Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Agreed. The consequences for this country long term aren't going to be good.

The sad part is that it doesn't have to be that way, if it was properly managed. Resources allocated towards a planned drive to educate and integrate all these undocumented right from the start, with the govt learning from this situation, in how to prevent it from happening again.

However, I seriously doubt that will be the case, and this is just another deflection away from the issues at hand. This is 17k (although the number seems to change depending on who is talking) undocumented workers that were supposedly identified before covid... how many new undocumented have come into Ireland since then? It's not as if the government has implemented new ways to prevent them from coming here, and even under the covid restrictions, there are plenty of ways into Ireland.

This is simply typical of Irish politics and government in general. We F'up, let's just accept everyone in, and pretend it didn't happen, except as a gesture to show how wonderful we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

McEntee has to be one of the most incompetent justice ministers since Sean Doherty back in 1982 and that's saying something. Between this & her decision to appoint a supreme court Judge all by herself even though she doesn't have that authority, the question has to be asked, who does she really think she is??

This is a decision with far reaching consequences which will affect current & future generations. What kind of a message is it sending out to people who want to come here to live & work illegally. Ah sure, after 3 or 4 years, you'll be grand and even if you don't have a job then, you'll be set up with a free social house amongst many other generous welfare benefits. You don't need to go through the proper process of obtaining a visa & citizenship. Its a smack in the face of people who have gone through that process actually.

Our population is rising fast, theres a major housing crisis across Dublin and the other cities in Ireland, public services are generally piss poor, our public transport & infrastructure is way behind where it should be, our state finances are diabolical & this is the type of thing the government is doing about those problems, adding more fuel to the fire. Fine Gael & likes of McEntee, Varadkar, Madigan, Harris, Coveney need to be gotten rid of with a sense of urgency. Wannabe progressive, woke, liberal arseholes.

This scheme was just mentioned at the very end of the news bulletin on Classic Hits FM. The Justice minister spoke. Couple of things I noted:

1. She calls them undocumented migrants, not illegal immigrants. I assume this is to make it sound like their status is just the result of an administrative slip-up rather than an illegal activity.
    2. She claims they are paying tax. I would love to know how that is possible, or maybe she means they pay VAT on food they purchase or something.
    3. She claims lots of them don't even know they are undocumented. If that was true, which it isn't, how will they know to even take part in the scheme. I need to be careful next time I go America on holidays in case I wake up in a hotel in New York and think I'm actually an American citizen and forget to go home.

There is no doubt in my mind this will become a regular scheme rolled out every 5-10 years. This will attract even greater numbers into this country. It's simply unsustainable and unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

It's all about unfetterd growth. Keep the economy growing at any cost. Whether it be at the cost of present taxpayers or future ones.

A ponzi scheme like the Celtic tiger only when it goes bust this time your going to be left with a whole lot more mouths to feed that weren't our responsibility to feed in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

There are legal ways to enter a country, why is Ireland rewarding law breakers ?

Should have posted the CSO link earlier. There is detailed info on what they are trying to achieve, the limitations of the research and the updated statistics.

Stunning that our population has just been revised upwards by 5% and barely a mention of it. Anyway thanks to the CSO for trying to get a handle on what the actual figures are.

I'm not sure there is any suggestion that the entered illegally necessarily. Just that they stayed in illegally. Although, I obviously don't know the details of all applications

Marketing spin, and propaganda spread. undocumented gives a better impression than "illegal". They're prepping the Irish population for acceptance.

I do find it interesting that RTE haven't done any in-depth investigation of the overall situation. Instead, reports are given in small installments, or just added at the end of other reports (which have already encouraged the belief that all migrants are innocent, are in need of help, and are a definite benefit to the nation).

TBH I find it more interesting the way Irish people just accept all this conditioning.... people will be quick to point to China or Russia for how the media is twisted to serve governmental policies.. but there's little to no consideration of how much western governments are doing the same. Oh, the issues involved are different, but the methods used are pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

So some overstayed their vivas to stay in the country ilegally ?

That's still law breaking and should not be rewarded.

• Advertisement

That's as far as I am aware. I agree it is breaking the law. Government have decided to regulate a certain number of these people, it's better then them being illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

What would be better is to remove them from the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

We also had a previous "once in a lifetime" citizenship scheme in our lifetimes when Alan Shatter took the unprecedented step of naturalising 80,000 illegals in 2012.

There will be an unending series of "once in a lifetime" citizenship amnesties such as these.

It's not incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Back up a prediction? Not possible. And I don't have to do anything.

You can read about Shatter here:

https://www.thejournal.ie/visa-immigration-ireland-2012-737991-Jan2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

They are in Ireland. Are you aware of the topic being discussed?

Nothing to do with naturalisation of illegal immigrants, so just lies!

• Advertisement

Obviously. You think they should be removed? Where will you find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

So this scheme is for 17k here illegally and 8k in direct provision. 25k in total (is the 17k the max or a wishy washy figure- I reckon I know the answer!)- I assume now that they are legit they can apply for their families to come over? What is the average no. Of people typically repatriated over does anyone know? Say for the craic it's 3- that's 100k now with access to the dole, housing lists etc.

Thats the housing crisis sorted for another couple of years anyway. Hope u get a nice gig in Brussels out of it in the years to come Helen, cheers!

Shouldn't be difficult if the will/interest was there to do so.

First off, all illegals found by the Gardai to be illegally employed, should be identified, and not released back into society.

Secondly, the requirement for any access to medical care by anyone without legal documentation to be here, be guaranteed by the Gardai. As such, then the Gardai would have the details of the people in question. The same happening for access to state education.

Third, regular checks of employers in industries where such immigrants typically end up working in. for example, food processing/slaughterhouses. Hospitality would be much harder to track, but then again, they've managed to enforce covid checks, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to check those employed.. God knows they could just take the people away from checking for the TV license and assign them to following up on employers.

It wouldn't be hard to sweep the current population and identify a fair majority of them... sure, some would escape notice, but I suspect they'd be able to identify upwards of 60-70% simply by doing the above. Which would still be better than the current "answer" to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What are you on about?

The scheme isnt for newly arrived migrants. Its for people living here for 4 years or more.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You could read over the last page, and then, you'd know what I was "on about". The discussion is about the undocumented/illegal workers included within the 17k estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

In four years time another scheme. Never ending. Complete dumbass politics.

Every country has some sort of border control in the west.

The muppets in the dail think otherwise.

Yes

You started surmising it would include newly arrived migrants which it doesnt.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Where is your evidence that "Alan Shatter took the unprecedented step of naturalising 80,000 illegals in 2012."

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's assuming of course that there is any will in government to see such migrants as anything but potential Irish people who are being victimised. I would suggest that many who drive this multicultural narrative don't want to find them or measure their numbers, but instead take the passive approach and explain it away with vague feel good statements like diveristy is great, we were migrants once, we need to pay pensions and so forth. It saves them taking an actual stand or spending resources to do anthing about it. Pure cheap optics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

If it was China or Russia admitting being 5% off it'd be a laugh.

There's no way of knowing what the population is. Worked with a guy who worked on a census, said there was one street in particular with under 20% returns. Couple of knocking shops, one European, one Chinese. At least 2 shooting galleries. Couple of growhouses found as well while they were at it. Not a particularly rough street either usually, full of the old 3 storey red-brick terraced houses. There's another street that likely has more people of South Asian heritage on it than are apparently meant to live in the whole county.

Advertisement