Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I am taking the properties that are vacant and holiday homes out of my math. So I was working with the actually number of houses out there in circulation. As I pointed out we cant use holiday homes as they are not going to be available for sale or rent. Same goes with vacant houses. The only reason why someone would have a house lying vacant these days is if the property is inhabitable or if the house is in an area where there is little or poor supporting infrastructure. You only have to look at selling and rental prices to see it would be madness not to have a property up for sale or rent with the current returns. So I have taken your logic out of the math altogether as there is no point taking about properties that are not going to be used for housing our population.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭hometruths

You were the one that brought up the topic. Far from using the opportunity so I could talk about it again, my immediate reply was:

That entire subject has been banned. Not just the reasons. So probably best to steer clear of it.

Stop misrepresenting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I see your point, and it's fair how you calculate household size. But it's different how CSO calculate it.

As you say: "as the average household size was 2.75 in 2016 and already as early as 2018 it had dropped to 2.6"

You would never get close to those numbers, if for 2016 and for 2018 would use the same methodology. In fact if it would be used the same methodology, it would likely show household size slight increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The irony of the Newstalk presenters lamenting the anti-business sentiment growing in Ireland - ivory towers and all that. Maybe the reason there is a growing disillusionment, particularly in younger people, is in fact justified.

6th most expensive capital city in the world to rent - Dublin! To put this shambolic state of affairs in context, the top 5 list is made up of the following cities; London, Monaco, Washington, Hong Kong, Singapore. The IDA will likely spin this as being due to Ireland being the home of financial services, big pharma and big tech companies which puts us as a world leader able to hold our own against these other cities. Narrow-focused BS of course.

I said before that corporate Ireland will probably be the penny dropper which leads to real action being taken to materially decrease the cost of housing once companies put expansion plans on hold due to the housing crisis. It is tragic that the citizens cries weren't loud enough to take meaningful, corrective action to stop housing costs increasing so dramatically post-2013, but politicians will reap what they sow at the ballot box and with corporates voting with their feet when it comes to investing in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

"but politicians will reap what they sow at the ballot box"

There are a large number of people who are alright Jack, thank you very much. You won't hear them complain that their house has doubled in value in the last number of years. I'm not saying it's right, but I wouldn't be so sure about FFG getting too much of a kicking. I think their handling of covid will have more of a bearing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Ffg used to battle for an overall majority, we are now at a point that together they can't reach an overall majority.

Yes there are many happy, but increasingly there are many with children who are getting hammered by the status quo

The numbers game is changing fast

With the greatest of respect I don't think we can use 2.5 on the strength of your claim that you "can conservatively say 2.5 is a much more accurate measure for household size than 2.75", but fair enough you have quoted a credible source saying 2.6 so let's use that.

Total housing capacity = 2.6 x 2,052,429 = 5,336,315 people

Total current population = 5,011,500 

Capacity for 5,336,315 people minus 5,011,500 total people = 324,815 spare capacity or 124,928 spare houses (324,815/2.6).

It is important to note that these are all habitable houses, they're not counted as housing stock unless they are habitable.

You seem to be saying this entire 125k (and t of spare capacity should be disregarded because it is currently "unavailable to buy or rent for different reasons" and you proceed with some calculations to find the "total stock of housing available to buy or rent = 1921503 now" but that does not make any sense in the context of projecting housing supply over the next decade.

The only properties that should be discounted are those holiday homes that are Section 48, because legally they cannot be sold or rented as regular housing stock. I've no idea how many that is but there is no way it is 38,971. Even if it as high as 25,000 that still leaves us with 100,000 spare capacity.

The reasons that these properties are not available to buy or sell today are irrelevant, in relation to ten year supply and demand projections.

The fact is they exist and provide a represent a fairly substantial stock of potential supply.

Inarguably a property in the existing housing stock that is currently underutilised, irrespective of the reasons why, faces significantly fewer barriers to becoming active housing supply within the next ten years than a property that is yet to built.

Again this is repeating a mistake of 07/08 - forecasting future housing supply requirements without any reference or thought to how the current stock is being utilised and how that might change over the forecasting period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 68,673 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eh, holiday home stock is not of any use in a housing crisis - someone with a family looking for a house near their employment etc is not going to find a 2 bed cottage with a kitchenette, in the middle of nowhere, and with no internet connectivity of any type suitable. And that's the bulk of holiday homes.

All holiday home stock has to be excluded from calculating available units; because they aren't and never will be active housing supply. Even if there was political will to force them on the open market, virtually nobody would want them as a full time residence

Ironically, the s48 ones are generally much more suitable to be used as regular housing and can't. Modern builds in bigger areas which would have fibre, public transport, etc etc.

And the key for me is that it is only going one way - support for FF and FG will just continue to plummet as more younger people reach voting age and older people die off. It would take a radical re-shaping of FF and FG to stem their decline to small parties. The status quo (or even more of what we have had the last 10 years) is going to decimate FF and FG. Housing is a massive contributor to this. I feel there's almost a refusal to accept that things could change in Ireland; that FF and/or FG would be in government in some form forever, so that our politics, society and economy would be approximately trending in the one direction, no matter if it's FF or FG in power.

But the voting demographic trends, largely reflecting home ownership versus renting demographics, indicate dramatic change is already building; remember there is a demographic that likes higher house prices and a demographic that wants the complete opposite. While we onboard the crash demographic into the system by enabling them to purchase their house and have a stake in society, this puts a new voter in the camp of those that want high house prices. This has been how things have worked the past few decades in Ireland, but the last 10 years has shifted this trend significantly which will have ramifications, significant ones, in our politics going forward. With housing costs soaring even further during the pandemic, this has brought the changes forward for me by quite a few years, to the point where I think if we had an election tomorrow we would see FF and FG almost wiped out. Emigration won't be there to save the establishment parties this time, given the pandemic has upended any trends in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

It will take a few more years for the Chinese property market to fully crash and its impact on the Chinese (and wider global) economy to manifest, this isn't something that will bear fruit in the next 6 months. I mean; who can claim to be a credible observer and think that a communist state can thrive with capitalist policies? It is a total sham and is going to be devastating for the Chinese; I just hope we don't get shafted in some way from the fallout.

Not sure what your point is? I am assuming that you are pointing out that proportionally, the highest holiday homes are found in the most popular tourist locations, but that's kind of blindingly obvious. Is there some sort of gotcha I'm missing in the fact these counties represent 60.4% of all holiday homes?

I wouldn't like to misrepresent you, so can you spell it out?

Again, a totally expected refusal to engage in a sensible discussion.

the last graphic you threw up hastily to prove a point, left you looking rather stupid, after you had to concede that you didn’t mean what you said, or what the graph said either.

Would they be of any use in a WFH environment. Some great towns with lots of housing close to Cork, Limerick and Galway

😘

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The government has already deliberately run two foreign banks out of the country - Rabo and Ulster - so a bit late with the trying to signal it's a good place to do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I can't recall if it was this thread, or another, but somone posted a link claiming one-off house prices has risen about 21%, which would be something like 5.5 times as much as the national average as per CSO in May, so very stupid assumptions if real. Half a brain would tell you limiting supply of something a lot of people value highly will lead to prices rising.

Clearly you don't live in Dublin, where there are massive amounts of vacant properties lying empty, worth a fortune

Probably the mica affected homes thread if you get where I'm going

This comes up time and time again, but it is nonsense. The idea that every single holiday home is some basic summerhouse down some boreen and as such should be excluded from the housing stock is absurd and demonstrably so.

Take a look at the 2016 report, at which time nationally there were 61,204 holiday homes, compared to the most recent figure of 38,971. So the total holiday home stock has reduced by 22,233 in 5 years. How did that happen?

Sure there will have been some obsolescence but not 22,000. Obviously the majority of these buildings have been reclassified in some other way, most likely because they have been sold or rented as family homes. i.e became active housing supply.

That's exactly what you would expect in a time there has been a reversal in the long term trend, and now there is net internal migration away from Dublin due to being priced out of that market. This was observed long before COVID and WFH. 

I'd hazard a guess they've been misclassified in to the "unoccupied" category. There's no reason that many would have been sold in that short a period of time. It has to be a data error of some kind

The Geodirectory figures are far, far, far less useful and valid than you think they are.

Could it be a tax fiddle, reclassify as family home and rent out at holiday periods.

Most holiday homes could be let out without ever advertising on a public platform

• Advertisement

There's also plenty of people who decamped to their holiday homes - if they had proper internet that is - in March 2020 and are still there.

Anyway, what is the proposal to get holiday homes sold as normal residential houses? Punitive tax? Not going to go down well. SFs former leader was notable for having a holiday home in Donegal; its not just a posh voter problem.

Advertisement