Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Flexitime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

DSP for my sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Two things. Lots of civil servants don't have any flexitime, anyone from AP and above, for example.

Secondly anyone who works in the CS and hasn't seen lazy colleagues abusing flexi is lying.

One person in a Dept I used to work in used to come in at 7.30am and head off in to town in to coffee. She'd wander back around 8.45am with 1 hour and 15 of flexi built up, every morning.

Imagine those people with WFH and flexitime.

Just on the above, you cant accrue flexi before 8am! Or more than 11.5 hours in a four week period.

I'm not going to deny there are those who abuse flexi, but if this woman's pattern of behaviour was well known, then the onus was on her supervisor to pull her up on it.

You wouldn't get away with that where I work.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Does this mean AP and above aren't trustworthy. Or if someone doesn't have flexi they couldn't just leave their office for a few hours and do nothing, or just sit at their desk and do nothing. None of that is Unique to CS.

What is means is their performance and output regardless of who they are or public or private is not being measured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

In Health, one was able to accrue flexi from 7:30am from early 2019.

Okay, I didn't know that about Health - but it still doesn't change the fact that supervisors should be responsible for making sure this type of abuse doesn't happen amongst their staff. If someone is getting away with this kind of abuse, I see that as a failure on the part of their manager to manage.

There was flexi abuse going on in my department a few years ago but HRD went on a purge. A lot of people got into a LOT of trouble, and there were consequences, including suspensions, withdrawal of increments, people permanently removed from flexitime, amongst other measures taken. It doesn't go on any more.

But, the thing is, someone like that woman mentioned is what makes the argument for the retention of flexi-leave difficult. They ruin it for everyone, including for those who are not abusing it. If someone can't accrue extra hours, there is no point them logging on/showing up at 7:30am and staying until 7:00pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I knew an ap who would wander in at 9 go to the canteen after putting their coat in the office and be still there at 1030 when I went for my tea break.

The person would then complain how busy they were 🤣.

You just couldn't make it up.

The only thing is its harder to hide in an open plan office. The APs working with the plebs was a real struggle for them. They couldn't pretend to be working. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

That's only true if you think clocking on and off is the only way to measure performance and output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

We have them, sign in at 8am, then breakfast at their desk till 9am, then "tea break" at 1030, but not for the required 20 minutes, they take 45. Then the oul 30 minutes flexi lunch that lasts an hour, these are people crying to work from home and they can't be trusted and their stats are way down but noone says anything, because all of the boss's are at home doing the same thing.

That was MY point :) I was being rhetorical.

Its that old argument, how do you know if people are working at home? The answer to that is well how do you know they are working in the office? Often the answer is you don't know what they are doing in the office. THAT is why you don't know what they are doing at home.

That's the other side of it. you can only know how much something is improved by measuring the before and after. if no one does this. Or if people ignore the stats, then they can make up any story they like. Something like is a culture thats driven from he top down.

This is why they come up with things like Competency interviews and PDMS system. The bluffers can avoid having to use metric's and output when getting up the ladder. Once there they are unable to answer any question about anything.

There was a big debate moving to Miesian plaza about the location of the clocks. Some didn't want a clock and you'd have to log into your pc and clock in. They eventually relented.

As for the lobby and having it next to the canteen but I can't go there.

My dept has to clock in at a pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yes, but the problem is any kind of meaningful performance management in the CS means the boss comes under fire from the unions or you end up with a bullying complaint. So you just have to let it go as HR aren't going to take a tough enough stance to remove the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

There are people who will do anything to avoid work. In every walk of life Nd job. They are easier to get rid of in the private sector though.

There are many problems in the civil service. Weak managers, weak hrs, weak unions. These allow people to do nothing and get away with it. But another big problem is that they've taken the attitude that the best way to deal with the underperforms in to treat a large portion of the civil service like a child.

The quality of managers in the civil service is poor. As is the quality of training on offer to them. There's never any requirements to upskill or improve your skills and management skills. If someone does want to learn it is basically done on a voluntary basis. Probation is too easy to pass and so is the yearly performance review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think a lot of Departments are clamping down on underperformance and PIPs are now the go to wherever it occurs.

People do lots of courses lots of qualifications. They learn nothing from them as they just need to tick that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Do you think they will ever get rid of flexi time in the civil service.

I am going for Ap and the downside is lack of flexi time.

It's not available to anyone in my Department that works remotely at the minute. Will you be working full time in the office at AP level?

I miss the Flexi days but the option to work from home is saving me over 2 hours commuting time per day.

Hard to see it being completely removed for staff full time in the office but may be not be as flexible with less staff availing of it.

• Advertisement

You've had no flexitime during lockdown. Was it manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ConsRoxMySox

Precovid my line manager used to rock into the office after ten, be gone by four and maybe he'd occasionally stay a bit later. Somehow would still have enough flexi built to take his day and a half per month. Dunno what kind of arrangement he had with the AP...

Had an ap who used to work from home a day a week.

Waltzed in at 930 and went straight to the canteen for breakfast for an hour. Add to that 2 hours lunch and gone by 5 the other days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

How long is the paid tea break? Hear different stories from everyone. 15mins, 20mins or 30mins?

20 minutes as far as I know, don't think I've ever seen that confirmed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

It varies widely how long staff take a tea break. Some staff take to the piss and go missing from their desks for about 30-40 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

The statutory break is 15 minutes and would coincide with the morning tea break. It is paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks all, I can see why i'm hearing different times from people now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EO2019

There is a 15 min morning and 15 min evening tea break. Most places people take 1 break in the morning around 20 mins instead of taking an evening break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Flexitime back for DSP staff who are in the office full time from end of February.

Advertisement