Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I am making an app to see my GP 1st thing Monday morning. I have history of MH struggles and Myself and my Other half know the signs. Its been years and years but this has been such a poxy week. Public health is their primary care he said, they dgaf about anything except covering their arses after failing the healthcare system for years.ĵ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No again. It does affect me. I'm not living under lockdown though. Neither are you. A lockdown is a restriction on movement. The 2km, 5km and countywide restrictions were lockdowns.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Three month delay with the "Omicron" booster conveniently gives them another excuse to keep people locked down or under heavy restrictions.

The Omicron variant is mild. Doctor who discovered it said so, and that she didn't understand the scaremongering coming from US and Europe about it.

We said from the beginning: this will NEVER end if you keep complying. They're making a fortune and moving things along towards a new system. "The New Normal", remember.

Stop complying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Leaving the country has become a lot more difficult tbf. That's a form of restriction on movement.

• Advertisement

WHS ^^^

Don't suffer alone. Talk to someone. Seriously.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Is Ireland the first country in the world to introduce restrictions for no apparent reason? Hospitalisations stable and falling, ICU same.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Vaccinated30, I'm glad your being proactive and making the appointment. Wishing you the very best of luck.

Titan18, your feelings are fully valid and there is no point in pretending everything is fine when it's not - because since March 2020 it very much hasn't been*. Your mental health is extremely important and feelings of being defeated and questioning (in a serious nature) whether life is worth living is not healthy or a good mindset to be in. Not everyone has easy access to mental health help but if you (or anyone) feels that way, please seek help. Please.

As for what you said about "save some 80 year olds". Could you not use the argument about "some pub owners"? That's not me suggesting you could or should but I find it interesting how people have somehow decided it's okay for anyone elderly or immunocompromised to get sick and die so long as us young and healthy are fine. Again, though, not suggesting that is what you are saying

*This is a conversation I think will need to be had post-pandemic. I get the feeling some people think the world was perfect pre-Covid and will be perfect again post-Covid. Mental health for the last few decades (or forever?) has been a serious issue in this country and across the globe, so I don't usually like to try to belittle that. That is not me suggesting anyone here is doing that btw

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Answer me this - hospital and ICU cases have been dropping this week. What do you think of the CMO (an unelected, unasked for) trying to cancel children and Christmas? With our hospital and ICU numbers, our vaccination rate?

This panto style **** of “it’s a lockdown- oh no it’s not” really needs to end, it’s tiring. If people have lost their jobs, income, living standard security because of Tony H/NPHET then it needs to be called out. NPHET HAVE TO GO - don’t you dare come to us asking for more than we’ve already given if you are going to allow the same self obsessed vacuous **** dictate our public health policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

its likely you’re imagining a lot of this perceived tyranny that’s upsetting you. So it might be useful for you to outline what’s upset you so very much.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

On a positive note, I’ve noticed a massive change in opinion amongst people both in real life and online. The winds are changing. There’s only so much more of this charade they can keep going until something seriously gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,176 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are sport events full capacity still?

You must've missed my posts criticising the decisions made tonight and previously.

I just wish people wouldn't compare what we have now and lockdown. They're worlds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Have noticed a bit of a mood change as well.

Fingers crossed that more people start to cop on. It's the only way out of this dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

NHS will be plagued by Covid ‘for at least five years’ Vaccines may be needed for a decade or more, say Downing St advisers...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ditto and the majority of people I know throughout this pandemic were playing the game and going along with all the advice. What I'm hearing now is no more, we've done what we were told, we've had enough from these pricks. The most vocal of those types are with one exception people who followed the government advice to a tee. These are not rebellious types by nature. More compliant if anything, but I suppose everyone has a limit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

To me, it's simple math. How many people are you saving (and the composition of that group is important) Vs how many lives are you ruining. I was very supportive of lockdown at the start of all this as none of us knew anything and it was definitely best to err on the side of caution, but for the last 6 months imo, we are curtailing more life than we're saving. We've spent almost 2 years now making life very difficult to actually live for everyone, and whilst a period of it was very justified, it isn't anymore imo. Anyone who wants to be vaccinated, can be free to take it and it should be very much advised for elderly and vulnerable people, much like the flu vaccine, but for others, let them live. We should put more resources into the health service to cater for this, or better allocate the existing resources, and maybe even setting up some covid only treatment centres would be worthwhile.

Things like covid certs, constant lockdown and fear (this is the more troublesome one imo as people are not doing things cos they're afraid there'll be restrictions and they're financially out) and mandatory vaccinations should all be off the table. We need to just go on with this, do our best to protect those who need protection but let people go when those protections are hurting more lives than they save.

First, let's have some clarity from you. "A relatively restriction free summer", "zero restrictions the last few months". Do you stand by these statements? That will determine my future responses to you.

50% I believe. Not sure what the story still where tickets are already sold. Haven't seen anything definitive there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

But we have to because the government and NPHET have decided to effectively close or seriously cripple businesses for no reason other than a seriously not fit for purpose health system and Tony’s own ego

To be fair to Raind, he has been critical of NPHET for a few decisions they've made lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Thanks for explaining yourself. I completely understand what you're saying, even if I don't agree on a lot of it - especially the lives being saved VS lives being ruined. This is completely anecdotal but I know of no one whose life has been ruined by this. That isn't to say that there aren't people who have been, I'm sure many thousands of people in this country feel they are at the point where their life is currently ruined. I also know of people who have had coronavirus and been extremely sick from it, and I know at least one person close to a family member of mine who died. I myself had coronavirus and was lucky enough to be post vaccine and wasn't even remotely sick bar one night of fever. It had a severe impact on my mental health as I had spent so long abiding by all the rules and being known for being extremely cautious, and yet I got it. I have thankfully recovered mentally from it having going to my doctor and looking at appropriate ways of dealing with that, but it wasn't easy. Post recovery I spent countless days unable to get out of bed, spending most of the day asleep as I couldn't handle my thoughts awake. So I completely understand that coronavirus is more than a problem for physical health, it is mental health too. I just feel sometimes it's only one part of mental health that is the focus of it. I fear Long Covid and the effect it will have on people who have had it, including me. But that's my opinion, yours' and others' are or may be completely different and that's okay. I appreciate your civility in the answer and I hope I was as civil back

What I will say is that it's Friday night so if you (and anyone can) reading this is able to choose to forget about coronavirus tonight, do. I'll be following my own advice and logging off here now. Have a nice night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Basically you follow Dr Tony, Michael, Stevie D, a few old ones, one's who've diseases, one's who have loads of money and are settled down(IE They aren't loosing a job and have a partner) and few one's who are afraid of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I've been pretty critical of NPHET all the way through and their kite flying and delaying the country reopening till almost Winter which has meant, inevitably, that restrictions happen.

You can see what they're at, they want the numbers to drop about 25% before Omicron takes hold (if it does) as that could push R up enough that case numbers explode (and hospitalisations will follow).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Hard on people no doubt but Covid isn't going anywhere unfortunately. Time for citizens to toughen up and realise this is a long term battle that won't be won in a year or two but hopefully over the coming decade or so.

Masks, social distancing, rolling restrictions etc.. are the new norm now.

Advertisement