Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

#leotheleak trending now on Twitter. Think he may have put his foot in it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

Id imagine IF they do (I really hope the Gov tell Tony and co to fukk the fukk off!) it'll be from Monday....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

It’s fairly well documented that it’s not related to the variant, its to do with case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Pubs are not closing. These restrictions, while on paper sound reasonably strict, will not be enforced.

The one about get airlines to inspect your PCR / antigen test prior to getting on the plane has already been ditched.

Unless the department of foreign affairs put staff at every airport gate for every flight that lands in Ireland that one is sunk.

MHQ cost nearly €30m and caught less than 0.5% of cases. Waste of money.

I was in a coffee shop this morning, was asked for my covid passed, flashed it to the girl from 2 metres away, no validation of it being genuine at all.

These restrictions are merely designed into frustrating us into going out a little less.

These measures won't make or break us having a lockdown or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm pretty sure, if there is restrictions etc... They will be saying high cases coming into Christmas and be comparing this time last year hospital and ICU numbers and be concerned or very concerned that any increase in cases over the Christmas will cause hospitals and ICU to increase from a very high base. Ignore vaccines and boosters and throw in this new variant is a new virus etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Just called to my grandmother's house for a chat. My mother was there too and she was smothered with a cold. I said Jesus what are you doing around nan with a cold if I had done that you'd ate me. Her reply was that it's different because you're "one of them" (unvaccinated).

This is what we're dealing with, she thinks I'm more dangerous to my nan than her and she's spluttering and coughing. Absolutely no talking sense in to her.

These measures will make no difference. Its optics and window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They are effectively using the new variant as an excuse to keep the farce going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Oh give over yourself ffs. We have 90% + adults inoculated for a start who are unlikely to get seriously ill , booster shots gathering pace. We have had huge cases everyday for the last couple of months and yet hospitalizations stable between 500-600. This is not December 2020. You’re seriously out of touch with reality.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Only the certs and indoor restrictions are within their remit really, who is going to pay any attention to household numbers? It was none of their business last year how many people you had over for Xmas, and it sure as **** is none of their business this year.

"We know that every 1,000 cases of Covid-19 will lead to 20-25 people in hospital" - Holohan November 22nd 2021.

An absolute conman, with 4000+ cases a day we should be seeing 100 admissions a day.

And of course no mention of only allowing vaccinated people into your home.

Another own goal from these failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Anyone know what time the hspc Friday icu and deaths vaccination breakdown reports usually go up.

The page where they normally are is showing a 404 error for the last few hours.

Haven't seen that error on it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

NPHET are reading that as 404 admitted to ICU in the last few hours, hence the panic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That's a rude and uncivil post to someone who frankly does not deserve that sort of reply.

Your posts are increasingly anti vaxx quoting from some very dodgy sites. Your language is emotive and you lump all posters who disagree with you together.

I think your posts have been going down hill over the last few months and it appears you are gone down the rabbit hole of misinformation.

It is so easy to say the health service is crxp and there are hospital outbreaks, nothing to see here.. While all the time ignoring rising cases among children ( we discussed this very scenario in September, remember?) and increases in infection and illness amongst any left unvaccinated.

You say that nurses are out as close contacts, that is true but not the cause of reduced services. That would be down to the large numbers still in hospital with Covid, majority of whom are sick, again denied by some here, and need hospital care.

I agree with many things that other poster says but I think you know I don't agree with children being excluded from school nor mandatory vaccination as we have discussed that very subject before.

That would be misrepresenting so you can dismiss my post.

No links, just anecdotes and excessive drama from you as usual

And when you descend to misinformation and name calling you have lost the debate, everywhere it seems except here.

Done with you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Based off hospital admissions and discharges from Nov 1st there should be less than 100 on hospital in our country. Yet there is over 500. But yeah lets blame the kids.

It really needs to get to the point where if you're supporting this charade and this NPHET political entity, you need to be seen as supporting mass unemployment, non payment of bills/mortgages, and mass broken homes and families.

I don't see anything else getting through to the I'm so scared/restrictions until covid magically disappears crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So what if children are getting covid - cases do not matter, only outcomes matter! Children are incredibly unlikely to be hospitalised with covid (more likely for flu or RSV). And children who are not severely immunocompromised have 0 risk of death from covid.

Beds taken up in hospitals by covid patients are a fraction of the overall hospital system - to attribute the blame for service cutbacks on that alone is disingenuous bs. Staff shortages have a far bigger impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As they say @Goldengirl, the effort required to refute bullsh1t is exponentially larger than that required to produce it. When posters have demonstrated themselves to be prolific liars and bullshit peddlers, you're better off sticking them on ignore and moving on. Let them scream into the void.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

We do not know how This variant behaves in terms of vaccines.

nor we do we know how previous infection works with variant.

if we knew it behaved the same as previously then yes, restrictions are unnecessary,

but we do not, and it surely better to be cautious.

that’s reality. It sucks, but it’s reality right now

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

They're screaming into an echo chamber.

Not a void.

Organisations, unions etc, need to start opposing this. The Vintners and the RAI go quiet very quickly. Good to see the Campaign for the Arts come out against it - only a minor crowd but movement always starts with something small. https://twitter.com/Campaign4Arts/status/1466754308259655680

I'm getting seriously concerned about the lack of coherent messaging coming from Government. They are all over the place on it and they're going to confuse people and lose the room.

1. Be clear about why the restrictions are emerging and don't patronise people. If they're there as a temporary precaution due to omicron be very clear about that. If they're about reducing overall numbers of infections, also be clear about that - do not mix messaging and do not lecture people. They're very willing to lend a hand and pull together, but there's no need for this 1980s school principal style tone.
    2. Policies should be CLEAR, CONCISE, FACTS LED and CONSISTENT and not sound like the cabinet and its advisors all have completely different takes on what's going on.
    3. Stop dogmatically repeating that 'schools are safe ... schools are safe ... schools are safe' without doing something to make the the case and showing strong evidence - i.e. working on the air quality in classrooms. People aren't fools and they're beginning to look like some of the ministers and leadership are just parroting the same nonsense over and over. It's also way out of step with comparable countries and we know that.
    4. Get the vaccine systems flowing properly. Reopen the web portal, let people register for boosters, get things feeling like there's a process in place. Do not have thousands of people turning up at walk-in centres to queue for hours. It's unnecessary and it will cause annoyance. Also issue updated certs.
    5. Get the messaging right about the vaccines. People don't seem to know what cohort is doing what when anymore. It's totally unclear.
    6. Create ONE website for all things government covid messaging related. Do not continue to have information scattered across multiple site, often in dense text and often also extremely out of date. It needs to be something like "COVID.GOV.IE" and that should have everything up-to-date, all the latest news, regulations, access to statistical portals, vaccine registration, health and advice (in English, Irish and multiple commonly spoken languages of other communities here) and it should be tightly managed, easy to navigate and look slick.

Also, very interesting here - the HSE/DoH has spent over 12m on Covid advertising. And we wonder why the media are being played like fools.. Generally, it's always a worthwhile exercise to follow the money trail. https://twitter.com/MlMcNamaraTD/status/1466762260836192260

You can spend a lot of money on ads and still get the message all jumbled up, especially when the communications are coming from umpteen sources, all with their own hot take on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Caveat after caveat. They shouldn’t be allowed to publish this stuff in the news without it being peer approved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hotels is a strange one. What happens for those who are in emergency accommodation in hotels that are unvaccinated? Out on the streets?

Advertisement