Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Another bit of brilliance from Hansen there. Created that try out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Indeed it did.

He waltzed through a wall of internationals for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hansen might make Ireland squads if he works on his defence. Stepped twice for trys tonight.

Dillanes second row partner is bate. Needs subbing quick

We have seen that story before, a winger excellent in attack that needs to work on D.

• Advertisement

There’s been no problem with Hansen’s defence in any other games. Probably should have tackled Sheehan but Sheehan is just about as quick, big and athletic as any hooker on the planet. And took that final pass at pace. Not an easy man to take down in that position I’d wager.

Made a complete balls of that final chance to get a losing try bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Poor old Conor Fitz had a bit of a nightmare cameo, was a great chance of a try at the end there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Hansen was my player of the match, he had so many classy plays he deserved it, Van der Flier was good, maybe the Sheehan try went against Hansen. The Larmour try wasn’t his fault at all, Robb clean missed that tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

That was a great game of rugby. So we lost but we were not shabby. And we have improved so much in the last few months. So all good from my perspective

• Advertisement

Also, why didn’t McNulty’s try stand when Baird fumbled it over his own line? And why wasn’t Toner penalised for crawling before Baird’s try towards the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Last play was symptomactic, throwing the ball away because we are not physical enough

Fifita'a helped for a very good 30 min

Augier disappointing

Handling quite good, probably best in the league

Connacht vs Leinster is like Scotland/Jepan vs Ireland/England

brillance sometimes win often lose, vs oiled machine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Same may apply vs Leicester if we're not taking risks

no issue with back-line, Porch and Aki will be important extra cherries

But here's the pack I want in England

Tuimauga Delahunt Bealham

Dowling Fifita'a

Prendergast Papali'i Boyle

subs

Burke Heff Illo/McCoy

Murray

Butler

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He’s an absolute live wire in attack tho, amazing start to his Connacht career. Larmour a good point of comparison; a player who could’ve done an awful lot better for tries conceded both this and last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

To be fair to Jordan, jack carthy just put that ball on the money. I don't believe anybody could have defended such a brilliant kick. It was inch perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

100% agree. Watched the replay a number of times and not sure what Larmour could do as he was back peddling and hansen was coming onto it at full speed. Pin point kick from Carty as well.

I had watched a few games with Hansen previously, last weekend, but was always in background so not paying full attention. First time last night and he looks incredible talent. I made a joke about the step on the other thread but I would put it down more to a quality step from Sheehan.

Exceptional find for Connacht and they really had Leinster on the ropes at different stages during the game. Even Welsh fans on another forum I am on telling people to flick on the match because it was a cracker.....another great advert for the URC and Irish rugby

Did anyone notice the incident where Sammy Arnold got hit in the face and was down for a few minutes before receiving attention? I thought it was Doris pushed him in the face off the ball in the first half, was wondering why it wasn’t looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

How good was porter when he came on ?

We gave it a good go and two try decisions went against us, Baird's and McNulty's. Thought the decisions were ok but McNulty's was almost certainly a try even though there was no visible grounding and Baird's was probably a knock on but too many bodies to see it. Would have made the last 10 interesting. Overall Leinster deserved it but we continued our good run of form while missing Porch Daly Aki Boyle Murray and Prendergast 6 likley starters if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I heard Carty mention it to the ref who said if there was anything in it the tmo would tell him

Problem with McNultys was the on field decision was no try so if there was no clear footage showing the grounding they couldn’t overturn. Based on the angles shown if it was Leinster scoring I’d have felt it would have been harsh to give them the try so can’t feel too bad we weren’t given it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I thought the Connacht non-try should have been given tbh, I don't see how it wasn't grounded, but I guess they actually need to see it given the on-field was no try. Very unlucky.

It was handbags at best, yes I think it was Doris and it was off the ball but from the view I seen it wasn't in the face. Not sure why the player was down for a few minutes unless they though lying on the ground for a while would make the ref review the situation, nothing in it suggested he was hurt

Now I could be wrong as watching without the replay function on the TV but that was my view

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Stade 25 La Rochelle 20

Tough match ahead next Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Any idea what happened to Dowling? Fifita started instead and I wondered if it was due to a knock of just a late change?

I thought Burke did reasonably well again, Alaalatoa seemed to be constantly in the ref's ear about him, but IIRC Leinster just got the one scrum penalty (Aungier under pressure from Porter).

Overall I felt it was a decent display by Connacht, especially give they were understrength. A couple of decisions didn't go their way (the McNulty and Dev try calls), but didn't determine the result. Leinster's top talent really showed their stuff (JVDF, Doris, Porter, Sheahan).

Some how the last night I completely missed that there was a camera angle that shows McNulty grounding the ball. Only seeing it on the Monday highlights here. Pretty bad miss by the TMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Saw the same angle on against the head last night, cant say I remember it being shown from that angle on TG4 on Friday night.

The grounding from McNulty was never in question as far as I was concerned, the question was if Baird grounded the ball prior to him. In the end they said Baird grounded the ball so it didn't matter what mcNulty did after that. They showed the angle on Premier which clearly showed him grounding the ball

The TMO said that Baird hadn't grounded the ball but they had no clear sight of McNulty grounding the ball.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter and most likely wasn't going tp change the result of the game.

• Advertisement

They seemed to slow down the video at a point where the ball was under Baird's thigh for a second, did they rule that the ball was touched down off his leg?

Other than that I couldn't see why that was given as a grounding, even at that it's a poor call in my opinion.

Advertisement