Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Very disappointed to not get at least a point last night. United were there for the taking. When we went 1 up we completely sat back and invited them on to equalise and again when we equalised we could have pushed on but we didn't. Echoing most other people here Auba for me was the most disappointing player on the pitch, his form has been awful, has to be dropped with either Lacca starting or one of the young lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Auba offers zilch and has been the same for a long time now. Not sure whats up with him but he looks nowhere near regaining any type of form.

Maybe a stint on the bench might reignite his desire for the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don’t believe we’re improving. The same old failures are there. Lost to all last season’s top four sides yet again. Players seem to be in awe of their opponents and fall asleep at times watching them. The only excuse being offered is that we have young players. That will not be the case soon. Other teams with less in their arsenals have got points at OT, Anfield etc. Why sit back when you go a goal up?

I really don’t believe Arteta is the man to move us forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

When is his contract up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You guys need 2 to new CF's ,

You manged to score two away to Untied but with a little more up front that could have been 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Would agree that Auba could deserve a bench or two, might wake him up. But no to lacca playing. He is leaving, should be nothing more then a 10/15 sub on. Hate trying to have faith in guys that reject contracts from the club eg lacca & Eddie

You do know most of the league lose to the top 3 everytime they play them (Man city, Chelsea, Man United). Only one of the games this season against the top 4 have been at home too.

We had beaten United away the last two times we played them before last night. Last night wasn't our night. You definitely are the king of negative comments 🤣

What I’m looking for is improvement and I’m not seeing it. Loads of teams get points from matches against the top teams but rarely us. We were hammered at Anfield and City and beaten at home by Chelsea. Smaller clubs get points at United too.

I’ll be positive when I see positive things happening but until then I won’t pretend that things are improving. We should be aiming higher than than not getting battered at OT so I’m not happy with last night. I have little or no faith in Arteta’s process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The last two seasons we were around mid table at this point of the season, we are 5th and a point off 4th

Looks like improvement to me

Well if you’re happy with performances like last night then go for it. Is there a prize for fifth? Oh yeah the Europa league where might might get a few results before succumbing to another average team.

Jaysus, I didn’t think there’d be that much in it, especially last season

‘22: 24pts

’21: 14pts

’20: 19pts

Do you seriously see no improvement?? None at all??

None. We will always beat the little teams (well usually) and amass points but that stops when we meet the good teams ( United is not a good team imo). I think we’ll finish where we are now ie 5th place. That might be an improvement but our football has not improved imo. We are not over-achieving. We have 23 points out of a possible 42.

I don't know if your expectations are realistic to be honest. Last year we had a good record against the top teams and terrible against the lesser teams. U really need to look at the league without the top 3. Thats where to focus. Until we finish top of that then don't worry about the top 3. Trying to rebuild a club with a younger side and I see looks of improvement.

Only reason we lost like night was individual bad judgement and Auba missing a sitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That's a fair point, with Laca likely to be off at the end of the season he's not the long term answer so there's an argument he shouldn't start. However, looking at the here & now & whos available and their ability to contribute & the fact he's a paid employee I think we should play the best we have in each position at any given time & IMO he's worth a run ahead of Auba and the others as he has proven ability at this level. I'd drop auba altogether though & let the younger lads come off the bench to get minutes at this level.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I would prefer to judge us on how we play against the best, not the scrapings of the barrel.

For the 2017/18 season we amassed 63 points.

2018/19 we amassed 70 points.

2019/20 we amassed 56 points.

2020/2021 we amassed 61 points.

And it’s not all about the points if you were enjoying the football but when I look back at how we used to play with fast passing moves and compare it to the sideways and backwards then I’m not enjoying it nearly as much. I really don’t like this slow build up football under Arteta. So I don’t believe we’re improving.

I agree 100% but I question the effort and actually desire of a player who is leaving. On the other side of that he is looking for a move and has to play well so I'm stuck in the middle really.

Couldn't hurt to start him against Everton but that might completely kill off Auba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think Auba is done at this level anyway TBH. He's a shadow of the striker he used to be.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Those days are gone Tayto, long gone. Hoping that we will suddenly play beautiful football again is a pipe dream. Wenger days are long gone unfortunately. Got to take what's in front of us which is a slowly improving young squad

But it’s not improving. We’re not getting better results, our football is mostly boring and predictable and not great to watch. Arteta brought little or nothing from the City set-up that would make me believe we are improving.

If only Arteta could have brought the city players we would be flying 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought Arsenal where good last night ,

They where away at old Trafford and where the better team ,

If they had a good CF & a proper good WF they would have won ,

Maguire got away with a stone wall penalty , its frustrating because although it was a pen at least Oedegaard tried to play the ball but Maguire just clearly pulled your RB to impede him clear as day & got away with it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

How VAR didn't call the referee's attention to that was disgusting. Stonewall Pen.

Who do you support?

I definitely think we've improved most of the high earners are gone from the squad the real joggers, we have the youngest squad in the league and like it or not City, Chelsea and Liverpool are in a league of there own and we're not catching them this season , last year we were getting hockeyed by the likes of Villa

Bar a crazy game at the start of the season against brentford when we were riddled with covid we've competed in every game against ever team outside the top 3 and only lost 1 other game (which was caused by a stupid error) which can happen in any game , where we sit the other side of xmas will tell everything

the transfer team have done some great work last summer and only blot on the copy was not getting in another midfielder , this was espcially shown up when Xhaka picked up his injury

The players only made a token plea to the referee. Had they surrounded him like Maguire and the United players did for their penalty he might have looked at it pitchside.

• Advertisement

I disagree fully. All penalty box plays are reviewed by VAR whether players protest or not.

Contact started outside the box. VAR couldn’t give that

West Ham giving Chelsea a right run for their money.

I know they are but we’ve had many clear examples of Arsenal not getting these decisions and I’m suggesting that we don’t protest enough and maybe if we did highlight how we are treated by VAR it might change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see Ben White making it at Arsenal. He doesn't have the desire, physical attributes, or concentration needed to be a top defender. Reminds me of Callum Chambers.

West Ham beat Chelsea. No lying down and giving up by them....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

White is about a hundred times the player Chambers is. Going to be exceptional and the perfect partner for Gabriel.

I'd agree White is way better than either Chambers or Holding much more confident on the ball and seems to have fit in straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The delayed 2020/21 Ladies FA Cup final - Arsenal v. Chelsea at Wembley Stadium - is on today [KO 2pm, live on BBC One].

Ireland's Katie McCabe likely to be in action for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Man City/Pep, Liverpool/Klopp, Chelsea/Tuchel, Man U/Rangnick, Spurs/Conte. These are who we’re supposed to be competing with. They all have world class managers. We have Arteta. There is zero ambition at this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What has Rangnick won for him to be classed as a World Class Manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Fair enough. He’s very experienced though and highly regarded, something Arteta is not. Imo Arteta should be managing in the Championship and work his way up. He should never have been considered for the Arsenal job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tomorrow is a must win now. 7th behind United and Spurs who both sacked managers this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Ah now, you know what he meant. The games against the likes of Liverpool, City etc. are writeoffs with the odd surprise results so they're now really "must win games".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Agreed on the Auba front, been saying it for a while. He has been brutal and really should be nowhere near the starting 11 on his form that has bee pretty tragic for the past season and a half. I'd rather see Martinelli up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Auba dropped thankfully. Martinelli getting a proper chance in the side is good news.

Tierney also back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Via the BBC

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta makes four changes on his return to his former home. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is on the bench as Alexandre Lacazette starts up top and captains the side.

Bukayo Saka starts in place of Emile Smith Rowe, Kieran Tierney is in for Nuno Tavares and Mohamed Elneny makes way for Granit Xhaka in midfield.

Arsenal XI: Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney, Martinelli, Partey, Xhaka, Saka, Odegaard, Lacazette

Subs: Okonkwo, Holding, Soares, Tavares, Lokonga, Elneny, Pépé, Nketiah, Aubameyang

Really like this team! COYG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Very strong line up. In fairness to Arteta he has dropped Auba so credit due.

Not sure of the balance here... I'll wait and see how they line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Going to a club in turmoil, expected to win….. cue an Arsenal 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

In case yiz didn't know Mike Dean is the referee tonight 👿

• Advertisement
Advertisement