Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The lack of any building going on might be a clue there...if they thought this was viable in its current format they'd be falling over one another. And are they? Certainly doesn't appear so. Whole thing needs to be re-thought with some realism or the tumbleweed will continue to blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

What am I backtracking on?

My main complaint here is that the council are incapable of attracting any substantial development into the city centre.

Name one modern / high quality apartment, retail or office complex in the immediate city centre, built in the last three decades - that is comparable to achievements in the other cities - and I will shut up right now.

The plan had to be downgraded massively due to lack of interest. If the interest was there then the plan would have remained the same, or of similar scale.

Judging by how well the Newgate Centre is going (also no interest) then the plans will surely be downgraded again.

Not really sure what people are arguing against here. The proof is in the lack of development in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You started off slating the Council, stating that underperformance of such magnitude wouldn't be tolerated in the private sector. You neglected to mention that it was the private sector developer who failed to deliver which is why the plug had to be pulled. You subsequently moved on to state that the Council shouldn't have trusted the private sector developer to do their job - I think you're being a bit unfair.

I would agree with you that its not that developing sites is not the core competency of County Councils. Personally, I'm wondering if they'd be better off selling the site altogether - and that would free up the Council to focus on other things which they actually have a core competency in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118219256/#Comment_118219256

People are arguing against your original post above. Which is unfair and simply untrue in many places, likewise in your following posts. You seem to have some vendetta against Waterford Council for some reason. You are just twisting things to make Waterford Council look bad so you can criticize them where it is not deserved. The reality is Waterford Council under Michael Walsh has done more than anybody to progress Waterford city. Even in the face of breath-taking unfairness at national government level, frankly useless local TD’s and senior ministers actively working to restrain Waterford’s development.

PS. Before you say it. Michael Walsh is nothing to me, I never even meet the man.

And Falcon are no more (from what I can tell) because they could not deliver. What overhaul has occurred within the council as a result of not getting that exceptional site (or any site) developed since the 1980s?

I didn't say that the council should not have trusted them - I was just raising the point where Cork, Dublin, Limerick or Galway would have fallen into the same trap and ended up in the same position that we now find ourselves. Even if they did, there are still plenty of other developments within each of those cities to keep them driving on, whereas we were solely dependent on the North Quays.

Something absolutely reeks with the lack of private development in the City and if the place is as good as we all think it is, then we need to get to the bottom of what is happening. I just can't help but attribute a lot of the blame to the council.

What is untrue/unfair about my original post?

If it is unfair or untrue, then please name one major development in the city centre in the last three decades. It can be any one of the following:

1. Decent high quality apartment building.
    2. High quality, high density office building - capable of attracting a major company.
    3. Large-scale retail development - with shops that people actually want to visit

If you cannot name one then my post is true and fair.

Railway Square, Maritana Gate, Hotel on Bridge St (forget the name), Penny’s redevelopment, City Sq redevelopment, Molloy’s Site on Patricks St (new company creating 100 jobs going in there announced the other week), WetherSpoons, Tower Hotel. Suppose all these don’t count and will be ignored.

On the post above “…I just can't help but attribute a lot of the blame to the council.”

Is the council responsible for

Not upgrading WIT to a full university

Removing the IDA regional director from Waterford

Dissolving Waterford City Council

Galway having a lower FDI taxes than Waterford until recent years.

All of these tying one hand behind Waterford's back that the other amazing cities you quote don't have to deal with. Oh yeah, make sure you don't forget to ignore these now.

• Advertisement

Has it crossed your mind that Waterford just mightn't have been an attractive proposition for developers in recent years? You also need people who are from the area to take the bull by the horns and make investments - maybe the business community in Waterford haven't been as entrepreneurial in that regard as people in other cities.

The only city to make any tangible progress with its docklands is Dublin. I think all of the other cities you've mentioned also have large areas of docklands which are underdeveloped - and some of them have maybe only recently moved ahead of Waterford in terms of their plans - but not the execution of them. Galway haven't made any progress to the best of my knowledge, and Limerick are tying to make some of their big sites work via the Land Development Agency. A development was just announced in Cork, but they've done nothing with it yet.

The Council do have a big role to play in terms of Local Area Plans, zoning land, planning permissions and facilitating development by putting in infrastructure. I'd prefer to see them sell this site to enable them to get on with those important tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

With regards to the Cork docklands development. What you read as announced was 1 piece of the docklands. That's not going to start for a year or 2, and these things are always susceptible to some issues. But there has been ongoing continued development for the past few years, so I'm not sure why you think nothing is happening. It'll take years and years to 'complete' if it ever gets there as there's so much land there.

Fact of the matter is that all the cities, have underdeveloped quays.

In my opinion Dublin is the only one to make tangible progress, but I'll take your word about Cork as I haven't been down there in two years or so.

The main thrust of my point was that these are difficult and complex developments. I was responding to those who slated the Council as I didn't think that was particularly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

€27 million wasted already on the North Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Just been looking at the design drawings published by the council for the proposed Sustainable Transport Bridge and unless they've been modified since the bridge is going to land on the North Wharf 2.75M above the quayside level. This was presumably to tie in with the shiny new development which Al Hokair/Falcon are now not building.

So if the Council plough ahead with the bridge whilst no new contractor/developer is in place for the main North Quays development, will the Council be providing a ladder for pedestrians to access the bridge from the North Quayside and maybe some type of pulley system for cyclists to lower and raise their sustainable bicycles on and off the bridge? 😏

https://www.pleanala.ie/publicaccess/EIAR-NIS/303274/River%20Suir%20Sustainable%20Transport%20Bridge%20Vol%201%20NTS.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Separate planning is submitted for the new transport hub/train station which is being built with the same money as the new bridge so I assume it will link up with this? Or link up someway with the dockroad in the interim until the transport hub is built?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I'm not up to date on all this. Has the whole project been scrapped? Just a derelict site now? The old Stanley site is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

New bridge, transport hub, and the other infrastructure works to allow the NQ development happen are apparently all going ahead using the €140m government funding they got. The developer for the actual North Quays Development (Apartments, shopping centre, hotel etc) was dropped for not committing funding in time so the council are searching for a new developer to step in. And when I say searching I mean councillors are doing a whole lot of talking about it but nobody actually seems to be doing anything about finding a new developer. So the project hasn't been scrapped but it is squeaky bum time for the council to make it happen.

On a separate note the greenway extension which I think runs adjacent to the old Stanley site is under construction using active travel money they got from the government, separate to the funding for the NQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Thank you for that information 🙂

North Quays will never happen. Better chance of a new railway to Rosslare.

Does the bridge have a roof? Seems like an important feature for those wet and windy Irish days!

If it had a roof it would prevent suicides.

How many roofed bridges have you seen recently? Will you be making a submission regarding your proposal?

With a big sculpture of a blaa on the roof.

Is it not too late for that?

Why rubbish the suggestion? The weather in Ireland is dreadful, we need to own up to it and mitigate it.

In fairness, the council are already starting to do this with plans for Michael Street and O'Connell street. Why stop there? Crossing Rice Bridge on a cold, wet and windy day is the absolute pits.

Plenty of sheltering on this new bridge might make the walk into town a bit more appealing.

I didn't rubbish your proposal, I asked you if you'd seen any examples and of you'd be making a submission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭914

I'm no engineer but you might have issues with the wind tunnel up the Suir if you had a roof on it, roof structural damage etc.

Im sure it's possible to place some sort of roof canopy over it, but would most likely need to be somewhat enclosed either side in order to keep pedestrians dry, which would keep driving the cost up no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭914

Advertisement