Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

More apartments being built rather than houses is an odd anomaly 🙄

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

If the method will not change to calculate household size, I would be willing to bet that household size has increased since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Hmm. Do you mean the population increased by 47k each year between 2011 and 2021? If it is an average of 2.5 per household that would mean we should have been building 18k units a year presuming no houses lost to dereliction etc and that in 2011 supply had met supply. Obviously 18k is not enough given we lose houses to dereliction and that household size should will slightly further. But 30k units would be enough a year to take into account Ireland's natural population increase and a net immigration of between 25-30k per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,666 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Apartment goes briefly over one-off houses, but never comes close to estate houses ("scheme") there.

OK I may have worded it incorrectly by saying more apartments than houses were built.... what I was trying to say is that more apartments as a % of housing stock were built after the 2016 census which should drive down the no of people per housing unit.

Worded it incorrectly putting it mildly I would think.

so approximately 1000 new apartments built in 2016 rising to approximately 4000 in 2020 versus approx 8500 houses in 2016 rising to approx 16,500 houses in 2020.

so that is a relative outperformance of apartments as a % of new build stock going from 12% to 17%.

and you think this 5% difference in new build stock is going to cause the average household size, calculated over the entire housing stock and population, to drop from 2.75 to 2.5?!

LOL indeed. I think that is the biggest straw I’ve seen you clutch at yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Mentioning Avant and their rates makes it sound like it's great for the mortgage market in Ireland when it does nothing for the average mortgage holder/first time buyer.

Their good rates are only for those with 60% LTV, i.e those who have many years of their mortgage paid (essentially people who already have seen a huge increase in their property value and thus had lower capital cost than those buying today while still benefitting from increasing wages)

It's a bit like saying people will be able get cheaper car services in Ireland with a new provider yet it turns out it's only for those owning BMWs and Mercs who are doing great without the cheaper car service.

• Advertisement

I have held my hands up and said that I worded it incorrectly by saying more apartments are being built than houses.

You are putting words in my mouth....Where did I say that it fall from 2.75 to 2.5.... All I said is that it is projected to drop over time and the 2.75 figure was from 2016 and one of the factors is that more apartments are being built as a % of housing stock. Go back and read what I said...before you accuse me of clutching at straws for something I never said.

A simple calculation based on the figure of housing stock you shared earlier divided by the population gives you an average of 2.4 people per housing unit. If you excluded holiday homes and vacant the figure comes to 2.6 people per housing unit. As I said earlier on lets wait and see what the census tells us next year.

Post edited by Timing belt on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I hear newstalk pushing that commentary lately and finger pointing lefties as being responsible.

Where did the term cuckoo find come from only the Irish independent, a pony from the same stable as newstalk

No issue with investment funds rather with the principle that some entity can come in here make significant profits and contribute nothing in the form of taxation to fund essential infrastructure that help derive said profits.

One would have to question why many responsible funds are steering clear of housing in Ireland purely because of the boom bust market being far too risky

The issue of data centres was also raised to push this anti business mantra. Those companies pushing for data centres have so much money they don't know what to do with it. Building a renewable power source to power the data centres would be rather beneficial, protect them from energy inflation and enhance said companies green credentials. Win win solution for everyone and companies that do real work and employ thousands won't have to worry about the capacity on the national grid

Out and out bollo*ology from the media. One would have to question whether they are paid to spout the nonsense of vested interests rather than serious debate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Do you think that high rents was mentioned in newstalk concern that Ireland was becoming anti business

No, not a squeak, lefties are the problem

These vested interests are using tried and tested methods of destroying a nation. Media and political capture a significant contributer to the last property bubble/bust

The spokesperson for the investment funds an ex politician as was the case (and continues to be) for the construction industry federation during the celtic tiger. Look at the banking and payments federation, another prominent former politician.

It's all too easy for some to pillage the country

Out and out bollo*ology from the media. One would have to question whether they are paid to spout the nonsense of vested interests rather than serious debate

Posters here often like to say current situation is not a bubble because it is very different to 07/08, but one thing that is exactly the same is the total lack of serious debate. Media are guilty of this, and presumably fuelled by what they read in the media, so are majority of Joe Public.

For example, the brief exchange here about using projected population growth and average household size to forecast future demand. This is something I have seen in the media often as well. They will trot out similiar stats about building rates not keeping pace with population increases over the last ten years, and use that to prove the point that we have a chronic supply problem, and will continue to do so unless we ramp up supply over the next ten years.

But nobody ever factors in two important considerations - 1) we had serious oversupply 10 years ago for the population growth to mop up and b) if you run the same calculations on current population size and average household size it suggests we have significant spare capacity.

This is exactly the sort of indicator, (there are loads of others), that was totally ignored in 06/07. Nobody wants to even discuss them, and if somebody raises them it is dismissed with sort of nonsense such as @Timing belt suggestion that the figures are not worth discussing, because we have built a greater number of apartments than houses since 2016.

Maybe there is a good reason to explain the figures pointing to spare capacity, but it sure as hell is not that average household size has decreased because we have built 15,000 odd apartments since 2016. That's totally ludicrous.

For whatever reason, people would rather try and argue black is white, rather than engage in serious debate. This head in the sand attitude is exactly what happened in 07/08, and if it all goes tits up people will wail "How on earth did we not see this coming?"

Yet again putting words in my mouth where did I say figures were not worth talking about??? that’s twice you have tried to misrepresent me.

You claimed that the figures I posted could be interpreted to show a deficit rather than a surplus, by using an average household size of 2.5.

I replied saying that 2.75 was the accepted average household size as per CSO, Housing Agency etc and asked you what you thought of figures using 2.75.

You did not want to even comment on that figure, instead you replied:

we will wait till we get the census data next year to see average household size as projections are that they are falling and the 2.75 figure is from 5 years ago.

Wait and see. The 2.75 figure is out of date.

To me that was a suggestion the figures I quoted were not worth talking about. Terribly sorry if you feel misrepresented.

And your latest post is just proving my point. Rather than engage in serious debate you derail it with self righteous claims of affrontery.

If I continue to engage pointing out how ludicrous it is, we go round and round in circles, and sooner or later a mod will come along and ban any talk of average household size in a property market thread. A win for those against discussing the issues from all angles.

Totally pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how do you define the average mortgage holder, because the average LTV in ireland will be around 60% or lower.

Also, from the article linked - Avant Money is offering a 3-year fixed rate of 2.20% at 90% loan to value.

Seems pretty good.

To what, the lowest rates in the market?

the fiends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The 2.5 was taken from a different poster who was using it but I think it is more accurate than 2.75 as the average household size was 2.75 in 2016 and already as early as 2018 it had dropped to 2.6 and as has been pointed out birth rates are down, death rates are up and immigration has come down and building has gone up in the 3 years since 2018 so I can conservatively say 2.5 is a much more accurate measure for household size than 2.75. https://www.housing.eolasmagazine.ie/housing-affordability-in-ireland/

Also straight away on your report so 92135 are vacant is there any explanation why, could it be that they are inhabitable as I see a lot in Dublin are vacant why would someone not have it up for rent or sale if it was in condition to be used, your losing money? It could also be a case that the infrastructure is not there to support a dwelling? Your calculation also does not take into account holiday homes which will not be used by anyone for long term rent so that's another 38791 out of stock that can be used.

So lets do the calcs again. Total amount of properties are 2,052,429 then take away the amount of housing that is unavailable to buy or rent for different reasons (holiday homes, inhabitable or no infrastructure) 130,926 = The total stock of housing available to buy or rent = 1921503 now using 2.5 as this is more accurate giving the information at hand and the latest household size given in 2018 and how the factors determining household size would bring this lower than 2.6.

1921503 * 2.5 = 4803757 or if we were in a time warp and we were still living in 2016 and it was 2.6 household size then it would be 4,995,907

Current population = 5011500

So the blind spots that neither of us know the answer for are the 92k odd houses that are empty. I cant imagine that any owner would just leave these idle for no good reason. My theory that they are either inhabitable or no infrastructure would be the most likely reason. Also why would there not be a push to get these properties into circulation if they were in a decent condition to house people? If we had nearly 100k properties in decent condition and not being used for sale or rent with the current homeless and housing rates as well as the lack of supply it would be a scandal of epic proportions for the government.

Average household size can be a complex calculation, and depending how we calculate we would get a different results.

If family of 5, has 2 homes, one in Dublin, and one in Wexford, which are not rented out. By CSO that would likely result in average household size of 5, by others it maybe 2.5 . And both may be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

3 years fixed isn't great when rates will almost certainly be higher in the next 3 years. Low for long would be my preference; especially if repayments are already at the comfort limit.

It's sickening how we get fleeced in this country. My partner's family and friends are all German and we have often had conversations about housing over there. One of the things that really gets my goat is how they can get 100% mortgages at mortgage rates fixed at comfortably less than 2% for the duration of the mortgage. They even go below 1% with their mortgage rates. Friends in their late 20s over there are all buying their homes, in complete contrast to Ireland.

Well they also have the lowest long term fixed rates if you meet the criteria, how people can spin this as a bad thing is beyond me.

they also have lower than normal variable rates if you come off fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

True throw in the different room capacity aswell. But we are talking about the average nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The article is really about who should swallow the best part of 18 months of losses, and in this case the landlord's solicitors had the better luck combing over ambitious laws. If anything I would call the government anti-business for making zero preparations for these sorts of disputes, which are the inevitable consequence of such long lockdowns.

I suspect Foot Locker may well now go into receivership, but had the dispute gone the other way Percy Nominees would be facing so many similar claims from other tenants that they could well go under themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,666 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Avant are so heavily selective that they would not be lending to people who are at their comfort limit for payments.

There's a lot in there, which I'll reply to later on when I have a bit more time. In the meantime, just wanted to say thanks for engaging in reasonable debate rather than some of the nonsense others tried. It makes for a much more interesting discussion and far less frustrating!

Right, but even Nationally applies the same logic, that families can have 2 properties, where both of them are used by the same family, but only one (principal) could be reflecting in CSO household statistics.

From what I see your focus is more towards housing stocks, which is different from what CSO consider household.

You put words in my mouth twice because you want to engage and talk about vacant properties again. which have been done to death time and time again. Rather than go down this path yet again I said we will wait and see what the average household size is the new census because I believe it is dropping and don't want to get into a debate yet again about vacant property because that is "Totally pointless"

You put words in my mouth twice because you want to engage and talk about vacant properties again.

I put words in your mouth?! And yet, despite I mentioned nothing about vacant properties, here you are telling me what I want to talk about?!!

LOL indeed. 🙄

• Advertisement

You are angling to talk about vacant properties without using the words "Vacant property" and waiting for someone else to bring the topic up so you can talk about it again.

Totally pointless

Advertisement