Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag in Clare

Options
  • 23-10-2021 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm planning a stag for about 15 of us in Clare next February. Looking at one of Liscannor / Ballyvaughan / Doolin, nothing too wild but a good send off for the groom. A few quiet pints in a couple of decent pubs would fit the bill very well.

Just starting to look at accommodation options and if there's any activity that might suit that time of year. Would welcome any recommendations!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My friends went on a hen in Kilfenora a couple of years back they really enjoyed it. They stayed at Vaughans Pub the food was pretty good there, you'd have to research it now pre-covid/post covid situation with a lot of these places has changed.

Doolin is highly popular ATM I went to an outdoor gig at the hotel recently there was a great atmosphere.

O'Loclainn's Irish Whiskey Bar in Ballyvaughan is great. Tiny pub but cool looking.

Ennistymon has a lot of nice little pubs if you wanted to go on a crawl. Byrnes's restaurant has great food.

In terms of activities when the weathers crap could go to Doolin Cave maybe. Doolin ferry out to the cliffs is good craic but not something I'd attempt on a hangover unless the weathers pretty settled. You can get out to the Aran Islands from there. Friend of mine runs Caherconnell Fort attraction could go there look at the Dolmen as well.

Wouldn't really suggest going up to the cliffs on foot it'll be baltic in February. Could go on a horse trek maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Thanks for those, great suggestions. Groom is telling me he wants to stay in Lahinch / Liscannor and spin over to Doolin at some stage, so am checking out spots there. Planning to avoid the cliffs and the ferry alright - will be a bit too fragile for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Liscannor is a good shout. Vaughans has nice food. Egans may have a gig on as well.

Got sorted with accommodation in Liscannor so looking forward to it now.

What would be the general demeanor towards stags down that side - we'd be a quiet group but there's about 18 of us in it?

Don't want to take over any place but would be good to know we wouldn't be turned away either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

To may find some pubs won't welcome a stag do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,682 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh, groups that size in Liscannor/Lahinch/Ennistimon may struggle to be allowed in

Thanks, do you know which pubs in the area might be a bit more flexible?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Joe McHughes pub in Liscannor is nice as well. Their Guinness is good as well as their food.

Vaughan’s can be expensive as they focus on fish dishes. The cliffs of Moher hotel will be taking food orders.

There is pitch and put between Liscannor and lahinch. You can rent a club from them. Seen a good few stags paying their.

You can also try out surfing as there are a few schools in Lahinch.

In regards to numbers allowed there is seating outside McHughes and Egan’s. McHughes has a beer garden out the back as well. If you speak to the family I am sure they would accommodate but we still have Covid restrictions so maybe book in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd be off your head trying to organise a stag of that size tbh. Had a stag of 7 recently and we struggled to get sorted in Galway. Serious effort. Between capacity of places and individual table capacity it was always a problem. Pubs setup for between 4 and max 6 at a table. You won't enjoy this to be frank. Be prepared to not have a pub that will take your entire group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'd be ringing places and finding out what they can offer pre-booked. You may find somewhere that has a decent sized room for functions that they'd be happy to open for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You shouldn't have any problem getting looked after in the Ennistymon pubs. Quiet time of the year, I'd say they would welcome you.

Advertisement