Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They kept the country closed during two summers when cases were minimal and deaths effectively zero.

Fact is that the **** don't care about the numbers unless it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah they've come out the other side great. All they needed to do was let 4 million people die to get there. And lets not pretend their hospitals never got overrun.

Sure, we can let tens of thousands die in Ireland, stop hospital care for all other ailments as they get overrun and start prepping the inevitable mass graves, then those that are left will enjoy much greater freedoms and high herd immunity half a year from now. But I don't think that's what NPHET are aiming for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

So we have 93%+ vaccinated (plus boosters) and 0.01% of the population in hospital due to COVID and we are introducing more restrictions.

Bonuses all round boys, good job 👏🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Did you even read the article?

No one has any real idea the amount of deaths in India from covid.

Could be 400,000 to 4 million.

Which isn't that much more than us when put in comparison to population size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The whole “god everyone is really doing their but to get numbers down” like we asked but let’s just fire ahead with a raft of more restrictions because like, well.. we can, genuinely just feels like grade A level trolling at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

With covid, WITH, that word always seems to be missing

BTW India were burning bodies long before Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

But even since the first report back in October, the number of people who passed away in ICU who were fully vaccinated always outnumbered unvaccinated people.

It's down to the age profile of deaths and the high % uptake in said demographic. That has never really been questioned before and people understood it, so why bring it up?

It's also well known that people die outside of ICU, mainly in fully vaccinated people. Has been since the start.

When you look at the % of cases split among vaccinated and unvaccinated people and their subsequent % being hospitalized and needing ICU, you can clearly see the impact unvaccinated people have on the health system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Positivity increasing on swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Great news!!

Thanks. Another small step out of this, instead of hiding and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's been known throughout this pandemic that the older you you the higher risk you have of death.

The elderly are the most at risk of death and also the highest vaccinated, therefore they are always going to be disproportionally represented in deaths.

When the first HSE report came out in September, this was no surprise. People understood it. Vaccines wont save 100% of people 100% of the time.

You are the one saying:

read the official HSPC data for yourself, it makes for uncomfortable reading

We've been reading the same data since September, maybe it's easier for you to see what we've all seen for the past 4 months?

It's a HSE/HPSC report, nothing got to do with Government or NPHET.

I'm sure the report will make for some uncomfortable reading for people when they realize the number of cases/hospitalizations/ICU admissions among unvaccinated people. As the report is more detailed, you wouldn't be focusing on deaths among vaccinated people to hide the undue strain the unvaccinated place on the HSE? I think as a whole, we have accepted we will have death from/due to covid. The main issue is hospitals/ICU capacity, which most people accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

For now, which begs the question why not let the virus rip amongst the population while the elderly and vulnerable are ripe for protection following their 3rd shot. Are the powers that be actually waiting to see if the third shot wanes too???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Then level with the population and say that the vaccines they thought were great are actually... hmmm what's the term Nolan uses... ah yes... snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They don't have to wait and see. They know it wanes, just look at Israel it's happening there already just months after widespread boosters. Now they are talking about a fourth dose. Its madness at this stage to keep thinking each subsequent vaccine will somehow do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I can't understand why the Gov are doing this, the hospital numbers are going down. If they started to go up again then bring in the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Hospital numbers are more stable than coming down. We say what happened last Christmas, a lot of people behaved irresponsibly and the government does not want that, at least until this new variant gas been calibrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

35 years old here and single. I ended up in between jobs just prior to the pandemic kicking off and remain so. From the beginning I felt like the government were paying lip service and would have loads of time to get away with speeches and the likes before many people actually wised up to their spineless nature. This was just my gut feeling and so has proved to be the case. It's been a frustrating two years to say the least and it's had a drastic effect on my mental health. It's also made me incredibly cynical and jaded with life. Despite all this, I always felt (or maybe just hoped) that a certain point would come where a long term strategy would arrive and at least a sizeable degree of normality would return.

Today is the first time though that I've really felt like my future does not lie in Ireland and I absolutely hate that the government have forced me into this position, particularly when they pick and choose when to "follow the science" and when not to do so. People in my age group/scenario are in no way more important than any other group but I do feel like we have been forgotten about more than most. Not old enough to get particularly sick (in most cases) but not young enough to feel like there's endless time to wait around for this ****-storm to end.

Then you look at those three clowns in charge of this country who have long since proven that they aren't capable to lead in times of crisis. They don't have it in them. Leaders should be people possessing skills that can be utilised in the absolute worst of circumstances with the hope such situations may never arise. When you think of our so called leaders in these terms you realise just how pathetic and lacking they are. Today they basically said that this Winter is not quite as **** as last Winter and hopefully next year will be slightly less **** still. Talk about grim. The worst thing is they seem to have stopped any real optimistic talk of the future. It's all "the virus will have many twist and turns" etc and "each stage will be dealt with as it arrives". I don't mean to sound so depressing and ultimately I will be fine (whether I am in Ireland or not) but it's very disheartening. The Xmas restrictions are disheartening but nowhere near as disheartening as knowing that such a bunch of useless empty suits are in charge of this nation. Some people might agree with the restrictions and of course that is their right but I think that even a lot of them will feel that this lot will let them down in some capacity sooner or later, whether it be covid-related or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I should preface my post by saying that I was in favour of removing restrictions months ago and haven't changed that view.

That said, I'm surprised at the level of vehemence that this announcement had caused. This is how it was reported in The Guardian, which I coincidentally happened to read before anything here

Ireland has reintroduced restrictions to combat the risk posed by the Omicron Covid variant.

However the government stopped short of cancelling Christmas but has restricted interactions in private settings to four households.

Nightclubs will be closed from next Tuesday until 9 January; strict social distancing will be required in bars and restaurants with mandatory table service and a maximum of six people allowable per table.

The measures will return the country to limits which were in force until as recently as 22 October in a blow to the night time economy.

Indoor and sporting venues will be limited to 50% capacity and sporting events must be fully seated and a Covid certificate evidence double vaccination will be required for access to hotels and gyms.

In a televised announcement, taoiseach Micheál Martin said: “Our public health experts have been exceptionally clear in their advice to government. The risks associated with proceeding into the Christmas period without some restrictions…is just too high.”

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Has the government actually "restricted interactions in private settings to four households" or is it just advice?

Regardless, as I see it these relatively light restrictions won't make any difference. People will do exactly what they did last Christmas, and work around the restrictions with multiple table bookings, private parties etc. The extension in scope of COVID passes won't make a difference either.

What makes a difference to behaviour is people limiting contacts when case rates are very high, at the point when they start hearing about people they know being infected. And then Christmas comes and they forget all that.

Rather selfishly, what I care about is that the schools are open after Christmas. Last year took a heavy toll, and I don't want a repeat.

The thing I really don't get is why people are claiming to be shunning boosters as a reaction to this. If I take one it'll be to reduce the risk I pose to my last living parent and to reduce the amount of time I have to take off work (and useless to my family) if I get COVID. The exact same reasons I took the first two doses. Do other people not have these responsibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I will preface this by saying I don’t watch the news or the announcements.

What is the rationale for bringing in these restrictions? Is it the uncertainty around omicron? Or trying to prevent a repeat of last year? Hospitals are stable enough

I really do feel awful for those whose livelihoods are affected. I suppose it’s little comfort that there are more severe restrictions in place around Europe - I hope we will avoid those.

Like lumen above I just hope the schools can stay open. Last year was hard. One of my boys who is disabled had almost nothing for nearly five months. I happened to be out of work at same time which was fortunate in retrospect. But it was hard.

I’ll be five months post 2nd vaccine next week. My boys are about to turn five as well so hope we can get our Jabs soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

People are shunning boosters because the actions of the Govt suggest that it won’t make a blind bit of difference to the removal of restrictions and the return to normality in this country.

We were sold the vision 12 months ago, that yes, 2020 was rough on everyone but we have these vaccines now and by rolling them out we can reclaim our lives back from the virus and start to live with it rather than have it consume every facet of our lives.

And, for the vast majority of people, we all agreed. We turned up at vaccine clinics/gps/pharmacies when asked and took our two shots to help get the country back on its feet and thriving again.

Only now it’s been shown that’s not the case at all. With 93% of eligible people fully vaccinated and 800,000 third doses already administered, not to mention falling ICU numbers and hospital admissions, we are back with more restrictions being levelled on us. We upheld our end of the social contract and got nothing in return.

So when the Govt are asking fit and healthy people to come forward for a third dose (and it won’t stop at three judging by Israel), people are asking why? Why are we to be continually jabbed while there isn’t a scrap of long-term planning within Govt? People are rightly sceptical about the future and the “for real guys, this jab will be the one that unlocks everything again” isn’t flying anymore when we heard the same thing a year ago and nothing changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

So you do actually leave the house then? Or did you see that from peering through your curtins

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

“So when the Govt are asking fit and healthy people to come forward for a third dose (and it won’t stop at three judging by Israel), people are asking why? Why are we to be continually jabbed while there isn’t a scrap of long-term planning within Govt?”

To protect ourselves from a potentially nasty dose.? I don’t know about you but I have a full time job to be doing and significant caring responsibilities. I can’t be sick and if there’s a way of avoiding it I’ll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hospitals being stable now is irrelevant. The winter spike really starts mid December and peaks in January so that’s what they are worried about. We (including NPHET) are only guessing about what will happen but we know it’s disaster every year, even without Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

i took the vaccine to protect elderly relatives - but it turns out not to do that. They have had their boosters, it would probably make more sense medically for them to have my booster in 3 months time. I don’t want or need it, and I’m damn well not being forced into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't believe they're even analysing the numbers or double checking data themselves, they appear to be in awe of and only believe everything nphet tell them. I'd say people on here are more clued in to the numbers than many in cabinet. Its the only explanation I have for them standing over introducing more restrictions. I don't understand how there isn't more dissenting voices in politics, whatever about lack of backbenchers making noises, the opposition are useless and have given the government a free ride at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Reading through some of the posts and I see posts stating that people are shunning boosters.....I dont think that's true in general. The booster programme is going very well in terms of take up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If you are old then boosters make sense. If you're under 50 the benefits are marginal at best. It won't stop you getting or spreading covid. So, no, its not same as getting the first two shots. I haven't seen anything to suggest it will reduce the time you have to take off work as any positive result still requires a crazy 10 days of isolation.

The best way for your parent to reduce their risk is to take the booster.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement