Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

Possibly a shot gun post there? Engage brain (if it exists) etc.

Presume you're also calling for the hospitality industry to close and criticising the government for not acting? Ditto the schools? Assume you're also on the government thread hurling rocks at the incompetence of the government? It's dangerous to say this is the worst example of you spewing verbal scutter on here (that would be a very competitive race with reams to choose from) but this is definitely a contender. Boy you've outdone yourself on the last page here.

Another poster hit the nail on the head: I don't think MLMD travelling to fund raiser events is a good look, but as usual the spin to exaggerate things completely diminishes legitimate criticism.

SF's fantasy land policies are all that's necessary to be skeptical of the party in government. Maybe focus on policy rather than the utter drivel you tend to post (though of course focusing on policies leaves the government open to criticism for not having any).

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Blanch, you really go all out to defend this pantomime of a government in order to get one over on Sinn Fein, it's actually commendable the all out devotion you have.

It takes some temerity to highlight the way numbers have skyrocketed here in order to have a go lol.

You probably do realise there's a great difference in global travel now with vaccines and even "boosters", and covid "passports" in December 2021 than existed early 2021, but you need this "score" in order to have a poke at Sinn Fein, so have no concerns about how foolish that makes you look right?

I promised myself to step back a bit from posting in here, i find you can often get pulled into a vortex, but the above posted by you is just a baloney comparison, and needs to be pointed at.

I'll bet you had no issues with Leo heading over to a gig in the UK, despite them being banned here?

Have other Ministers being jetting off anywhere recently, after being members of a govt that banned international travel for most of us earlier in the year?

Lastly, but by no means least, you will obviously be aware that ultimately - it was the Biden administration that requested Michaél to stay in Ireland.

If they requested Sinn Fein to not attend a "junket" obviously you'd be on to something, but as usual you're twisting reality, the narrative and the circumstances.

Even at that, you seem to be preaching to the converted in an echo chamber of your own making. No one will care about McDonald heading to the States in the winter of 21 because of the aforementioned vaccination program and covid certs, except the obsessed to delusional levels, who aren't going to vote for McDonald's party regardless.

That's the reality, I'm afraid.

My God, you post some utter, utter stupidly thought out nonsense. There's plenty of reasons to take a good swipe at the Shinners, and then some. But this is stupidity and false comparisons, and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Prawn Sandwich soldiers more like it...

On a serious note, how can supposed left-wing progressives defend this carry on from SF? They have been at this for years, going across the pond and putting their hand out for dough. They are after all the richest party in the state, yet they claim the poor mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No problem with any Minister travelling abroad for official Government business, that is an essential service, but when people are being asked to work from home except when necessary, travelling to the US for a fund-raising junket is at best hardly setting an example, and at worst showing two fingers to the rest of us.

... and it seems they are telling lies about where the money ends up.

Northern Ireland is not Ireland now?

Only SF could say something like that.

• Advertisement

I actually welcome Sinn Fein recognising the legitimacy of partition. A big step that they have taken.

They are in quite a hurry on this issue, as political funding arrangements will be tightened in the North.

But shure we are told time and again that everyone else except SF are partitionists, so Leo saying that isn't news, so hard luck with the whataboutery.

Now, Sinn Fein acknowledging that Ireland only consists of 26 counties, that is news.

Of course it isn't a Galway Tent scenario.

A tent?? In the rain in Galway?? That wouldn't be good enough for the people that Sinn Fein mix with. Exclusive golf courses in the US, now you're talking.

Not a good look this, grubby money being moved around different jurisdictions to avoid the law, sounds like something a rich capitalist businessman would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

So going to events at golf courses are bad now?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

jaysis blanch dont mention golf and galway lolol

maybe the shinners still feel left out at not being at this event

I see no shinner politicians on that list lol !!!

big phil hogan says hi 👋

yer man up above is on the money ! a total gluton for punishment 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmmm Hudson National Golf Club…… know it well….. up the road from White Plains.

Expensive to join ,circa $ 200.000 ,designed by Tom Fazio.. and. Ii remember correctly was 120 bucks for a round.,.

Not a place you’d come across a dude on the average industrial wage.

Not ‘Galway Tent’ style in fairness with lads horsing the steak N.chips down with gallons of stout and sweatin like overweight pigs.

Very refined eatery there, with top of the range wine list and a superbly equipped pro shop.

Cant remember the price of a golf cart, but I was a bout $2000 lighter after the day and didn’t even pay for the golf.

Hmmm….was Cullinane over there I wonder…be interesting to see how a few bars of ‘The men behind the wire’ went down.

You have a problem with wealth? Never took you for a communist.

Not at all, just giving my personal experience an airing…… let folk know the setup.

Hope that’s ok?

The seafood tower on the Terrace looks particularly appetizing. Must have a spectacular wine list to accompany that.

I have previously described Sinn Fein as FF-lite, but with Michelle and the personal use of the Merc, Mary jetting off on junkets and now this shindig at one of the top 100 golf clubs, they are even making CJH and the chicken and chips circuit look like cheapskates.

And all the boys can do is take cheap shots at posters that highlight this.

Indeed……

What I would like to know is did any of the SF intelligencia travel over to play.

Did Gerry Kelly sit in the passenger seat of the golf cart

Was there a four ball from Connolly House.

Stuff like that…… wonder what handicap Conor Murphy has?

Any decent journos out there getting those juicy tit bits.?

Read like you had some kind of an issue is all. Roll on mo chara.

SF banging on about the elites in FG and FF.... while they swan about the place on exclusive golf courses and charge $7,500 for a round of golf is the problem. Not surprised you defend it though.....

Prawn sandwich socalists..

Just to clarify, $7500 would be for a team of four., I’m sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭KevRossi

A fundraiser with a 4 ball of $7,500 and $1,000 a plate afterwards? So over $2,800 a head for a day out. That's more than I spend on travelling to GAA matches and going out to pubs and restaurants in a year. Nice if you have that kind of money.

The way that works is that it's an 'investment' by the individual or company involved. They will be paid back multiples of that investment in later years as SF now 'owe' them a favour. The people who will pay that bill back are the gobshltes in this country who usually go under the name 'the taxpayer'.

In future years, when it comes to contracts being handed out, or someone needing to bend a politicians ear to ensure legislation is passed/not passed then these people will be at the head of any queue. They'll have far more clout and influence than any elected TD in the Dail.

It's how politics works. Ironically the system probably worse in the USA than in any other western country.

Same old story really from all of them. At this stage I've personally no issue with SF running the country, though I won't be giving them a voting preference. The others have had their chance over the past 100 years and have done good and bad. But if anybody is expecting a sea change in Irish politics when SF are in power then they're in for a seriously hard landing.

Defend it? It amuses me greatly. Desperate little minds trawling for scraps to try win points in a game of their own creation that nobody else is playing

The aul' 'if you care so much about low income people how come you have an arse in your trousers?'. Quaint :)

Excellent post K, nothing is for ‘free’ basically.

You are quite correct, “investment “ is an excellent way to describe the event from the perspective of those supporting it.

Its all about ‘now that I looked after you’ in the past , Dude, now I need you to ‘look after’ me.

They all do it in fairness….as soon as you leave power the invitations and being ‘looked after’ yoursel dries up pretty quick.

Good call k,

Wait until you see Sinn Fein initiating proposals for the diaspora over the next few years. Votes for them, easy roads to citizenship for them, grants to come back to Ireland etc.. There will be other measures I haven't thought of such as appointments to committees and emigrant councils and the like. That is how they will pay back their American friends, hidden under a veneer of respectability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭KevRossi

"That is how they will pay back their American friends"

I'd love to see list of attendees. A lot of them will be Irish, some will have gone over specifically for the golf and mingling. Plenty of them will be linked in with business and vested interests here. They effectively pay them all off... FF, FG, Lab, SF and expect them to deliver the goods once in power.

I think some people think others are buying into their government party spin.

Nobody (in opposition anyway) has ever said they can fix all the problems. Nobody expects them to.

We hope they'll try and make a fair go of it. Be that SF or whoever.

Well, actually, Sinn Fein have told us that they will fix all the problems. They have said at every turn that the government is doing the wrong thing. As this is the Sinn Fein thread, I will keep the discussion about them, not about the government.

But it's been pointed out to you before that you've no problems at all, none whatsoever "talking about the government" in this "Sinn Fein thread" when it suits you, but coincidentally enough, it's only ever when there's an opportunity to do so in a positive occasions. (By the way that's fine, it's a discussion forum, conversations will drift to the side from time to time, it's the **refusal to play** under false pretences that's the issue)

Tell me I'm wrong, I know I'm not though, and I can point to you doing so on numerous and multiple time.

Protest's such as the above portray you as being hypocritical and extremely disingenuous.

You can hold any opinion you like on my style of posting but I don't have to respond, and I won't.

• Advertisement

That's fine, as I said I can quote you doing what you pretend not to want to do - that shows one of us up as disingenuous and being fast and loose with honesty.

I'm a man of integrity, you'll not catch me out at such nonsense though, because I don't engage in it. If you pretend to have morals and principles, stick to them.

Saves you being called out on them later. Just friendly advice.

Advertisement