Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah, if Ireland's a soft touch. What a sick joke this is, from start to finish. The place is fucked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So, no issue with anyone living here, so long as they are legal. Even if we have no idea who any of them are? What about criminals? Sex offenders? Drug dealers? Fraudsters?

They are here legally because the Irish people voted on EU travel regulations and we are part of the EU. The CTA has been in place in one form or another for nearly a century.

You only have issues with people living here illegally, working and contributing, not committing crime, other then[sic] being illegal?

They committed a crime when they either entered this country illegally, or stayed on illegally. If they're working they're also doing so illegally. If they're not paying tax, which without official documents is a tad hard to do they're tax evaders too, also illegal. You might start to notice a pattern here.

But no, we are asked to ignore a number of consistent wilful acts of illegality over many years and are then asked that we should reward this? And you don't see any issues here? Never mind that unlike our membership of the EU and all that entails the Irish electorate have never been asked to vote on this and given all the parties save for a few crosseyed nutters with four deluded voters between them are all in general agreement we won't be asked. As I pointed out before in this thread, when the Irish electorate were asked about a large migration on the back of a legal at the time babies for passports loophole, the same Irish electorate voted overwhelmingly in favour of closing that loophole, something some muppets in government want to revisit and open it again. Without going to the polls of course, because they don't seem to have confidence that the Irish electorate would vote the "correct" way if asked. .

I do love how you frame those here legally from the EU and UK as potential whataboutist criminals, sex fiends, druggies and mountebanks(you missed terrorists), but frame the lovely illegals, sorry undocumented, as hard working, crime free contributing angels. Save for the pesky issue with legal residence. And my priorities are skewed?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,936 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If people do not agree with this, and I have reservations about it myself, there is absolutely NO political party in the country willing to debate or challenge it is there? So no opposition at all then.

Maybe this is a thank you to the EU for supporting us regarding Brexit, but that should not result in us welcoming one and all, we are EU members and deserve the support of the EU community in any event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While the higher numbers of ethnic areas are in play in the UK, though are growing in urban Irish cities too, easy benefits compared to Ireland? Are you joking? The jobseekers/dole alone in the UK is under half of the same payment in Ireland. Disability benefit can be almost impossible to get unless you are wheeled into the dole office as a living brain in a tank and again the payments are lower. The state pension is lower too. As are things like carers and rent allowances. Poverty UK scale could come as a real shock to Irish people and their perception of poverty. Ireland has much better social supports. Something BTW I have no objection to. I'd actually increase it in some quarters if going to the right people. My only issue as usual with Ireland are the horrible inefficiencies in it. NB I reference largely non contributary social supports in this. Other EU nations can be better than Ireland as far as unemployment benefits after you've lost your job and paid into the system.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,936 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just a guess that EU has been pushing mass immigration for a good while now. Germany and France pulling back, and we all know about Hungary and other Eastern EU countries.

Maybe Ireland want to be patted on the head again for being so good. Or something.

Ah yeah, of course you have no issue at all with thousands of people living here when we don't know who they are 🙄

At least anyone here illegally is looking after themselves, working and making money, spending money and contributing.

I know I would prefer people here who work rather then the thousands that sit taking government money for nothing!

My priorities are fine 😉

Nothing at all, we have our own immigration policies!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

It does not really matter what the reality of the situation is so long as the perception remains the same. Which it will for a very long time.

Smugglers and migrants recognise the ease of access to hotel accommodation, and in particular, getting employment

It's also extremely easy to live cash in hand in the UK. Look at the Grenfell tower fire to see what life is already like in London and the comments made by the French Interior minister.

The role of Ethnic enclaves still play a colossal role that will easily outweigh whatever Ireland could come up with.

Given that the UK Labour party loves Islamic people for the easy votes you would expect that they will be happy to encourage more people to arrive. Not to mention that they anyone who really tries to investigate issues within these communities will inevitably be hit by the power of Racist accusations. See: The Islamic grooming gangs

The UK is predicted to have 16.5% of it's population become followers of Islam by about 2050. It's much easier for a lot of these migrants to have a long term future in the UK where they will gain a large political influence as time marches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

They have, pouring huge sums into it, even paying the journal to write favourably about it.The latest migration pact is just migrant quotas repackaged, something the EU is keen on doing, like repackaging the rejected EU constitution as Lisbon and disguising its intent so there would be no calls for referendums on it. Except in Ireland....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If it gets a reputation as a soft touch?!

We're long past that at this stage unfortunately thanks to McEntee and O Gorman.

One of these illegals was interviewed earlier and said its great now she can travel home to see her parents and have a holiday, she should have bloody travelled home when her visa expired instead of breaking the law in our country.

Its a pity we don't have an agency like ICE here to find these people who overstay and deport them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

"they work here and pay tax"

How can they pay tax if they're illegal?

And even if they are paying tax, they're mostly low paid jobs so not paying any tax anyways!

I'm actually disgusted that illegals can come here and take our houses and services. There will be tens of thousands who apply. Imagine we chucked all the lawbreakers out we would free up a years worth of building houses overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

The day is not even over and an earlier story on this announcement in the Indo is now nowhere to be seen.

Looked at Main page nothing - bit suprising.  

Clicked News, again nothing.

Clicked Irish News and again nothing.

Stories I saw several days ago are still there. Has the obligation to report been met, box ticked while leaving important news such as Rod Stewart's Dublin house purchase still available under the News tab.

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

They are taking up houses and rooms that should be occupied by people here legally, paying their fair share of taxes, which illegal immigrants do not.

Why should a low paid legal immigrant have to contribute more to the running of the country then an illegal immigrant who uses all the same services, such as the roads, buses, schools, hospitals etc.?

What do you mean? They're not commuting from Mongolia.

A low paid immigrant here, most likely pays no tax. If they're that low paid.

An illegal immigrant pays taxes on everything they buy, plus their landlord (if legal) pays tax on the rent they pay him. If they need medical care, they pay it themselves because they don't have access to medical cards or HAP or any other state supports. They pay for everything they need.

There's plenty living here legally Who contribute minus figures to the running of the country.

So what housing are they taking?

not state housing, they're not entitled.

not private renting paid by HAP, they're not entitled.

fairly doubtful they are buying new houses from under other buyers.

they're not paying the huge rents that the international REIT s are renting, way too expensive.

So, what housing are they taking up?

And nearly all here illegally will contribute minus figures.

'If they need medical care, they pay it themselves because they don't have access to medical cards or HAP or any other state supports.'

You say this as if it's some sort of positive. You are aware of the point of socialized Healthcare right? Do they pay the salaries of the doctors, nurses and other healthcare/support staff when they seek out this medical care. Because if they don't they're contributing less then the low paid immigrant who is contributing towards that.

They pay for everything they need.

No they don't, see above. I presume they need a doctor, but they aren't paying for them. And even so, most people pay for what they need plus towards the needs of others. This is what a welfare state is. And for it to run functionally, everyone needs to contribute what has been mandated by the government. An illegal person doesn't do this, as they aren't mandated to pay anything, and can't, as they are here illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

The top stories at the moment on Google news has one with some fella sacked for selling too many lipsticks! This scheme didn't make it, n a minor detail that the CSO has said there is an extra 250k in Ireland compared to previously thought wasnt worth a mention either!!

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMia2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9uZXdzL2J1c2luZXNzLzIwMjEvMTIwMi8xMjY0NTE4LW1hbi1maXJlZC1mb3Itc2VsbGluZy10b28tbWFueS1saXBzdGlja3MtbG9zZXMtd3JjLWNhc2Uv0gEfaHR0cHM6Ly9hbXAucnRlLmllL2FtcC8xMjY0NTE4Lw?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

• Advertisement

Why do you assume they don't pay for a doctor? I have never been to a doctor that didn't want to be paid!

Why would illegals contribute minus figures? Compared to people here that pay for nothing and the state pay for everything?

They don't contribute the same to the running of the state to the same effect that a legal immigrant does, or a working Irish person.

'Why do you assume they don't pay for a doctor?'

You said ''If they need medical care, they pay it themselves because they don't have access to medical cards or HAP or any other state supports.'

This is not true. They will potentially be using public services such as public hospitals, ran by public servants, who are paid by the government through taxation, taxation that they will not be fully contributing their fair share of. As such, in contrary to your ridiculous notion that they'll be 'paying it themselves', the cost will be heavily subsidised by the Irish taxpayer.

They will be using public services such as roads, buses, trains, making use of street lighting, maybe using public toilets, and other public services that they will not be contributing towards as they should.

Lol, not paying for street lighting! 😂😂.

Point out any public toilets anywhere??????

If they are paying for public transport or their own tax and insurance on a vehicle, then they are paying their own way.

I pay all taxes I am liable for in this country. I get my teeth cleaned once a year, my eyes tested once very two years.

if an illegal immigrants needs medical care, if course they pay, how else do You think they get care?

there are many many legal immigrants that don't work or pay a cent towards the running of this country. can you please point out how an illegal immigrant is contributing less then an immigrant who contributes minus amounts?

Yes street lighting. Laugh all you want. Those things need to be paid for. Your blase attitude towards taxation maybe explains your position.

https://www.pee.ie/ - knock yourself out.

They do not pay for the full cost. They are heavily subsidised by the state which they do not fully contribute tax towards. As such, they do not 'pay for it themselves' as you suggested.

'I pay all taxes I am liable for in this country. I get my teeth cleaned once a year, my eyes tested once very two years.'

Fair play to you. Not sure if the relevance.

'there are many many legal immigrants that don't work or pay a cent towards the running of this country. can you please point out how an illegal immigrant is contributing less then an immigrant who contributes minus amounts?'

A legal immigrant who doesn't work will pay the same in taxes as an illegal immigrant who does work.

And I never said they'd be contributing less than a legal immigrant contributing minus figures. I said both will be contributing minus figures. Maybe you should get the aul eyes tested more.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is the Irish government doing this. Nothing to do with the EU.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What housing are they taking?

Where do you think they're living now?

Well unfortunately, the prsi I pay isn't worth a crap. Doesn't pay for feck all.

Do you have any thing that says illegal immigrants contribute less then legal immigrants here that contribute nothing? I doubt it.

So, yes I prefer people living here to look after themselves, and pay their own way. All people, Irish or otherwise, don't care where they are from or their background, so long as they want to live and work and contribute here.

I think that's reasonable. Don't you?

Do you have any thing that says illegal immigrants contribute less then legal immigrants here that contribute nothing? I doubt it.

I never said that. Second time I've pointed this out to you.

'So, yes I prefer people living here to look after themselves, and pay their own way. All people, Irish or otherwise, don't care where they are from or their background, so long as they want to live and work and contribute here.

I think that's reasonable. Don't you?'

I believe everyone should pay their fair share towards the welfare state that Ireland is, which illegal immigrants do not. And should pay fully towards the usage of public services the same as anyone here legally does, which illegal immigrants also do not. I believe people should be law abiding, which illegal immigrants are not.

Well at least the government are trying to get some of those illegals into the system to pay their own way, officially! 😁

• Advertisement

<deleted> Ignore

Advertisement