Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

It's not meant to be derogatory. I have met quite a few consultants down the years and there are definitely some who are good at their jobs but not so good at connecting with humans. Tomas Ryan comes across as somebody like that. I'm sure he is outstanding in his field but I don't think he quite understands that humans behave differently to organisms under a microscope or numbers in a computer model. I think we'll leave it at that because we're in danger of derailing the thread. It's about a podcast, not Tomás Ryan or Covid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What about him speculating that catching Covid during pregnancy may lead to autism in the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He's been wrong about things for sure.

But he's also been right about some other things. He warned about a second wave on it's way during Summer 2020 and a inevitable second lock down - he was one of the few that consistently did - and he was dismissed as a crank.

He warned about another massive surge after Christmas and another lockdown, once again he was dismissed as "fear monger" - he was right about that too.

The last time I listened to him on The Stand was during August, where he was warning that we still had a way to go and that vaccines were not going to be the silver bullet and that Covid was going to spread handily through school going aged children: Autumn and Winter wasn't going to be a cake walk. And that all felt like a message very much at odds with what government, NPHET and other talking heads were saying and I even thought surely there's a chance we can avoid it this time again. But once again, he was right.

Okay, you can point at predictions he has made that haven't come to pass. But show me one person who hasn't got it wrong at one stage during all this?

He's not infallible, but, fck me, his ratio of calling the prevailing big picture a month or two before it happens is as good as anyone's during this time.

My problem with Ryan is that he was the regular guest for Dunphy to talk about Covid. So my problem is less with Ryan and more with Dunphy's podcast (which this thread is about).

Ryan did get a lot right. He predicted that a highly infectious virus was going to spread in a pandemic. To my ear he solely focused on what would happen with more relaxing of restrictions and greater restrictions were needed to bring infections down. Not rocket science, the one interesting thing he did say was about a possible connection between Covid during pregnancy and autism (something he never backed up and was and is still pretty out there).

Eamon's podcast mostly failed in having a regular rational guest on that gave a "living with" perspective. Mostly all he gave was Ryan's perspective of virus annihilation that hardly took in what that means for society.

He was an odd guest to have on as a regular commentator in my opinion.

I think you give Ryan absolutely zero credit there. Fair enough it may appear that the thrust of what he was saying was often in hindsight blindingly obvious, but, let's be frank here, people often thought he was a loon for saying it at the time, repeatedly.

And you can't just handwave away his ability to actually call a spade a spade in this regard; there's talking heads out there in the media that haven't been right even once throughout this whole thing.

It's also true to say that he focuses heavily on the restrictions side of things and often his proposals can lack coherence or even plausibility, but, in terms of being able to forecast, in general terms, where things are heading over the short to medium term is often surprisingly accurate. That's his big plus IMO.

Called the second lockdown correctly. Called the third correctly. Called the Autumn wave correctly - especially in regards to how the spread in schools is playing a part. Oh, but that was all obvious you say... Hmmm, a bit of revisionism going on there to be honest. He got flack from all sides for pointing out those "obvious" turns of events. At what point do people start to think that, for all his faults, maybe he actually has some foresight?

He is repetitive, he is one note, but I think he's still worth listening to because he's better than most at calling it before it happens. And the news is often negative - so that's why people hate his guts.

In terms of other Covid guests, he has Paul Moynagh on quite frequently - more than Thomas Ryan as of late - and he's very calm and measured.

He also had an absolute car crash of an interview with John McGurk back at the start of the year, where McGurk got basic facts and figures wrong - the population of Ireland for example - provided no workable coherent solutions and all and all showed himself to know precisely nothing about what he was talking about.

I guess in a perfect world Éamonn would have on all these guests telling us that we should do this and that in order to live with it, but the truth is nobody really knows. We're trying our best at the moment and we haven't a notion how that's going to turn out, so pardon me if I'm a bit sceptical of any guest that may appear with all the answers in that respect. I'd like nothing more for a guest to appear that would credibly say everything is going to be plain sailing from here on out - but it's not much good to me if it isn't the truth.

Post edited by Arghus on

• Advertisement

Good to have Liam back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Listened to the football pod earlier with Brady and Giles. In fairness to the three of them, they gave Kenny credit for the style of play and bringing in new faces.

I thought Brady was quite careful in his comments - repeating that he wants to see Ireland beat the type of opponents we'll play in the Nations League, which I think is a fair point. Giles was of the view that holding back the contract would keep a bit of pressure on Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Tesco have been replaced with multiple NowTV ads which is a pity

Very cringey ad readings from Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Does that work? So when you download podcasts there's no ads?

Edit: unless they are part of the podcast itself, obviously...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I wonder did Tesco not renew the sponsorship or did NowTV make a better offer

Fair dues to Eamo, he's made a success of it. I'm not a fan of some of the guests but I listen most days and generally enjoy it.

He is part of the Acast creator network now so ads should vary week to week and depend on location.

Presumably there'll be cross promotion with other Irish Acast podcasts like Dave McWilliams and Blindboy.

Tomas Ryan talking nothing but sense a few days back 🤐

Oh jesus. The acast recommends ads have get to recommend anything I'd want to listen to.. And your ones voice grates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sounds like he has a gun to his head reading out "I love the rugby" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamo sounds like he's reading that at gunpoint.

They got a good run out of Tesco in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Every time Eamon quotes the Chris Jons line in full, “right wing hacks, journalists and after dinner speakers” listeners should record themselves blowing a vovosala and email it in to him, ffs 🤦‍♂️

I’d say Chris Jons is not far away bashing stoving in Eamons head

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

I wonder what the difference in coin will be like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Used it twice in the first 5 mins even after John's has asked him not too in a previous pod!

Makes me laugh at this stage so I don't mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

"our aim is to stop one thing that's worse than anything which is groupthink"

Dunphy actually says this without a hint of irony on the latest podcast, after Tomas Ryan has been on for the thousandth time this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

T Ryan singing the same old tune (cancel Xmas, long Covid, WHY IS NOONE LISTENING TO ME,..). His awkwardly robotic thanking at the end of Eamo and the ensuing roll call of journalists that he endorses was another bizarre moment. Caused me a quick google which led straight to his vanity TCD website. Now I’m not suggesting Tomas is autistic but he’s certainly high up on one of the spectrums. Can.you.only. imagine being married to that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

What if he is autistic, he is highly intelligent and educated and for that reason is on the cutting edge of science, unlike you of course who are nothing but an ignorant Gobshite no wonder the world is fd. 🙄

Not acceptable. What is wrong with boards these days? It used be moderated well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Still Ill

We didn't know how good we had it with Tesco. These new ads are painful. The ones in the middle just come on when someone is mid-sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

At least Blindboy announces the adds with his occarina pause, maybe Eamon will adopt a similar trick to trigger when the ads are played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Concerning to see a post like that on display for 4 days. I've just reported, it, suspect you did also.

Advertisement