Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

In France the certs are not required for hotel accommodation, take-out or room service on the basis that hotel accommodation might be an essential service and France has a far more draconian approach to this overall. They are required for hospitality within the hotel i.e. bar, restaurant, cafe etc service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It's great to see so may people come over to the other side and finally see what NPHET are and particularly the CMO who will never give up power.

Welcome to my views in May 2020. Now please bring as many friends and family with you and we can slowly end this awful existence that many people have lived in Ireland for 21 months.

I'd give a lot of credit for the scale of rollout of the first and second dose vaccines, and that was handled by a specific Vaccine Task Force which needs to be reassembled immediately.

As for the rest of it ... some restrictions were and might be necessary, but they need to be extremely science led and justified. I am getting a bit fed up with these arbitrary nonsense type measures and then total blindness to measures like school air hygiene that is blatantly obviously missing. Ireland's not unique in that either, I've seen similar in the UK and France by times.

The utter crazies on the fringes have not helped any kind of nuanced debate going around roaring about conspiracy theories. In fact, I think they've done a huge disservice to their being any kind of nuanced debate on measures because it allowed anyone critiquing anything to be thrown into the 'oh one of them lot...' category. It was understandable to a degree during the worst and most unpredictable phase of the pandemic as without the vaccines in place, it was a genuinely catastrophic situation and had been in numerous comparable places, but we have been vaccinated and also have far more of a sense of how this behaves now and we need to be able to debate the nuances much more than we had to date.

The positives I see at the moment are again mostly vaccine related. The very high vaccination rate and the targeted booster campaign has us in a totally different position to Christmas 2020 or to many of our continental neighbours experiencing difficulties too. Case rates are too high, but we should be able to curb them with pretty minor tweaks here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭The Nu man in town

Yeah, lets, as a country, take precautions against every possible bad thing that might happen.

Build loads of nuclear shelters.

Ban cars to stop people getting killed in car crashes.

Build a 10m wall round the coast in case of global warming.

Etc. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

legitimately what power does the cmo have?

He doesn't make any decisions, he makes recommendations, thats his job.

Any anger with the subsequent decisions are surely for the government?

"NPHET advise the government decides" has been done to death.

By and large the government have rubber stamped the vast majority of NPHET decisions, no political gain by going against him.

Holohan has been entrusted to give recommendations which he knows will largely be implemented, we as a nation have entrusted an awful lot of responsibility in him.

Sadly its now gone to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes , unfortunately that list grows every week 🙄.

To be honest I prefer to try to engage , as some people, even though we may not agree on all things Covid, do have good points and as long as it remains civil , it is good to hear another perspective .

There has been a lot of insulting and meanness on the thread in the last while.

I would say we are all guilty to a degree but everyone needs to look at why they are bothering to make life more difficult than it already is by fighting on the internet ,and I don't mean just arguing a point . Nothing wrong with that .

We all will not agree , I know , but there doesn't have to be hate .

A big part of the problem is the government is using NPHET as a mudguard. I think that's quite unfair on the medics as they are supposed to give frank, honest and potentially unpalatable advice, not worry about the politics of interpreting and implementing that. Yet, they seem to be getting put up front and centre while the ministers are hand wringing about that 'awful NPHET' as if it's the cigire calling into a school.

While it is a very technical area, they need to be showing they are taking advice, processing said advice, and then taking decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

To start with there's the headline, deeper into the article it says, "Mr Holohan warned deaths per day have been increasing very slowly at approximately seven per day, or 200 deaths per month" , right so this conversation has probably been put off for a long time but as morbid as it is they need to have a discussion as to what is the acceptable level. Now I know every death is awfully sad, I fully understand that but the conversation needs to be had, what is the end goal, what does living with it look like, because ultimately some people will indeed die.

I've a major issue with the following as well, Prof Nolan's random number generator back out,

"Nphet’s modelling shows that if Omicron becomes the dominant variant over the coming weeks and the vaccines are not as effective as they have been with the Delta strain then there is high risk of a surge in virus transmission over Christmas.

He said the most pessimistic but plausible scenario show there will be 750 to 1300 people in hospital due to Covid and 200-400 will require critical care."

How on earth can he possibly predict this, there won't be full data on Omicron yet for another while, so how on earth can anyone stand over these figures, it's a complete guess.

Well under the last set of hospital predictions, let's come up with more new graphs based on incomplete information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

there's hardly been political gain by backing him?

CMO doesn't make the decisions. its very simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

“The NPHET believes that these are a targeted set of measures focused on those activities and settings that are likely to have the biggest impact over the coming weeks, while maintaining as much economic and societal activity as possible,” Mr Holohan wrote.

Show us the evidence dude, or gtfo

You're own numbers from the last two weeks would not support this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

"They have not tested each patient to prove it is Omicron, but they say the timing suggests the variant is the driving force."

IOW, "we're just assuming it's the new variant".

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Can I have a thumbs up ?

seeing as the majority of these posts are for that

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Nolan has been consistently wrong in all of his projections, this is no different. By December 20th there will be 479 people in hospital with 102 in ICU - see, we can all do the exact same thing he does. What data did I use to come to that figure? Has it been peer reviewed? Is it accurate? Who cares!

I'd love to know what has been done to help make venues, clubs and bars safe... In many cases you could pretty much run huge extractors and because people are dancing / moving around all the time, they don't need to be very hot anyway. You could probably do huge amounts of air changes and make them very safe quite easily.

Yeah we all know the line "NPHET advise the government decides" its been absolutely done to death and beaten to a pulp.

We also know that whatever recommendations he makes tend to be rubber stamped, thats the way it is, politicians won't go against medical advice.

So, he de facto is making the decisions, whether choose to pretend otherwise or not.

For a lot of people its about beating England in terms of fewer deaths. (per 1000 people)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

A

All this is just a political leak.

The letter hasn't been published.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

It's quite simply beyond belief at this stage. I'd have more respect if they said that restrictions are needed until we have more data on the new variant rather than producing projections again....all while his most recent projections are way off.

• Advertisement

Well yeah but NPHET have politicised themselves.

They wrote to government advising AGAINST kids mixing outside school. When the government watered it down they again intervened writing to schools telling them kid should AVOID social mixing.

Their job is to advise, not throw their toys out of the pram when government don't follow their advice to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

So yesterday 48% of those in hospital with covid are unvaccinated.. and 50% of those in ICU with covid also unvaccinated.. speaks volumes!!!

on the up side, 1000's going for 1st/2nd vaccine of late

• Registered Users Posts: 38,311 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep and its possible NPHET members will throw tantrums if the advice is rejected

Its so hard not to see the Government accepting the advice esp with what happened last xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There were graphs printed here yesterday from the Gauteng province in SA which showed exponential rise in cases and somewhat in hospitalisation, so there is data out there about the effects of Omicron.

Our population is so different, older yes, but more vaccinated .

You are right that they keep shooting themselves in the foot with these off the cuff predictions of numbers and modeling which is out of date by the time it is produced .

It would be better to leave those predictions to the briefings at this stage.

When is the next briefing btw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Certainly with all this benefit of hindsight, it seems like a big mistake to pack NPHET with mostly medical professionals from the dept of health and HSE.

They are expected to make recommendations in relation to controlling an outbreak, but that response isn't purely medical in nature. Which means that when it comes to the aspects that are more sociological/psychological in nature, NPHET are basically guessing. Making assumptions about what people will and won't do, about how they feel. We've seen Tony quote this "fear index" thing he has. Does that even have a scientific basis? Who advised that they should use that for informing their decisions?

It definitely seems like the team should include psychologists, sociologists, anthropologists and possibly economists too. NPHET are making decisions to try and influence human behaviour without any human behavioural experts on the panel.

Like the rest of us, they are human beings with a certain level of natural understanding of human behaviour, which has stood to them in past decisions. But the lack of professional insight has really started to show over the last 3-4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Why do they say indoor venues have to operate at 50% capacity?

It's really disingenuous, how many venues could actually operate at 50% capacity, especially at short notice?

Olympia, 3arena, bordgais, gaiety, whelans, vicar street etc. would basically all be closed again under these proposals as they've already sold tickets. (They are basically closing pretty much all indoor venues).

It's an absolute farce, especially with 92% fully vaccinated and other countries like England getting on with things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You've missed a critical step in the process. Make your prediction, have new restrictions invoked as a result. Then when you're prediction is miles off, you can conveniently say its as a result of the new restrictions. Science

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Why are we seeing the letter? Why is it public? Surely it goes to government to consider, then whatever is announced is for the public?

These letters / announcements from Nphet are being taken as de facto decisions by the public. It's ridiculous at this stage. But what to do about it? I've written to my TD to complain about Nphet's public-facing activities, but I don't know what more I can do. I'm only (counts) one person.

Somebody posted a link to what somebody posted on twitter. It could have been a zero covid or ISAG type with an agenda, who knows?

Others have posted links to twitter comments about Omicron which effectively said "nothing to see here, move on"

But suffice to say, one persons unvalidated twitter post is not reliable data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They dont know if they're all omicron because the cases haven't been sequenced - back in August they have been predicting a new wave of infection in South Africa in December also.

Advertisement