved ventilation. Even Luke O’Neill, generally optimistic, was shaking his head in disbelief today on Newstalk with Pat Kenny, there’s a clip online somewhere. He clearly believes, as do so many others, that ventilation should have been addressed long before masks were considered. MM and SD and NF and the rest just parrot off the ‘Public Health advice tells us’ line ad nauseum, and in a way you can see why, they have no personal expertise in these areas. They need something to hang their hat on. It’s just unfortunate that some of those whose opinions they follow seem to have a blank spot around ventilation. The worrying thing is that this points to certain members of NPHET and AMRIC not having accepted the international consensus that Covid 19 is an airborne disease with aerosol transmission. This has serious implications for all of their recommendations to government.

The bottom line here is, air filters for every classroom would cost the government about 12 million. Parents pay for masks.

As an aside, last night the government voted to give 17 million in funding to the Greyhound racing industry.

government would prefer spend money topping up the state pension or other cheap exercises in vote harvesting , as usual in this country , the young are the least important and the population are fine with it

parents should take to the streets and demand that filters are installed in every school in the country , seeing as opposing masks isnt respectable

other poster said " no one objects to proven safety measures "

making driving illegal is a sure fire way to prevent death , all death should be prevented , covid has taught us this understood principle

• Advertisement

I don't see how, this thread is all about risk, crossing the road outside the school has a far greater risk of serious injury and death than Covid would to a primary schooler - banning cars must be the conclusion so if risk minimisation is the goal.

Advertisement