Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

For those of us lucky to collect in the New Year, I've been keeping an eye on the UK forums to see what common issues are cropping up. Key callouts to ask the dealer prior to getting the keys are:

• Both low and high beams focused correctly (this is why in Bjorn's video he says the lights are not great)
    • 12V battery charged. Numerous reports of people going out to their cars in the morning and they're dead (but actual EV battery charged)
    • All recalls completed. Currently there's three; MCU, BMS and LKA

If there's any more common themes I'll reply to this and add them. Happy I5 motoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Spotted on the limerick to Galway motorway so suspect they could be shipping in via cork port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

The issue with 12V battery has been around since the days of the Ioniq 28 which came out in 2016, you would think it would it would be an easy software fix but there must be more to it as the same issue has been reported in some VW evs.

One of the guys at work has a Kona and the app seems to work fine for him, he is able to preheat in the mornings without issue so hopefully it will work as well in the I5.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Do we get a subscription to Ionity with the Ioniq 5 like you do with the Kia Ev6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You can do updates yourself. I have no idea if OTA updates are going to be available in future, but you can download them to USB yourself to update the car.

I don't know if there is a Hyundai version of this page, but the Kia updater which recently became available is here

It's literally the same updater software for Hyundai, Kia and Genesis. You just select which brand you want in the settings. I've checked and there is an update file for Ioniq 5 available through it.

The updates you are talking about are for maps and the infotainment system only.

Any firmware or software updates for the car itself still have to be done at the dealer, but apparently the 2023 cars will be of capable OTA updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭aferru

According to this video the current I5 can only do infotainment OTA updates. New I5 (apparently any one in production after February 2022?) will do everything via OTA and it will have bigger battery (same as EV6). Worth the wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Anyone waiting on a Jan delivery, your car is most likely on this ship. It means we should start seeing them land into dealers showrooms the week after next potentially. Hopefully our friend Brian Doolan does another comparison video 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

EDITED: See that's what I thought. The dealer insisted I was driving the premium executive plus 58kWh. But it had the leather seats and all the other stuff we now now is unique to the Premium model.

I'm pretty just I test drove the Premium 58kWh. This was in September.

Post edited by marc1 on

• Advertisement

Was there a 3 pin socket in the back, full vision roof and surround view cameras? If not it was the premium you drove.

Actually sorry even more obvious if it was 58kwh it could have been premium plus.

Premium Plus doesn't come in 58kwh. Only the bigger 73kwh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

My bad, I mixed things up. The dealer insisted I was driving the Executive Plus. But I'm certain it was the Premium.

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

I’d love to know if this is true. There was an article a few weeks ago about the bigger battery but no concrete info. Has anyone heard anything from the dealers? I mentioned it to my dealer and he said he knew nothing about a bigger battery version coming. I’d happily wait 1-2 months longer for the bigger battery version.

There'll be battery improvements always as is evolving technology. So you could stay delaying again. Similar in a way to the fuel efficiency and emissions improvements in ICE's. But of course not to the same degree. I would say you'd expect price increases also with that.

I doubt the dealer would say either as they just want to fill order books, secure stock and sell. But saying that there are sound dealers out there too.

True! My hope was that they were going to add the two extra battery modules from 30 to 32 (73kWh to 78kWh) for free 🤣

Ha good luck with getting that from a company who doesn't even give us a sniff of a discount on the charging network they part-own 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Summer2020

From what I've read online there'll be a 1,500 or so increase for new orders from next week or so. Probably to do with the slightly increased battery capacity.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Sorry no. It wasn't an article, just an ioniq forum. There was discussion about the new updates supposedly for models built from March onwards

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/ioniq-5-model-year-2023.38712/

Thanks! Interesting read.

I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago so I’m guessing it will be built pre-February. If the option of a bigger battery is made available in the next few weeks, I’m going to try and cancel the existing order and re-order. I’m assuming that there’s no penalty as I’ll be re-ordering? The extra battery would be handy on the premium plus with the 20” wheels and vision roof (apparently adds a good bit of weight).

Looks a few days behind docking in Spain I'd say that won't improve with storm Barra on the way. Do you have an up dated date for arrival in Dublin. I'm too cheap to pay the subscription fee.

Yeah, it was a full two days waiting to dock in Spain. It's another stop in Morocco before going direct to Dublin.

EUKOR is showing a arrival in Dublin of the 13th. That date does seem to change to reflect updated schedules, it was previously the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Went and viewed Exec Plus today, and sat in the premium in the showroom also as comparison Thoughts below:

In general, inside it feels very similar to the Premium. The touchpoints are all basically identical up the front. The half leather seats actually do look ok in person, but the non leather material does feel a bit cheap, however I think they were going for a material very easy to clean and I think it would be.

This particular version was in Cyber Grey, and it was GORGEOUS. I was always dead set on the white but the advantage with the Cyber Grey is that it almost matches the grey on the seats in the interior, giving the whole car a very uniform feeling. I would goo as far as to say I'm jealous if you are picking up a Cyber Grey in Jan.

There was 2 premiums (Black and Lucid Blue) in the showroom, and the Cyber Grey Exec looks MILES better on the outside than both of them. Something about the Black makes it feel more like a sport/aggressive SUV type finish. I imagine the dealers have had lots of people with Premiums ask if they can get the black trim instead.

The Manual handles is a disappointment yes but it isn't really making it any more difficult or time consuming to get into the car, so You can forgive it.

The Lights in the arm rests and surrounding the speakers is really the only bitter pill you miss out on that you have to just swallow.

I'm cracking on with my Exec+ order anyway, as what you gain on the inside with a premium you lose on the outside, as well as €4k. So pulling strings on everything now and picking up Jan 5th.

Cyber grey Exec is what I have ordered , I'm good at picking cars I haven't even seen😁.

Getting excited now , just hope that transport ship doesn't get lost in the storm.

I see she is moving again!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

quick question on charging the Ioniq, seems we have to live off public chargers for few months at least (not by choice though!). I have been reading lot of posts here and FB and below is my take

1) CCS combo - First go for this if available, charge for 45 minutes only in one go as a responsible citizen. Hyundai website claims to charge 80% under 45 mins 

2) If CCS is not available, use Type 2 - 22KW - This may take ~5 hours to charge and may not be ideal for city travel

3) AC43 - 43KW - is this an option for Ioniq? Can i use this if 1) and 2) are not available? I read it may draw only 7KW for unsupported ones and better to leave it for supported EVs

All in one, ideally Option 1 is preferable - but have only 1 nearby my place, hence seeking inputs if missed any points. Also, can we use Ioniq 400/800V infrastructure in Ireland?

Thanks

Re CCS, yes it is the fastest, the only chargers that can really take advantage of the Hyundai high speed charging are owned by Ionity but there are only a handful of these sites in the country and they are expensive.

The ESB units can charge upto 180 kW but again there are only a handful of these in the country and it not recommended to use Rapid CCS all the time as it may affect battery health.

Type 2 and AC43 are essentially the same thing but the max your I5 can draw from these is 11 kW so you so you are looking at 5+ hours charging, AC is considered better for your battery.

In terms of cost, the higher speed chargers are more expensive and the AC destination chargers are cheapest.

The other option to consider is using a granny cable that you can plug into any 3 pin socket, the only downside is its very slow 2kW. This usually is the first choice for people that haven't got their own chargepoint yet.

Is their any option to install an external socket where you work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Was just going to reply but denismc got there first😊. Agree with what said, but wouldn't worry too much with fast charging, the cars' BMS will look after it, especially if not always charging to 100%. Also the Granny charger is very handy, we were without a home charge point for 10 weeks earlier in year (Zappi blew up!!😀) and replacement got stuck in customs thanks to Brexit. Still managed with two EVs, with the odd public charge and alternate nights on granny. Wasn't too much inconvenience, but glad when Zappi replaced. With one EV in the family you could comfortably manage average or above average mileage with just the granny.

Advertisement