Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Interesting that the Irish times have also dropped the reference to opening hours from their article online. Who knows if that'll change as the day goes on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Likely. However I'm vaccinated, but will not be taking a booster unless it's a booster of my choice. They can try and pull mandatory all they like, I'll quite simply ignore them. I will continue to take sensible precautions like masks in indoor spaces, hand hygiene(though will avoid following Prof Cormican down his OCD pattern on it) and limiting unnecessary contacts like I have from the start, but otherwise I will pretty much ignore any of the further panicked ballsology from the government and their so called advisors.

Then again I've just replied to a poster that's either overdosed on the advisor Kool Aid or is a wind up merchant, so anything's possible.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Thankfully I have an actual job and I'm good at it so that means I can be employed in loads of different countries. So chances are I'll just finally feck off from this sh1t country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The Indo seem to have all the details of the NPHET letter:

- 4 household limit (utter nonsense, who would believe anyone would follow this rule)

- 6 people maximum booking size at restaurants (more nonsense, how could this have any material impact)

- 50% capacity limit at theatres etc (this one probably does make some kind of sense for pantos with lots of infected kids, but not for adults)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I honestly have no idea where they are getting their ideas from. There has been hints on reducing household visits, reducing capacity in restaurants and now reducing capacity at concerts and events.

But nothing said about capacity on public transport. Which still remains at 100%. It makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Frank, you're lucky you don't have to put up with this every day. Imagine how depressing that is? At least, you know you'll get to turn around and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's the media push. Simple as that. Covid has been a golden goose for them and all they do is spew up stories that we have all heard before and the covid numbers daily. Scare Byrne and Pat Variant Kenny are leading the charge.

I guarantee you when the country is on the bones of its arse paying for the measure introduced during COvid they will be the ones screaming blue murder.

There will be no further restrictions as NPHET can't really justify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're either ignorant of what you wrote, or you're attempting a crass deflection.

This is how the meme usually goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Further on in the Indo article is says,

"Meanwhile, Transport Minister Eamon Ryan has written to colleagues to say asking airline companies to check passengers for negative tests before flying to Ireland is unworkable.

Mr Ryan wrote a letter late last night saying he did not believe plans to ask airline companies to check passengers for antigen or PCR tests should go ahead as planned."

Isn't that what literally everyone said the other day and he never spoke up at the time ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pretty much none of it makes any logical sense whatsoever and it hasn't for a while. Pubs and cafes fine until midnight, danger increases after. Magic. No masks in the pub or cafe, but slap one on if you're going to the bogs in them. Magic. Kids in school fine, kids going to a panto danger increases. Magic. J&J vaccine a bit of a dud and we got shot of all our stock and Leo has "profound concern" over how much of a dud it is after three months. In the same week we speant a few milllion euro in taxpayer's money to gift the folks of Nigeria with half a million doses of the same vaccine. Magic. I'd love to see the Nigerian's faces when they read of Leo's concern. Thanks for nothin you paddy bastids. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭feelings

“Dr Henry said so far there were no breakthrough infections among the population who received a booster dose, but future cases are likely.” (Dr Colm Henry)

I know of one case already where the person had the booster very earlier in rollout and who has just recently come down with COVID. An isolated incident perhaps? Unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

And while all this is going on we are still no further along. 2yrs this thing is dragging on with no sign of ending. The Spanish Flu had a shorter life cycle I get the feeling we are just slowing this thing down and dragging it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Er.. that one doesnt count

If the booster didnt work, its obviously a faulty booster. Anyone who doesnt catch covid, its because the booster worked.

Get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

My next door neighbour tested positive last week and had her booster a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Would explain the 48 hour postponement. Minister for transport believes new travel restrictions are unworkable is not a good headline for the government. Maybe they won’t follow through - depends on how hard NPHET push for it on Twitter I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭purplefields

How will the 50% at pantos work? - many people would have booked weeks in advance. Some people book a year in advance - just after the show for next year.

Looking at the numbers, you would have to assume that there is at least one, and realistically many, Covid infected children in the audience. For me, I'll be wearing a PPF3 and disposable gloves and treat it like I'm visiting a Covid ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Its all events they want at 50%. Theres sold out shows in Dublin all of December including Dermot Kennedy. They basically have to cancel if that is adopted because how are they going to tell 50% sorry you can’t go???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,724 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How will the 50% at gigs work for gigs that have already sold more than 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Advertisement

Well the 1918 flu had a couple of differences too. Flu is mostly seasonal. It ran through the population either killing or making people immune. So after around 18 months it had no hosts to jump to and went the way of the dodo. And immunity to that strain lasted. We saw how long such immunity could with the Russian flu of 1977-78. It was pretty much an identical virus of the pandemic of 1957(which has prompted some researchers to suggest that old stock of it accidently escaped from a lab accident in Russia, as flu viruses mutate rapidly). That affected people the most who hadn't been alive in 1957, because those that had been alive had immunity to it.

Covid is a different class of viruses. Immunity or at least antibody immunity falls away far more quickly and the vaccines we have are far more leaky than others. However immune memory cell immunity seems to last much longer. For example in the J&J vaccine trials they found while antibodies dropped more rapidly, immune memory got stronger over time. This should mean that more will catch it down the line, but the immune memory side of things will make it a much less dangerous illness.

Yeah. Im supposed to be going to a gig next week thats almost sold out. So err...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

The myth that vaccines or boosters stop you getting covid needs to end. It was never the case.

It stops you getting seriously ill, thats about its. We've been lead on a merry dance by the authorities on its effectiveness and why we needed to get it.

Staring down another Christmas of restrictions, when we could have opened far earlier in the summer and actually had some fun and enjoyment. Beyond depressing where this is all going to end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Of course they know, it’s a joke really

few ministers not happy about all the leaks last night even before they saw the letter

Like how many gigs in the next 5 weeks haven't sold more than 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Infuriated by NPHET yet will continue to do fúck all about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Where are people seeing 50% at gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The last time they did this, the capacity limit only applied to shows that were announced after the restrictions. Shows already opened could honour their ticket sales.

Which means that this measure is less than useless if the aim is to reduce mixing in December because the tickets for those shows are already sold.

Government are saying that they're running into these emergency meetings today to avoid speculation hanging around over the weekend. Which I can accept. But if Michael turns around tonight and goes, "Yeah, we're going to go ahead with everything", then they've officially lost the dressing room.

Cases are stable, hospital numbers are dropping.

The most recent models that NPHET produced were so far off the mark, that it casts a reasonable doubt on any new modelling they come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Ah I know different virus etc. was just been a bit tongue in cheek but that didn’t isn’t stop people both Scientists and others comparing it to the Spanish Flu for months in the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What do the government expect, they have allowed NPHET to become the only voice in this. I can't turn on the radio now without a member of NPHET on it. NPHET are running a campaign of fear as they have no other solutions.

I follow alot of news in the UK and I've never heard of SAGE addressing the public.

Advertisement