Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Just call the younger ones "Plague Rats." It's what I do. Gives them an identity to share.

If there are actual functioning brain cells in that group, that can use a computer or smart phone, have them watch this compendium and ask them if they want to go through the same, with the HSE administering the treatment: https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/post/amy-briar-bement-47-rush-county-in-customer-service-mgr-anti-vaxx-dead-from-covid?commentId=3bcd9b01-76ee-4938-a4e7-2a0d15a67e19

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You do know that calling people names is an extremely ineffective way to get anyone to do anything? Added to which your complete obsession on this suggests you might need a pause and reflect moment or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hard to blame us. I don't have any faith in restrictions being eased or life getting back to normal even with a successful booster roll out. There is no stick without a carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Why are we back in this mess again then if that's the case?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Certainly with some it's a case of rebels without a clue and you're unlikely to ever reach them, for others they're asking pretty valid questions. Waterford has the highest levels of vaccination in the nation with 99.7% of the over 18's vaccinated and currently has the highest rates of infection running at triple the national average. We're one of the most vaccinated nations in Europe, but our cases are climbing. The government introduced measures like midnight closing for pubs and hotels to reduce spread. A move that is 100% about llooking like they're doing something, but is about as scientifically and medically valid as homeopathy, AKA a complete bloody nonsense only believed by morons. The government is hell bent on keeping schools open, ignoring hard evidence from previous pandemics that schools are a hotbed of transmission(any parent or teacher could have told them that). The same experts and government who were pushing handwashing like an OCD sufferer, the same experts and government who pushed daftly contrary advice on masks, the same experts and government who told us visiting elderly rellies was OK when we were watching Italy's elderly dying like flies. The same successive givernments that have pretty much ignored the parlous state of our emergency healthcare and lack of capacity for forty years. They did get the vaccination drive right and in short order, so kudos there, but it's clearly not working to the degree they and the science promised. No wonder people are asking questions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Because people risk-compensate, or to put it another way: the vaccines have allowed us safely gain a decent level of immunity and live fairly normal lives without the fear of serious illness from the virus.

Lots of people, myself included, speculated on probable herd immunity from vaccination, and in hindsight that seems like a triumph of hope over evidence, but in fairness that confidence was not coming from epidemiologists.

Nonetheless, I very much doubt we will be in for annual boosters, regardless of what Pfizer shareholders might wish for. This virus is novel, but it's not that novel.

This drama will eventually ebb, one way or another. In the meantime it'd be nice if we could try to remain some measure of civility, compassion and empathy and not overreact to the opinions of nutcases on the sidelines.

The study characterized the risk as 1 in 26,000 for males over 16. Re-framing it another way (x in y million) makes subsequent calculations unwieldy.

To compare the risk of developing myocarditis from covid versus the vaccine, we must factor the probability of either leading event (vaccination or infection) occurring. They are not equally weighted.

ie [i](chance of catching covid) x (risk of myocarditis)[/i] versus [i](chance of being vaccinated) x (risk of vaccine-induced myocarditis)[/i]

It is not a given that the unvaccinated person will catch covid. This number is somewhere between 0 and 1.

On the other side of the equation, your chance of being vaccinated is 1 or 0. If you choose to be vaccinated it is 1, if you opt-out it is 0.

Two things complicate matters:

1) A vaccinated person can still catch covid, and still run the risk of covid-induced myocarditis. This risk is lower due to the protection afforded, but it exists nonetheless and must be included in the calculation. I don't have the numbers but it is a non-zero risk. An unvaccinated person however cannot catch the vaccine. They will never run the risk of vaccine-induced myocarditis.

2) As we head towards regular vaccinations, the vaccinated person will run their risk again, and again, and again. An unvaccinated person will not. Their risk of a single infection tends towards 1 over time, but repeat infections are rare. Anyone with a basic grounding in probability cannot ignore this when talking about the risk of covid versus the risk of vaccination.

Makes sense

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Boost me up baby, hook it to my veins

Remember when herd immuinity would sort it

Remember when Covid zero would sort it

Remember when the vaccine would sort it

Remember when 90% uptake would sort it

Remember when the booster would sort it . . . oh

• Advertisement

Agreed. Questions must be asked. And should be asked. And agreed that the efficacy of the shots is underwhelming. My misgivings don't outweigh my sense of responsibility towards other people though. And at the same time, I wouldn't condemn those that don't get a shot -- everyone is navigating through this in their own way.

Assuming (and it's a big one) that this emerged from the Wuhan lab, my ire right now is reserved for the authorities in France (building), the US (funding), and China who enabled the Wuhan Lab to reach a point where it could create viruses like covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it's naïve at this point to think that any one thing or multiple things will "sort it" as much as some would wish it to.

At the moment it's boosters for the vulnerable, pills for serious cases and let the virus run through everyone else while trying to keep the hospitals running. Nasal vaccines may help more on transmission, hard to see if other vaccines will make much of a different (biggest boon might be a combined flu/COVID jab that would have high annual uptake).

It's going to be interesting to see how the previously zero Covid countries get out of this now without a lot of pain.

Risk of myocarditis, and much worse myocarditis, from Covid, is higher for unvaccinated. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7035e5.htm#:~:text=Some%20studies%20have%20indicated%20an,varied%20by%20sex%20and%20age.

Israeli study re-emphasizing that there is a risk of mild myocarditis from the vaccine: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2110737

The point I am making is that you are comparing the risk profile of two events as though the likelihood of each event is equal. As though you can have one shot of the vaccine or one infection of covid. One or the other.

In the real world it is not this simple, because we are seemingly heading towards a regime of regular boosters. Taking vaccines every few months. Mixing vaccines. Now the calculation for the risk of vaccine side-effects becomes much more complicated. The other side of the equation is that while you are taking 3 or 4 shots a year the unvaccinated person may not even get covid once.

I can say with mathematical certainty that with repeated vaccines, eventually the risk of the vaccine becomes higher than none at all for the majority of the population. It is simple probability and can be proved in an irrefutable way. What I cannot say (yet) is how many shots it takes for this to occur. But these are the questions that need to be answered.

I have posed one previously - if you have not developed myocarditis after 2 shots then what is your risk for the subsequent 2 shots ? Nobody has an answer to this and nobody should embrace a regime of boosters until we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

That's the same as saying if you don't OD from two shots of skag, youre good to go for another two.. Complete lunacy.

Assuming something like, say, nosebleeds are a risk of vaccines for any disease, then yeah, the more vaccines of any time, the more likely you'll have a nosebleed.

Your mathematical probability doesn't take into account the impact of the disease versus the side-effect of the vaccine. More boosters - more chance of side effect (nosebleed). However, if its a vaccine that requires boosters - which seems to be the case in some of the vaccines in this generation, is a nosebleed more serious, than the disease? You're proposing it is. I say, nonsense. It's not simply mathematics when it comes to disease and suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Let's be honest here... this is not a vaccination.

It's a flu shot.

Same as the one I get every year for the flu. MMR is a vaccine.

Despite what I think, YES I am getting the booster this Wednesday.

Having travelled all over the world and having to have different shots throughout my life... yellow fever, etc..etc..

The fact that these shots were given as the solution to this pandemic is without doubt one of the biggest lies to be told in all of this.

However, am I going to take something that may ease the symptoms if I do manage to catch it? OF COURSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Did I get that part wrong?

Oh dear me.... could it be a parody of what I am hearing each day? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭patnor1011

There is no such thing as mild myocarditis. That is from a doctor. You either have myocarditis or not.

Every myocarditis is dangerous and there is nothing mild about it.

• Advertisement

1 death from the 136 that occurred in the Israel study. The rest all recovered, some with medication. Note that the 'mild myocarditis' was a quote from the Israel study.

Most any infection is dangerous when treated by an HSE doctor 😜.

Per a convo by vaccine expert and arch-enemy of the antivaxx movement, Dr. Paul Offitt, it's treatable with anti-inflammatory.

Especially that the myocarditis we're talking about, is a 1:40000 occurrence (per Offitt) in young, healthy men.

And he mentioned that pre-vaccine, some US college football team had 100% covid and all the athletes had myocarditis, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭monkeyactive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

It will be interesting to see if the booster uptake amongst the young/healthy population will be as successful as the first 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's leaders and there's followers in all walks of life. Leaders sail over the horizon to see what's there, they innovate, they explore, they chance it, they care for their community, they are calculated risk takers, they research & educate themselves, they brave it for the followers.

The followers are risk adverse, slightly craven, indecisive, hang back in the shadows & see what the leaders do, make sure it's ok and follow like sheep and usually end up working for the leaders. If things go wrong they blame the leaders, applaud their hesitancy, claim coercion and look for compensation.

It never changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Obviously not as high, but with some countries requiring a booster for travelling, even if the domestic covid pass doesn't require a booster in future, it looks increasingly likely for international travel it will. Most on here want to get out of this 'kip', so they may need their booster to emigrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I know so many people who took the vaccine not because they felt they needed it but because the thought it was the path to freedom. Or at least thought it would minimize the chances of getting and spreading it. Some misguidingly thought they would be immune to it, which is more worrying in that they took something and did absolutely zip research into it. That's another's day work.

Now the NPHET Government are going to have to try and convince healthy people under 40 to take it again. The reasoning be

1. It's your path to freedom

2. To reduce your chances of contracting and spreading the virus.

3. Your own safety.

When people know full well, your booster (or what Leo Varadkar has marketed as your third dose) won't be your path to no restrictions. The percentage gains of contracting/spreading the virus via a booster are minimum. And you've already had 2 doses, you are under 40 and healthy, the virus is no risk to you.

Another thing that won't get talked about in media are football matches in England being suspended because of people becoming unwell. 2 premier League games during the week being stopped because of fans becoming unwell. 1 championship game on Saturday. 3 players the week before (1 apparently unvaccinated). It's not a great a look. You are not going to stop people asking questions in the comfort of their own homes or within group chats with friends. It's happening and nobody can explain why. Or even wants to investigate it.

So if you are under 40 and healthy, what is the selling point of getting a booster? The last 2 didn't seem to have changed things much. Government/Health officials have lost trust in terms of lifting restrictions. You have a lot of unexplained stuff going on that nobody seems to want to investigate.

Sell this 3rd jab/booster to us? What is in it for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's a relatively easy sell in Ireland where if something is deemed respectable, most will go along with it ( not getting vaccination viewed as being not respectable)

Can see slow uptake in other countries where not following the crowd isn't the end of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes, I think they'll get to 70-80% in Ireland. Abroad is the bigger issue. You have countries within the EU 60-70% initial take up, with their own countries posturing to say you will be considered unvaccinated if you don't get a booster. Are these countries going to get to 50% booster uptake? I would say not a chance.

So they'll essentially create a 2 tiered society. The majority are in the bottom tier (and a fair few people jabbed who are against vaccine/booster mandates too). It's not pretty around Europe at the moment. Now over the next 2 months, passes will be revoked for younger people.

Inflation blowing up. Energy shortages. Civil unrest with vaccine/booster mandates. A European Spring could be on the cards. All the whilst Vlad is rolling into Ukraine and Serbia take back East Bosnia.

Things are going to get wild.

Post edited by Richard Hillman on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Until yesterday I was leaning towards No but still a bit on the fence. I'm a No now.

Might regret it when the next golf trip comes along and I wont be allowed on a plane but I just cant go along with this anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Got my booster shot the other day. First asked if I'd had Covid in the last 6 months - got a negative PCR in October, so no. Then told about side effects being slightly more 'intense' with a risk of myocarditis and signs to watch for and actions to be taken. Then , "are you certain you want this, you CAN say no". Jab away, says I.

We're seeing the new variant in Africa, which to my reading has been caused by allowing the virus greater circulation due to lack of vaccine take up. During this round of circulation yet another strain has developed.

If getting a booster reduces the chances of further circulation of the virus and hopefully also the opportunity for it to develop a variant, gives me added protection, then I'm all for it. I'm no scientist, so I have to put my faith in the medical profession in Ireland. Which I do, with the utmost confidence.

BTW, the immediate side effects - headache, tiredness and aches were all much worse than anything I had before. Waning significantly now 48 hours later.

Advertisement