Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kieran Creaven at it again..

Options

Comments

In order to prove liable he has to do 2 things, prove what is posted is incorrect and then prove the incorrect posting damaged his reputation. Ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The only interesting thing in all of that for me was this 14 yr old Irish boy who had a girls profile on Facebook. It looks like he cat fished a pedo and then had immediate regret when he received a video of a middle aged man masturbating. All I have to say to that kid is, play with fire and you might burned. Hopefully it frightened him off such encounters in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thats not interesting. Its worrying and upsetting. And its disturbing that you would be so unsympathetic to a 14 year old who has been exposed to this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't see how interesting and sympathetic are mutually exclusive reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

There's a campaign in England at the minute to make the sending of unsolicited explicit images a crime - think it already is in Scotland. Many's the young, and not so young female have had this happen to them and society tolerates it & makes a joke of it - but when it's a 14 year boy on the receiving end it's seen as somehow worse. Double standards. I would support chemical castration in all sexual crime convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How long will he do in prison? Sentences to run concurrently and backdated. Natural life should be an option for the judge for this kind of crime.

I'm not sure you meant this but it reads like you think sending dick pics should be a sexual crime and that all sexual crimes should carry a sentence that includes chemical castration. Seems a bit harsh. I'm with you in that it's very rude to send such an image to an adult but that seems like an overly harsh punishment, not to mention it's got to be against human rights to involuntarily castrate someone.

You don't think it is worse in the case where a 14 yr old is the recipient? I mean it's a child who is still developing emotionally.

Ok

You saw it as "interesting"

You then were very unsympathetic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I dont think anyone said its worse about a 14 year old boy receiving images.

Terry Pratchet

I am not unsympathetic, I feel great sympathy, there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Nothing to do with libel. I like to remain anonymous here and vent at people 😀😁

It did not involve underage - though he was only a teen himself at the time and nothing that was illegal - just perverse and you'd probably put it down as teen angst

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Maybe read the thread, Shay Kahn earlier brought up chemical castration and I was agreeing with the principle. I was also making the point that sending unsolicited explicit images has become commonplace and acceptable & society just laughs it off and it happens often to younger females without great opprobrium. Anyone, girls, boys or adults should not have to tolerate unsolicited dick pics or **** videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I get the feeling that rte are enjoying reporting on this individual. They have to mention that he is a former rte employee in every headline. I don't know if it is overcompensating in trying to show what a transparent and self critical organisation they are, or whether they just like smelling their own farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

or that the usual anti-rte crew would be harping on that rte are not saying that he was an ex employee. They can;t win.

But what it also shows that he was not a "loner". He was in a large organisation and worked closely with a large number of people and was able to keep the dark side very well hidden. Even he unfortunate ex-wife did not have a clue. Though I suspect she knew he was cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭DeadHand

10 years (almost certainly significantly less) isn't enough.

20 years or life without parole would better protect humanity.

Of course, my preferred sentence would involve a strong branch and a length a rope.

It sounds like there’s more to come. The criminal investigation is ongoing. Which shows he doesn’t have an ounce of remorse within him except for the fact that he got caught. I believe that in order to bring closure for victims both known and unknown in cases like this, there should be some small incentive provided to the perpetrator if they fully cooperate. It’s a small way to reduce the pain for the victims, save a costly trial and start an appropriate punishment regime for the predator. A clear and transparent cooperation scale could be introduced-its then up to them.

His guilty plea was only the minimum he could have done and given the video evidence you couldn’t even praise him for doing that. It was a foregone conclusion he was guilty.

Kieran Creavan has made a massive mistake here which I hope will follow him for the rest of his life-by not cooperating and helping Gardai identify past victims, and bring total closure not only to the victims but to himself, he risks the same sentence again in 6.5 years time when he walks out of prison looking forward to his RTÉ pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sinister end to the RTE report. "The Probation Service in the UK however has found that Kieran Creaven poses a high risk of harm to children and is a moderate risk of reoffending. The Probation Service here has also assessed him as a "moderate risk". It means that while it's likely he may not abuse children again, there is also a chance that he will."

we don’t need to be probation officers or psychologists to figure that one out- I’m surprised they say “moderate risk” - if free to go back to disadvantaged countries which he’s done already I’d say he’d be an off the scale risk of reoffending.

it’s got me thinking - how many Irish travel to such countries as so called sex tourists? Many years ago a guy did some work on our garden - he was single, well into his 40s - it was summer time- he’d spend all summer working all the hours, build up a money supply and then spend his winters in Vietnam and Thailand - I didn’t ask any further questions as this just raised some alarm bells with me. Maybe I was unfair to him by thinking that but there was something about him that made me think that way.

Jesus. Thailand and Vietnam are beautiful countries, very cheap with good weather during our winters.

If I knew someone that did that, I would think lucky them, they have the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You'd be the only person not thinking that the man is going over there for some sort of sordid purposes, whether it's true or not. Any single men I've ever seen go over tto those places are usually looking for a "good time" occasionally bringing a woman back with them.

That's the reasonable side of what goes on over there, we all know how much paedophilia is rampant in those places, it's not a secret.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Didn't they once accidentally target a paedtricitan? Not the sharpest spoons in the drawer.

That said, I've no problem with vigilante investigation - none whatsoever - but vigilate justice is different.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Well I know many that go and it's not for any kind of sordid reasons

Says more about the posters here then anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Noi, that was some natives in some dump in the south of England who march on the house of a paediatrician

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No it doesn't say more about posters here than anything else.

The problem of sex tourism in those countries is common knowledge.

If you're saying that isn't the case then you're just being purposefully obtuse, as usual.

Glazers Out!

There is a massive tourist trade in those countries, literally hundreds of thousands of people go on holidays there, myself included, and many people I know. They are also very high up for backpacking too.

I never said there isn't a problem with sex tourism. I said anyone who automatically thinks of that when they hear of someone visiting there, says more about them. Which it does.

There’s a huge difference between a bunch of college buddies heading off on a gap year or end of college break, a couple and/or their friends heading off for a holiday, and a single man in his 40s heading there alone- a fcking hell of a difference. We weren’t talking about holiday makers in this thread and we’ll you know it so go take your trolly posts elsewhere

I merely pointed out that automatically presuming that a single visitor to any South East Asian country are there for sex tourism says more about the person presuming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,870 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There are suspected links to the far right with these groups (EDL, Britain First etc) and most of their very vocal supporters on social media are obvious racists, far right types etc

No sympathy at all for Creaven, a total creep and self serving predator, but I've no time for that vigilante crowd either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, it's like the IRA trying to target drug dealers in order to improve their image.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Advertisement